Old 5th December 2008, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 8034

Default PS3 on the wish list

Guys, im thinking of getting my wife a PS3 for Christmas (She will love it, if not thats ok too!!) now there are roughly the same deals at EB, kmart, target and DSE for PS3s but I keep hearing about some are backwards compatiable and some not, some have this feature others have that.

What product code should I look for to get a backwards compatible one with all the bells and whistles? any other thinngs I need to know before I spend ~$700.

Cheers in advance from a bloke who has only gamed on a PC

Division Captain (retired) Brink & BF 2142 | Sig by Ashlann | Brewing up a storm @MooCrkBrew

Redgum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th December 2008, 08:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1261

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
Guys, im thinking of getting my wife a PS3 ...

HAHAHAHA... good one. What a crack up.

Pretty sure the latest 80GB version is backwards compatible though. Someone can confirm whether or not.

Ahhh, still laughing. Side splitter.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Unfortunately it is only PS1 backwards compatible (software emulated). The only model that came out with a PS2 chip in it was the launch 60gb model. The only way to get this unit is on Ebay or second hand. Even if you could find one, they command big money.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

My wife will not be happy to hear that

Lets not tell her.

So the 80 gig ones on all the Aussie shops at the moment are pretty much the same then, just gotta get em to chuck more free stuff in.

Cheers guys!

Division Captain (retired) Brink & BF 2142 | Sig by Ashlann | Brewing up a storm @MooCrkBrew

Old 5th December 2008, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1261

Relaxed

Well, technically you wouldn't be telling fibs. It will be backwards compatible, just not PS2 compatible.

Yeah, more free stuff
Old 6th December 2008, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
What product code should I look for to get a backwards compatible one with all the bells and whistles? any other things I need to know before I spend ~$700.
Redgum, also check this post:
Hey, got myself a PS3-80G Whats there to play?
- a "brief history of PS3" that answers your Q...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
Unfortunately it is only PS1 backwards compatible (software emulated). The only model that came out with a PS2 chip in it was the launch 60gb model. The only way to get this unit is on Ebay or second hand. Even if you could find one, they command big money.
... of course, PM put it more succinctly . That's exactly what I did - got a 60Gb from eBay. If you want to know specifically what models to look for, checkit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaySta...#Model_numbers

Quote:
So the 80 gig ones on all the Aussie shops at the moment are pretty much the same then, just gotta get em to chuck more free stuff in.
Pretty much, yeh. The 40s, new 80s and (I presume) 160s available overseas are all built on the same engine.
This table is pretty comprehensive, and contains the model numbers to look out for:
PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Cadder; 6th December 2008 at 04:14 AM.
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Thanks Cadder!! a very comprehensive response and plenty of reading for me to catch up on. Thanks mate

Old 6th December 2008, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

[quote=Redgum;2129054]Guys, im thinking of getting my wife a PS3 for Christmas (She will love it, if not thats ok too!!) now there are roughly the same deals at EB, kmart, target and DSE for PS3s but I keep hearing about some are backwards compatiable and some not, some have this feature others have that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if u want backward compatible with PS2 games; the 60Gb can do that, but it will b expensive (possibly over $700) 4 a 2nd hand machine. it's far more ecconomical buying the new 80Gb plus a PS2 from ebay (arround $70) , 4 when u'r 'wife' wants 2 play those games.
the newer models (80Gb/40Gb) r claimed 2 run cooler & more energy-efficient than 60Gb model.

make sure u get the wife Burnout paradise. $20 at DSE.....limited stock.
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Is backward compatibility a big part of your purchase?

With the quality of games for the PS3 (including the very reasonably priced PSN downloadable games) I have had no reason to play PS2 games. I think I tested the backward compatibility once and my original PS2 is gathering dust.

If it is a real need for you, my advice would be find the best deal being offered for a new PS3 and PS2 and buy both. It will still come out cheeper than trying to find a 60gb model from what I can see. (Not to mention the fact that you will be covered by warranty on new consoles vs second hand).

The other advantage to this is your wife can be playing the PS2, leaving the PS3 free for you

Caution: I can make "brave" claims like the one above through the protection of this forum. I don't have to sell this idea to your wife, you do!

I take no responsibility to any disruption of your marital bliss or loss of "special cuddles" if you attempt the above suggestion.

If I tried to apply that last suggestion in my household I would quickly end up with a PS2 lodged somewhere the design engineers never intended for it to go (other wise it would not have come with so many corners )

Console purchases can be a dangerous undertaking if you do not have the total support of "she who must be obeyed".

Good luck my friend and I hope to see you online with your new PS3 soon (hopefully with you sitting comfortably )
Old 7th December 2008, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1798

Angry

The rumour on the ps2 emulator

"Put your head between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye!!" ......
Milt is offline   Reply With Quote