Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk > Hardware Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28th November 2008, 07:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

I don't think it does. Sony have been very forthcoming in showing people how to do it. Still I will dig out the manual I got with the console and see if there is something mentioned about warranty voids.

I am guessing / hopping only the hard drive won't be covered, the console should remain under warranty.

Old 28th November 2008, 09:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9439

Breezy

I'm pretty sure your allowed to change the hard drive.

Mongrel can maybe shed some light on ths but a search online say's you can.

You can put the old one back in for the warrantee claim if you feel inclined. Which I would if their was a chance of replacing the unit as a whole.

All I can say is it's a good investment as their is so many demos / HD save requirements / wallpapers / expansions / downloadable games etc etc
Old 28th November 2008, 09:41 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6656

Grumpy

thanks for the input it will be something ill keep a note of.
Old 28th November 2008, 01:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
I'm pretty sure your allowed to change the hard drive.

Mongrel can maybe shed some light on ths but a search online say's you can.

You can put the old one back in for the warrantee claim if you feel inclined. Which I would if their was a chance of replacing the unit as a whole.

All I can say is it's a good investment as their is so many demos / HD save requirements / wallpapers / expansions / downloadable games etc etc
A_1 hit the nail on the head. You are allowed to do it and if you need to claim on the warranty, just put your old drive back in.

Just make sure you only open the Hard drive bay. Warranty is void if you "open" any other part of the console.
Old 28th November 2008, 03:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

sounds like a plan. i'll put the original hd back in if/when i claim on warranty. thanks fella's for the advice.
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)

Grumpy

Been going through the back catalog and it seems i have many games to catch up on i think i will be spending alot of time in the bargain buckets

Games like Assassins Creed, Heavenly Sword, Rainbow 6, Devil May Cry, Uncharted all good stuff i hope they sound decent enough.

EA sports series is a gnere of games im looking forward to play also yet i will most likely stick to the latest releases of these.

I am as yet unsure on what to do on the FPS front game such as COD and Fallout 3 i will be interested in playing yet to what format to get them on i am undecided.

All in all lots to look forward to.
Old 29th November 2008, 09:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC View Post
Heavenly Sword,
I haven't played this game but I did read that it hasn't aged well with all the recent updates to the PS3. Apparently it's very choppy and the framerates have suffered.
Maybe hired first to be safe

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 09:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9439

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC View Post
Assassins Creed, Drakes Uncharted.

FPS front game such as COD and Fallout 3.
Second Assassins Creed and Drakes Uncharted mate.

Play Drakes first then make a decision on whether you can play or want to play COD and Fallout 3 on PS3.

I love console FPS but it's not to all peoples tastes.
Old 29th November 2008, 09:24 AM   #29 (permalink)

Grumpy

Good advice i will do that thanks.
Old 29th November 2008, 04:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigoku View Post
Is the 80GB version backwards compatible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerryl View Post
My 80gig IS backwards compatible (Motorstorm bundle). 80's are software emulated, but most of the PS2 games work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
Maybe the 80gb is backward compatible in the US. As far as I know the only Ps3 that can play PS2 games in Aus is the 60gb model from launch.
When the PS3 was released in Aus, you could get a 20Gb, 60GB, or Cerryl's 80Gb. Both were BC, but as Cerryl mentioned, the 80 was software emulated, whereas the 60 was hardware (which effectively meant it had a PS3 and a PS2 processor both on the same motherboard. AFAIK, The 20 was dropped very quickly as it didn't sell.
The 80GBs got discontinued, then the 40GB was released. This was pure PS3 - no compatibility or emulation at all. (And the price dropped, since they were obviously cheaper to produce - remember they were $999 when they came out)
The 60GBs were then discontinued, and for a while, the 40 was the only unit you could get. A few months ago they RE-Released the 80GB version (which I'm presuming is what SnakeTails won), but it runs on the same architecture as the 40GB. (therefore not BC either)

So; are the 80GBs BC? it depends which version you have.
Incidentally, I got my 60GB off eBay after they were discontinued. Have a look, you'll notice the 60GBs are still more popular (and expensive) even compared to the newer 40GBs or even 80s. Full true Back-compatibility is the reason.

Last edited by Cadder; 30th November 2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: added detail - forgot to mention the new 80's architecture
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote