Old 11th January 2009, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy
Default PS3 Hardware User's Guide

PS3 Hardware User's Guide

Introduction:

On March 23, 2007, Sony's next-generation gaming console, the Sony PlayStation 3, was released in Australia. Initially, the console was released with a 60GB hard-drive (aka "The Premium model") with the release of a 20GB, 40 GB and the 80GB Model to follow.
The console is a bit of gamer's heaven; Blu-ray disc-drive, High-Definition Multimedia Interface, Bluetooth controller, Built-in Wi-Fi, Flash card readers, and a chrome trim.
The PS3 also features backward compatibility, meaning you can play PS2 and PS1 games on it as well as use older controllers and memory sticks (with USB Adapters purchased separately).
Sony's handheld gaming device, the PSP, can connect with the PlayStation 3 to enhance your gaming experience. You can also download PS1 games onto your PS3, then transfer them to your PSP, and then play the game on your PSP via emulation.

Hardware

Inside the box you will find a plethora of goodies, aswell as a Blu-Ray disc drive, the console contains the new 8 Cell Processor (the world’s 1st 128-bit processor to be used in a console), not one, but two graphics cards, a 60GB HDD, 512 MB Ram, 4 HighSpeed USB Ports, 1 Gigabit Ethernet port out the back, WiFi capability, Bluetooth capability… and more

Processor / CPU

Alright, so what is a processor? A processor is like the computers brain, It thinks and solves puzzles while you play your game. With the new 8 cell processor it is like having 8 brains working on 8 different puzzles at one time, therefore getting the job done quicker. This enables the PS3 to think out different scenarios while you play, it will monitor and watch your gameplay and then learn from that and try different ways to benefit your realistic gameplay.

Real Time Processing

Real Time is one of the features on the new Sony PlayStation 3. It uses the new 8 cell processor. Instead of having a script written for the game (like you go there and you blow that up) the game calculates and writes as you play the game, so it feels new every time you play the game.

Hard-Disk Drive (HDD)
The PS3 Hard Drive is used to store game demo's and bluray movie demo's that you can download off the internet via your PS3. It is a storage device used almost identically to that of the XBOX 360's HDD.
You can also upgrade your harddrive quite easily
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyQPW3bDS0

High Definition
High Definition? SD, ED and HD are the abbrviations for the most commonly used resolution groups. SD stands for Standard Definition; it includes 480i as a resolution. ED stands for Enhanced Definition; it inclides 480p as a resolution. HD stands for High Definition; it inclides 720p, 1080i and 1080p as resolutions currently.
With TV based resolutions, the vertical number is dropped and the horizontal is the number is used to name it.
480i
As stated, 480i is SD and a interlaced resolution. 480i comes in two differnt resolutions, one being fullscreen and the other being widescreen. Fullscreen is equal to 640x480 and widescreen is equal to 720x480.
480p
As stated, 480p is ED and a pregressive scan resolution. 480p, like 480i, comes in two differnt resolutions, one being fullscreen and the other being widescreen. Fullscreen is equal to 640x480 and widescreen is equal to 720x480.

A lot of times, 480p is mistaken for a HD. While it looks great in its own right, it is not HD and doesn't look nearly as good as HD.

720p
One of two currently used formats designated as high-definition television in the ATSC DTV standard, this technology comprises 720 vertical pixels and 1,280 horizontal pixels. The p stands for progressive, as opposed to interlaced, scanning, which is used in the other accepted HDTV standard, known as 1080i. Contrary to myth, 720p is not inferior to 1080i; 720p has fewer lines but also has the advantages of progressive scanning and a constant vertical resolution of 720 lines, making it better able to handle motion.
1080i
One of two formats designated as high-definition television in the ATSC DTV standard, with 1920 x 1080 pixels and 60 interlaced (i) fields per second. Interlaced scanning systems create each frame by joining two interlaced fields of 539.9 lines each. 1080i produces 60 or 30 complete frames per second.

Contrary to myth, 1080i is not superior to 720p; 1080i has more scanning lines but also suffers the disadvantages of interlaced scanning.

1080p
Combinding the best of 1080i and 720p, 1080p offers the best HDTV picture. With 1,080 verticle pixels by 1,920 horizontal pixels while being displayed via progressive scanning. The only way to acheieve this resolution is through a digital input such as DVI or HDMI. Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will display high definition in 1080p.

Progressive and Interlaced (i & p)

i and p? i, as in 1080i, means "Interlaced". It is a way for displaying an image on a display. It has been around since the dawn of time for TVs and was used to cut down bandwidth for broadcasting. To understand how interlaced works is think of an image consisting of many scan lines (CRT is the only technology that actually draws the image like this on the screen), also refered to as a field. With interlace each field only contains half the scan lines. The image will be first drawn with every odd number of scan lines and the very next scan will be drawn with the opposite scan lines, every even number scan lines. It keeps alternating like this and happens so fast that our brain is tricked into seeing a solid image. The result is that only half of the video's display is drawn every 60th of a second, but a full image every 30th of a second.
The problem with interlaced images is there can be errors when the two fields are recombined into one frame. These errors usually appear as "the jaggies". This becomes very apparent as screen size increases. 480 lines of resolution can only go so large before the picture begins to break down. A 480i signal may look very good on a 27" TV but then it looks "jaggy" or "blotchy" on a 50" or 60" TV. This isn't a problem with the TV. It is simply because there isn't enough resolution in the TV signal to blow up the picture to larger sizes.
One of the solutions to interlacing comes in the form of a line doubler. p, or 1080p, aka "Progressive" is a way for displaying a image. Unlike interlace where half the scan lines or shown on each scan. Progressive scan shows all scan lines each scan, this is now called a frame. This helps to sharpen up the image and also get ride of scan lines, artifacts and flickering that can happen when using interlace.
One of the solutions to interlacing comes in the form of a line doubler. Progressive is a way for displaying a image. Unlike interlace where half the scan lines or shown on each scan. Progressive scan shows all scan lines each scan, this is now called a frame. This helps to sharpen up the image and also get ride of scan lines, artifacts and flickering that can happen when using interlace.

