Old 27th November 2008, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1798

Angry
Default The Console Decision....some assistance

Reading the foum I see there is a common thread which keeps surfacing and tempting to hijack them...
This is the big question, Which console should I get?
So I figured I would post up as to why I have the console I have maybe it will help others who have to make the choice....

I Have been a PC gamer since I bought the Citadel of Chaos on a cassette for my C64 and though it was very cool.
I have never really been intersted into consoles until the last 12 months when I bought my kids a Wii. It seemed ok and the platformers on it kept the kids interested for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile we purchased a 50" TV and a good home theatre setup. I was looking into a media gateway to link the PC's at home to the TV and have looked at a few. I was also looking to find a better quality DVD player as with the new system the 40 xms player didnt relally do it justice. Adding to this is the want to record HD TV as I havent really recorded anything since the the old VCR came to a screaming halt.
Now given all of the wants that I had the PS3 was an easy decsion.
An equivalent device or devices with the media gateway blueray player and HD recording capabilities was going to set me back in excess of about $1000.
I procrastinated on this for a while and with the price drop of the 360 I was tempted to go down this path as there is an iminent release of a Blueray addon

In the end I was going to wait until feb next Year and see if play TV was going to be bundled with the PS3 but the wifey decided it was time to by as she was sick and tired of getting dragged in and out of game shops electrical appliance stores.

I now am extremely happy with my choice. . The best part is the machine does serve all of its purposes and the Blueray player makes the whole movie watching experience absolutely brilliant. Once Play TV is released the system will be complete.
I posted previousley about the new ganes that are being released I am now sorta hooked on gaming in the lounge room. This gaming aspect is a bonus.

I am not preaching which console is better only the motivations behind the choice
I hope my experience will help others contemplating entering the console world.

"Put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye!!" ......
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th November 2008, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

The only way I got the PS3 through the door and passed by the wife was the blueray. It was the same with the PS2 and the DVD player. I think Sony are very clever in that respect.

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 993

I play PC plus xbox360.

I just want the console for game playing in the lounge, without worrying about PC upgrades. I got it before the PS3 was out. I rarely use any other feature of it, only watched a couple of dvds, it is wireless visible on PC and laptop but I donít use anything)

(I have a pretty good PC, quad core, 9600 card, 4 gig ram etc, but the xbox still seems better on the big tv anyway)

My wife wants to buy me a PS3 for xmas, but considering my usage, i donít think there is a game I want to play that badly to get another console.

Should note - We also have a wii and psp.

aka skotalot

MatureCGamer or sometimes smacktardnoob - a second xbox live account - the whore console everyone uses.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
My wife wants to buy me a PS3 for xmas, but considering my usage, i donít think there is a game I want to play that badly to get another console.
Before you tell her no, don't forget to check next years release list for the PS3

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6640

Grumpy

Im sorry i have not attempted in any way to directly hijack any thread, i have just been posting trying to show an interest as people were trying to generate a bit of activity. Ill try and hold back on this process for now until i actually get one.

Interesting viewpoints though and thanks for sharing.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9244

Breezy

I had an XBOX PS2 Nintendo 64 at one point.

Traded the XBOX, as I only played Halo on it, for PS2 games.

Then we traded up to the PS3, bought a Wii and a PSP and still have the Nintendo 64.

We sold the Wii after a time as we couldn't get into it and found it hard to play the games which required hand movements. Flick the wrist, rotate, punch etc etc. Made me nuts.

Anyway the PS3 is our main, I play the PSP on the train and the Nintendo 64 is our take away holiday machine.

Get the PS3 mate.
Old 28th November 2008, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6640

Grumpy

Well i bit the bullet so to speak, sadly the deal i was after was not available today (should of bought it yesterday )

So instead i settled on LBP, Resistance 2 and the new Prince of Persia (fingers crossed on that one as it is not out for afew days yet but looks good)

Now i just have to hope that with all the hullabaloo over price cuts and what not that i dont wake up over next few days to see PS3 price crashes

Oh and ill send the minions out to buy Christmas presents that will consist of Fifa and Burnout for now that should hopefully keep me busy.
Old 28th November 2008, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Elite - Post: 4030

Twisted

The short of it....for value for money get a PS3. it is the most expensive console out there...that is correct...but for that money you not only get a games console but a dvd/divx(downloaded movie files)/Blu-Ray player as well....and whenever a new feature comes out for blu-ray it is soon available for free in the next system update download available....so in short it can hold its own with the top end blu-ray players..yet costs far less. The fact its a games console as well can be highlighted or glossed over depending on which family member your trying to sell the idea to
Mine has replaced my dvd player in the loungeroom and is now the dvd player / downloaded divx movie player / and blu ray player for the house. .... oh and i play games on it occasionally as well
One recomendation though to help get it past the objectors... cough up $50 and get the proper sony blu ray dvd remote. It will help to sell the idea that its a dvd /blu ray player

Usual ingame names: Bloodwrych, Bloodwych, Blooodwrych, Blooodwych, Blodwrych, Blodwych
Bloodwrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 08:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9244

Breezy

Well said Bloodwrych...........not just a game console but a full HD media player.

Well close to one at least.
Old 29th November 2008, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC View Post
Well i bit the bullet so to speak, sadly the deal i was after was not available today (should of bought it yesterday )

So instead i settled on LBP, Resistance 2 and the new Prince of Persia (fingers crossed on that one as it is not out for afew days yet but looks good)

Now i just have to hope that with all the hullabaloo over price cuts and what not that i dont wake up over next few days to see PS3 price crashes

Oh and ill send the minions out to buy Christmas presents that will consist of Fifa and Burnout for now that should hopefully keep me busy.
Welcome to the wonderful world of consoles mate! You have picked some excellent games there and I am sure you will give that Blueray player a work out.

I am not sure what the time difference is, but if you want send a friends request to mongrel_56 and hopefully we can hook up on Resistance 2 some time soon