Old 29th June 2008, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Thank you again oh wise one

Old 1st July 2008, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Check this out.

IGN: Firmware 2.40 Impressions

I think I will not be the only one who does not renew his Xbox live subscription
Old 1st July 2008, 10:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9245

Breezy

2.40 should be out by the time you read this post.........well as long as your reading it tomorrow morning around 4am.

Anyway tomorrow should be the big day according to my son who is an avide forum reader.

All the best.
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

Your son is right

here is some info I found

Get more from online gaming on PLAYSTATION®3
with the free 2.40 firmware enhancement

PS3™ to give online gamers the features they’ve been requesting:
XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) access in-game and trophies available in this free, automatic system upgrade

June 30, 2008: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today announced new online gaming functionality for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™, which will become available on July 2, 2008 with the 2.40 enhancement, an automatic firmware upgrade that delivers several of the features most requested by gamers. Combined with PLAYSTATION®Network’s unique service of free* online gaming, the enhancement makes PS3 an even more attractive platform of choice for the online gamer.

Firstly, the 2.40 enhancement allows XMB™ (XrossMediaBar) access in-game. This means that you can access the PS3 menu at any time while playing most games, simply by tapping the PlayStation button on your controller. With 2.40, you can check if any of your friends are online (thanks to their own user profile), read and send messages, change some settings for games, all without having to quit the game you are playing. While you can’t pause an online multiplayer game involving other people, you can rejoin play at any time when you’ve finished browsing. Along with these enhanced communications features, the Friends list capacity will double to 100 Friends.

2.40 also delivers trophies to recognise players’ achievements in the online arena. Other competitive activities recognise winners with trophies – so why not gaming on PS3? Many online games will have gold, silver and bronze trophies – with platinum available for those who snag all three – all displayed on the XMB for everyone to see.

Super Stardust™ HD, a PLAYSTATION Network-exclusive released last year, will be the first game to leverage the Trophies system and will offer a variety of trophies. The following first-party games are also slated to offer Trophy support:

BUZZ!™ Quiz TV
LittleBigPlanet™
MotorStorm™ Pacific Rift
NBA 09 - PS3
PAIN
PixelJunk™ Eden
Resistance 2™
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
Warhawk™**

The 2.40 enhancement is just one more reason to join PSN, the online network for PS3 users that lets you game online for free*. All you need to do to join is connect your PS3 to broadband and register, or go to the connection guide at PlayStation.com - New Zealand to find out more.

Once in, you’ll find online matches and leagues for all of your favourite games – whether that’s MotorStorm, Resistance™, Warhawk™ or Gran Turismo™5 Prologue – absolutely free (although users are responsible for paying their broadband fees) and at any time of the day or night. You’ll also find PLAYSTATION®Store, where you can download entire games as well as extra levels, content for your existing games plus internet browsing, video chat thanks to PLAYSTATION®Eye and much, much more.

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 11:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

My son read it on a well known website which I can;t remember but they said Japan would see the release today and we are pretty much in line with them give or take an hour or so, should see the update as well.

Failing that I guess it will be tomorrow when the US get it.

My son's latest update on the availability is 5:00 PM this afternoon.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 2nd July 2008 at 03:26 PM.
Ancient_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1399

Seems there has been some problems with the 2.40 update. Updated: Latest PS3 update is bricking consoles

This is from the Playstation blog site http://blog.us.playstation.com/

Quote:
As has been reported on many gaming blogs and websites, we have temporarily taken Firmware v2.40 offline. We’ve received a limited number of calls from consumers experiencing an issue with installing the system software update on their PS3. While our consumer services department has seen a low volume of calls on this topic, we are committed to providing the PS3 community with XMB access features delivered in the v2.40 update. We are working diligently to isolate the problem for those few consumers and to identify a solution before we put the firmware back up.
We’ll provide further information as necessary here on the Blog.
TJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 03:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

We got the update 3pm yesterday when my son got home from High School.

Had not troubles installing on two PS3's.

Will keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 3rd July 2008, 04:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
We got the update 3pm yesterday when my son got home from High School.

Had not troubles installing on two PS3's.

Will keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for the heads up.
Same here, both mine seem fine.
Old 3rd July 2008, 05:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

No problems installing it
Just a little problem with voip in burnout but fixed now

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4582

Fine

Wow!

how many of you guys have 2 machines!!??

Is that so you can play games that are normally online multiplayer only against each other in the lounge.. what with 2 x 50inch screens.

That would be fanstastic.. I would almost do that so that I could play burnout with my mate...