Graphics

Graphics are powered by 2 Graphics Cards and are extremely well polished. In games like GT HD, not only can you see the driver but in-car detailing and seats are all realistically done (all in full Dynamic Lighting). In games like Resistance Fall of Man, the environment is completely interactive, allowing you and planes above you to send debris flying everywhere. Cut-scenes are done in game and this only adds to realism.

Sound

Sound will only get as good as your sound system can allow and if you have Optical, then you’re in luck. The console supports all major systems like DTS /5.1 / 7.1. etc. and games do make use of it.

Connectivity
The PS3 has Bluetooth and WiFi technology so as you can expect, the connectivity plays an important part in the console’s life cycle. Via Bluetooth at the moment you can connect a Bluetooth headset or headphones to it as well as a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Via WiFi, you can connect your WiFi Router to it, but it is also used for the PSP Remote Play ability (introduced into FW 3.0 and above for PSP), which allows you to watch videos and listen to music stored on the PS3 HDD via the PSP.
With the PS3, you can download free playable demo's, fully downloadable games, PS1 games that can be transferred onto your PSP, movie trailers in full high definition and finally game traliers. All of these can be accessed using your PS3 via the internet in the PlayStation store.
Going Online with the PS3 you can play mass Multiplayer games with upto and over 40 people, Free! No charge, No subscription fee! You can communicate with friends via text, voice or video chat (eye toy and headset sold separately).
You can even download Games from the PlayStation store and play games that also have a multiplayer feature.
Unfortunately broadband is needed for Online Gaming, it can be either wirelessly via a router or directly plugged into the back via a cable and a modem.

Accessories

Controllers

We've all heard about the SixAxis Controller, the one that lost rumble, but gained technology somewhat akin to the Wii. Yes, it works over Wireless connection (Bluetooth), recharges via the supplied USB-Mini-USB Cable, runs on a replaceable Li-Ion Battery, sports a new “PS” Button in the Centre, 4 flashing LEDs (in red) to show which player it is, full kickback on L2 & R2 buttons (which are shaped like triggers) and much less weight due to the loss of Rumble (DualShock)

The
DualShock 3, PlayStation 3's now de facto controller with both rumble and motion-sensing. It replaces the previous SIXAXIS controller without rumble, which is now discontinued. The DualShock 3 is also heavier than the SIXAXIS—still slightly lighter than an Xbox 360 controller. The controller retails in Australia for about $99

Blu-ray™ Remote Control

The PLAYSTATION 3 Blu-ray™ remote control enables users streamlined access to the PLAYSTATION 3 system's disc features. Unlike standard infrared remotes, the Blu-ray remote control uses Bluetooth® technology so it can be used without having to point directly at the PLAYSTATION®3 system.

PlayStation®Eye

Revolutionize your interactive gaming and online communication experience with the PlayStation®Eye USB camera. The PlayStation®Eye has the ability to reduce background noise and focus on the spoken word for smoother, more accurate speech recognition and transfer. The fast frame rate allows for improved tracking and responsiveness for pristine video quality. The PlayStation®Eye is also engineered to perform well in low-light conditions and includes a dual action lens for close-up and full body options.
Key Features
  • Built-in 4 microphone array.
  • Chat with up to 6 people at once.
  • Ultra fast frame rate of 120 frames per second ensures pristine video quality.
  • Engineered to work well in low light conditions.
  • Includes free EyeCreate™ Software download.

Bluetooth® Headset

The Bluetooth® Headset leverages advances in voice technology to bring next generation features to the PLAYSTATION®3 system. It features High-Quality (HQ)* mode which provides wide-band and dual microphone input to enable accurate speech recognition required to support “voice command” and “voice animation” features that will be offered in select games on PS3™. Easy pairing with the PS3™ system, in-game Headset status indicator, included charging cradle and easily accessible microphone mute button make it user-friendly.

Using a Bluetooth Headset
Please check out a great post made by cadder on the subject of headsets
It can be found here

Wireless Keypad

The Wireless keypad for the PLAYSTATION®3 system provides the freedom of easy to use texting and mouse input capabilities, all while maintaining full gameplay functionality in one easy-to-hold device. This Bluetooth® device attaches to any DUALSHOCK®3 or SIXAXIS™ wireless controller and enables effortless internet browsing, e-mailing and instant messaging on the PlayStation®Network and PlayStation®Home. The unique touch pad feature allows for convenient scrolling and mouse input on the PS3™ system on-screen display. Dedicated short cut keys provide instant access to ‘Message Box’ and other online communication applications on the PlayStation®Network.

PLAYSTATION®3 Manuals

Access online and downloadable guides for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system here - PlayStation.com

References
http://www.myps3.com.au/
http://www.us.playstation.com

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170

Last edited by click; 20th January 2009 at 02:56 PM.

Closed Thread