Old 28th November 2008, 02:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3520

Default Video streaming via consoles

I am looking to purchase a WII or Xbox 360 this Christmas for the family but am wondering if anyone has any experience streaming avi or mp3 files to either of these units.
My data is stored on a Windows Home Server PC so the Xbox should integrate nicely but again was wondering if anyone has used this sort of setup.

"Only the foolish try to adjust to this world; the real problem is how to get out of it."
crowtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28th November 2008, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Wii can't do it last time I checked.

The XBOX can be linked to a Windows PC that uses media player 10 or higher and can also utilize the Windows media centre application as it also has a version of media centre built itself. XBOX will do AVI (a free update is required for this), WVA, MP3, WMA, etc.

For the record, the PS3 will connect to your home server and in many cases play back of your files will be better on the SONY console. (No I am not a PS3 fan boy LOL)

If you are going to stream HD content I suggest you make sure your router is up to the challenge

Speaking of which I need to upgrade mine!

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 28th November 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2008, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2169

Fine

Hello mate long timer no hear
I was using TVersity to get my PC content through my PS3. It worked very well. I'll be looking to do the same thing once the container arrives

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9050

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Hello mate long timer no hear
I was using TVersity to get my PC content through my PS3. It worked very well. I'll be looking to do the same thing once the container arrives
Second TVersity a very good program which seems to work flawlessly with PS3 streaming.
Old 29th November 2008, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Lethal - Post: 6719

I connected my Xbpx to the network wirelessly without a hassle at all. Streaming MP3s was easy, and a brilliant addition to any game. Video streaming worked also, but was choppy and I rarely even think about using it anymore. This was years ago so firmware updates may have improved things - dunno.

I tried for weeks to connect my PS3 to the network and to be able to stream media, but I just couldn't. The wireless connection was easy enough, and once connected I could use remote play from my PSP while I was at the office, or anywhwere with a wireless signal. The media streaming though - I just could not get it to recognise media player, which it said it should. Recently, I moved both the Xbox and the PS3 upstairs to my study so they would get more use (bigger TV downstairs, but that is the only TV in the house, so they are both plugged into my 24: monitor now). Moving the PS3 upstairs made it see my media player no worries, and it now streams music and video no worries. There was a "load time" of sorts, but on the whole it plays video adequately.

I've also tried a D-link dsm-320. Very easy interface, but at the time I was interested in content streaming, it just didn't cut the mustard. It had problems rewinding, it lost audio/video sync, and the visual quality wasn't great. Again, it might be better now, this was years ago.

I now have a beyonwiz DP-P1. Anything I want to stream I just copy to a USB stick and plug it directly into the machine. It does have a wired network port, but the TV is nowhere near the rest of my network (thus the wireless xbox adaptor). I've learned that wireless isn't up to the task of streaming HD content, and can struggle with SD content too.

Audio such as MP3 music will work over wireless and the xbox handled it very very well. I never tried it on the PS3 any further than trying to get the video working, so I don't know how it works while playing games.

I've also never tried any content streaming on my Wii.
SemiproCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2008, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Thanks for the replies. Hey George I hope you're well
The system will run on our 768p TV
The PS3 is out of our budget at the moment but the Xbox 360 pro for $399 with 3 games from EB looks pretty good. I'll hardwire the console into the network so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. I hear the Xbox's are a bit noisy but am still leaning towards this product.
I'll do some research on TVersity

"Only the foolish try to adjust to this world; the real problem is how to get out of it."
Old 29th November 2008, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

The noise was from the ROM drive when playing games. Now that the update allows you to run games from your hard drive, the noise is virtually gone.

The XBOX is an excellent price right now and I think you will be very happy with your decision. After all when the budget does allow, you can always pick up a PS3 later

Hardwired in your XBOX should handle streaming well.

When you have hooked up your XBOX and made your live account you will be happy to know you get 1 month of GOLD live subscription thrown in.

So when you are ready post your Gamer Tag and the TOG friends invites should come flying in

Looking forward to sharing a battlefield with you.
Old 7th December 2008, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
kg0
Average - Post: 127

Busy

Streaming? Well... can someone advise of an application for Mac OS ?! I've been a Mac user for some time now and haven't seen any good options yet... can someone help? BTW - windows sux cartman's balls.
kg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Put the 360 pro on layby over the weekend. Came with 4 games from EB and there appears to be a promo by MS and the Xbox Street Team and if you send them proof of purchase and a photo of yourself with the xbox you get another game free. Will have to suss that out some more.

Old 8th December 2008, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Gratz on your console choice mate. Your going to enjoy it

What are the four games you picked up? Hope some (if not all) have multiplayer.

When your set up, post your gamer tag so we can invite you to some games