Old 4th December 2008, 11:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9099

Breezy

An external USB drive would be a storage device only for saved games, downloadable content. etc.

You would backup from your PS3 to storage and back again to play the game from the internal HD.

You can't run anything directly from a USB drive as they haven't built in the support for that. If they did we would be laughing.

I think they did this to stop people installing games on portable HD's then selling them on.

Old 5th December 2008, 07:08 AM   #42 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

I can run video from a USB stick, so I am guessing I could run video from the drive?
Old 5th December 2008, 08:18 AM   #43 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Should be able to for video.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:59 AM   #44 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 338

Dead

checked the link u (A_1) posted. & yeah, will stick with SATA , rather than experiment with SATAII 4 the sake of greater storage capacity. (i havn't seen a 2.5" SATA big as that 500Gb samsung).

what brand is yrs?
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 11:15 AM   #45 (permalink)

Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsive_4ce View Post
Totally agree. What you'll also be looking for is price per GB and how soon you really want/need the upgrade. As for the reliability of the Seagate and WD... couldn't really say, sorry, I still have the original 40GB in mine atm. As it's a media centre device, I'll be going to 320 soon too. I'm sure if you stick to the majors you'll be OK. ie Seagate, WD, Fujitsu, Quantum
thanks.....i didn't know the major hd brands. samsung was the only familiar hd brand. Pc- user mag r always praising samsung hds ,but i dont know if that applies 2 the 2.5" models.
reliability is most imortant value 4 me. it's kinda difficult getting things back 2 the store with my wheelchair. it's rarely ecconomical sending small items by courier.

Please keep us posted about how the 320Gb upgrade goes.

Last edited by maggot_bag; 5th December 2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 5th December 2008, 08:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Be careful with the screws securing the HD to the tray. They are tight and easily damaged. Ensure you apply good pressure to the screwdriver to keep it in place in the centre of the screws before rotating to undo.

They are tight, damn tight and I did it with a jewellers screwdriver. My fingers were sore afterwards I can tell you but we succeeded.

We installed a 250GB Samsung 2.5 inch 5400 RPM laptop HD which at the time was the cheapest option. ie. dollar per GB. It's been in the unit for 18 months and has performed without a glitch. Highly recommended.

We have just over half of the HD still free and that's saying something. My son downloads every demo and nearly all wallpapers and themes. I'm sure in the near to distant future we may upgrade again or invest in an external USB HD for backups.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1198

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
Be careful with the screws securing the HD to the tray. They are tight and easily damaged. Ensure you apply good pressure to the screwdriver to keep it in place in the centre of the screws before rotating to undo.

They are tight, damn tight and I did it with a jewellers screwdriver. My fingers were sore afterwards I can tell you but we succeeded.
Thanks for the tip. A real bitch if you burr them!

DrunkenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 11:07 AM   #48 (permalink)

Dead

[quote=Ancient_One;

We installed a 250GB Samsung 2.5 inch 5400 RPM laptop HD which at the time was the cheapest option. ie. dollar per GB. It's been in the unit for 18 months and has performed without a glitch. Highly recommended.

We have just over half of the HD still free and that's saying something. My son downloads every demo and nearly all wallpapers and themes. I'm sure in the near to distant future we may upgrade again or invest in an external USB HD for backups.[/quote]

sounds pretty good 2 me.