Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk > Hardware Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th January 2009, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy
Default SONY helps make the XBOX 360 and lose market share.

Poor Sony. Even I will admit that the PS3 is a better console (at least hardware wise) but it seems that not having a "killer" title to make people flock to the console is not the only hurdle they have faced.

Unwittingly it seems they helped in the creation of the XBOX 360 as it stands today and got left behind a for a full year for their troubles.

Playing the Fool - WSJ.com

Do you think that if the PS3 did not have the Blueray player it would be even worse off than it is today?

Old 5th January 2009, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6632

Grumpy

Probably i know many people who have went with the Xbox simply because its cheaper. Not an issue for myself but one that most parents maybe go for.

I went with PS3 simply because i have had 1 and 2 the blue ray player i may never use we will have to wait and see how it goes.
Old 6th January 2009, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ret. Voyage Century Online
Deadly - Post: 1950

Great story Mongrel - mrs gee and I got a Wii for us for Chrissie while my daughter has had a PS 1 & 2.
The Wii roks - we play guitar hero World Tour & Legend of Rock - and daughter can't quite afford a PS3 (she eventually hocked the PS 1 & 2 so she could get sum cash to go to a party !!)
Old 6th January 2009, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Average - Post: 184

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
Poor Sony. Even I will admit that the PS3 is a better console (at least hardware wise)
Do you think that if the PS3 did not have the Blueray player it would be even worse off than it is today?
That was an interesting article, and explains a lot.

And then about hardware. No. Not so simple. XBOX 360 has a better GPU and PS3 a more powerful CPU, then the 360 OS seems to be more efficient and then again PS3 has 9-6 (actually seems only 6 are usable) CPU cores, 360 has three, but then, despite 6-7 cores, PS3 has only 512Kb L2 cache, compared to 1Mb of XBOX 360's, and then XBOX 360 has a 256Gb/s frame buffer bandwidth, PS3 something like 25Gb/s (or about 275Gb/s vs. 48Gb/s if all bandwidth taken to account). Then a XBOX 360 is easier to program and PS3 is a very difficult one. (symmetrical vs. asymmetrical cores) And then 4Xanti-aliasing is a freebie in XBOX 360, in PS3 it takes power. And then again a Blueray-player vs. a DVD-player. And so on.

So what does this mean? Both consoles are surprisingly even powered. Actually who cares, it's just a matter of taste. I might pick a PS3 later, but not sure, maybe a next next gen sony console. I had to buy again a steering wheel (I need soon a storage room for steering wheels), a lot of games, etc, and so on. So I guess, it's just which one to pick for a while, buy the accessories and be happy. For me it was a XBOX 360, but both consoles are ok.

I think (and know) the Blueray player was the reason for some people to buy a PS3, because it was the cheapest Blueray-player around, but today those are cheaper than a PS3. So now it's all about gaming. Let's see what happens, I hope both consoles prosper.
Old 6th January 2009, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

From a sales point of view, Nintendo have done something the others forgot to do ... appeal to the family as a whole.

XBOX and PS3 may claim they are a "family" console but Nintendo have marketed their product directly to every member of the family. Can you imagine if XBOX or PS3 made an exercise program as their premier title?

Well the Wii did it and it made it a household name for everyone, not just gamers. You have to applaud their strategy, after all during the Cube days the rumor was Nintendo would leave the console business and focus only on handhelds.

Question is, is it a sustainable business model? Once the novelty has warn off, can it maintain 1st place.

Console usage in my house:

XBOX - mainly games
PS3 - mainly movies
Wii - Brought out at parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeMan View Post
(she eventually hocked the PS 1 & 2 so she could get sum cash to go to a party !!)
Must have been some party

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 6th January 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9095

Breezy

but what about looks.......shiny black.....mmmmmmmm
Old 6th January 2009, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2169

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
but what about looks.......shiny black.....mmmmmmmm
+ 1/2 inch of dust

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9095

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
+ 1/2 inch of dust
yup your right.

We also bought a black entertainment centre, black lounge to match the black 46inch Sony Bravia so we have 4 inches of dust mate.
Old 7th January 2009, 03:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Average - Post: 184

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
From a sales point of view, Nintendo have done something the others forgot to do ... appeal to the family as a whole.

XBOX and PS3 may claim they are a "family" console but Nintendo have marketed their product directly to every member of the family. Can you imagine if XBOX or PS3 made an exercise program as their premier title?

Well the Wii did it and it made it a household name for everyone, not just gamers. You have to applaud their strategy, after all during the Cube days the rumor was Nintendo would leave the console business and focus only on handhelds.

Question is, is it a sustainable business model? Once the novelty has warn off, can it maintain 1st place.
Well yes, but kids get a lot older during the Wii life cycle, and If they've learned their lesson from playing with a Wii, they need more.

If the next Nintendo console is with equal power compared to PS4 or XBOX whateverbutmanynumbersinthename, they clearly have been thinking a bit.

If Microsoft made an exercise title for XBOX 360 or Sony for PS3, all older gamers with huge beer stomaches would laugh their bottom parts of body off.

Dust is near evil, I agree. But with a XBOX 360 in a room one doesn't need a vacuum cleaner so often. I just wonder where all the dust goes.

Could they sell vacuum cleaner bags for a 360?
Old 7th January 2009, 04:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7167

Buzzed

I am a avid Wii fan and GH is so much fun

But SONY need to bring Grand turismo ASAP to get the numbers up

IT was the only reason I brought a PS2 and would be the only reason I would buy a PS3

Blu-ray is IMHO not a factor for me just fancy DVD player that cost more

Btw on a different tangent was at a friends house who had a blu-ray and he brought a Blu-ray movie that was worst than his DVD copy (WTH)

TOG - You can check out any time you like, But.... you can never leave!
Mecha-Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote