Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk > Hardware Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12th June 2008, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Default Using a Bluetooth Headset for in-game chat on a PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dummy! View Post
Wondering, is there any way for us to chat to each other in game?
Like Team Speak or text
Absolutely! Most multiplayer PS3 games support bluetooth headsets.

I know Warhawk came with one in the box when you bought the game, but you can use any headset or earpiece that you'd typically use with a mobile phone. I use a Jabra BT135. You can pick up Jabra headsets pretty cheap in the likes of the Telstra Shop or Optusworld, or really any of those stands you see that have mobile phone accessories. I wouldn't pay much more than 30 bucks for one.

The setup is pretty easy and fairly intuitive on the PS3.

Turn on your Playstation 3, and from the main menu go to Settings - Accessory Settings - Register Bluetooth Device
You will be presented with two options:
Register BD Remote Control
Register Headset/Microphone/Headphones

Select Register Headset... and put your Bluetooth headset into pairing mode. On your PS3 select Start Scanning
Select your device and enter your pairing code. In most cases for audio devices the default pairing code is "0000"
Now on your PS3, go to Audio Device Settings and change your "Input Device" and "Output Device" to your Bluetooth headset name. Speak into it and watch your "Mic Level" move.

There's a thread on Playstation Network forums that has both a how-to, and, helpfully, a list of supported games:
*Bluetooth Headset Guide- GTA IV edition! - PLAYSTATION®3 General - PlayStation.com Forums

umm.. that's about it.
Personally, I've used the headset with GTA4, Burnout Paradise, Resistance:Fall of Man, Motorstorm, and of course, Warhawk.

edit: PS. Because the PS3 is fully Bluetooth compatible (the controllers themselves are bluetooth devices), you can also couple any bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse as well. I have a Microsoft bluetooth multimedia keyboard that came with a PC. I use that with my PS3 whenever I need to type messages to PSN friends. It's a hell of a lot easier than using the on-screen keyboard and game controller.
The mouse support is pretty limited though. Although it's fully supported by the PS3 itself, and you can zoom around the screen and use the online PSN Store, you can't really use it in-game. (Yeh, I know, I can hear those FPSers grumbling now)
The only reason is, of course, that the games themselves don't support mouse/kb.

Last edited by Cadder; 12th June 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: added footnote re: text
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th June 2008, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1381

exellent! Gona buy on Monday!!

Cant wait to VS you fellas
Dummy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2008, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

I'll see if I can get a mod to sticky this. Great post

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

Hey guys
I have just ordered these from ebay in the UK
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gioteck-EX-01-Bluetooth-Headset-PS3/dp/B00111SFEU]Amazon.co.uk: Gioteck EX-01 Bluetooth Headset for PS3: PC & Video Games[/ame]
These type of headphones were recommended to me by heaps of my burnout friends. I will let you know how they go

Also I have these ones
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we.../3621&cl=us,en

These are a great cheap ($40) set of headphones that work very well and set up easy with the PS3.
One great feature is the inline volume and mute controls

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 9

Is it possible to connect to Friends on PS3 and chat while playing COD4 or COD5 without hearing other people. I have a friend who I would like to play with but rather not have other people hear us talking and likewise would rather not hear others I don't know
Old 4th February 2009, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

from the two occasions i've played online with toggers (most notably cadder), i learnt that obtaining a headset is essential. not only would voice communication be more convenient than the oh-so-slow on-screen keyboard; it might also help me be more friendly like.

so i ask you guys which models/brand have you tried and can recomend?

the most important features to me are USB charging, and can attach to the ear like the official sony model.

Last edited by maggot_bag; 4th February 2009 at 07:19 PM.
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 07:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot_bag View Post
from the two occasions i've played online with toggers (most notably cadder), i learnt that obtaining a headset is essential. not only would voice communication be more convenient than the oh-so-slow on-screen keyboard; it might also help me be more friendly like.

so i ask you guys which models/brand have you tried and can recomend?

the most important features to me are USB charging, and can attach to the ear like the official sony model.
Maggot, I use a Jabra BT135 that I got thrown in freebie when I upgraded my Nokia. Being bluetooth, it works perfectly well with the PS3, and it has a USB charger.
I also got a Jabra BT125 (the previous model) in a bundle with Warhawk. My bro-in-lo uses that.
You can prolly pick up cheap Bluetooth earpieces in any phone shop or accessory stand - or even try fleaBay.
Old 4th February 2009, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Hey guys I have just ordered these from ebay in the UK Amazon.co.uk: Gioteck EX-01 Bluetooth Headset for PS3: PC & Video Games
Mate those are very cool looking, might have to invest myself in a pair of them.

Post the ebay link if you get a chance.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

will try the phone shops, your headset mic sounds clear enough.
some ive heard sound like they're playing outside in cyclonic weather, while other headsets make the player sound like short circuiting robo-parotts....or even 'robo-ducks'
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot_bag View Post
will try the phone shops, your headset mic sounds clear enough.
some ive heard sound like they're playing outside in cyclonic weather, while other headsets make the player sound like short circuiting robo-parotts....or even 'robo-ducks'
I was online with Click and another (non-TOG) regular Burner last night - they commented that my mic echoes. I might look into getting one of the other ones myself.