Old 25th January 2009, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine
Default PS3 Networking Question

I'm thinking of getting another PS3 for the bedroom. A lad at work is selling one. He wants to get a wii instead! (I know )

Now what i really want, is to be able to swap games between the 2 and keep to my saved points/trophies. Can they be networked to swap information to allow this to happen? I would imagine i'd have to have the same PSN.

I'm getting the feeling the answer is no, as i've been checking on the web for info. and nothing.

George is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th January 2009, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Actually this is one of the features I love about the PS3. I have two PS3's and I have the same PSN ID's on both. Any achievements you gain on one, is updated on the other (As long as both consoles connect to the net. You can't do it by networking them together).

The only thing you will need to do is copy your save games to a USB stick to transfer your save games.

Now for the added bonus ... As long as you have the same PSN ID you purchase your market place files with on both consoles ... you can down load the files on your second console with no extra charge!

For example: I bought Monsters on my first console. When I got my second console, I added my PSN ID to the new console and downloaded Monsters again at no charge. (All "owned" files from the market place are marked with a red symbol.)

I wish I could do this with my XBOX's. You can't even have your gamer tag on two consoles

The only way I can do it is have my gamer tag on a MU and transfer that between consoles.

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 25th January 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

[quote=Pure Mongrel;
Now for the added bonus ... As long as you have the same PSN ID you purchase your market place files with on both consoles ... you can down load the files on your second console with no extra charge!

For example: I bought Monsters on my first console. When I got my second console, I added my PSN ID to the new console and downloaded Monsters again at no charge. (All "owned" files from the market place are marked with a red symbol.)
.[/quote]

now that is interesting.
does that recognition of "owned" files also apply in other scenarios?
ie-- if my ps3 is ever sent in for repair, the hd data would be errased. when the console is retured i would want a new copy of previously owned content(such as my cod-4 maps pack).

another scenario may be installing a new/bigger hd. some data can be transfered,but not all. thus a visit to the ps would be required.

will look for that 'red symbol' next time i'm there.
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

Great news. I get it sorted before next weekend then

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Purchased items are linked to the ID not the console or HD. If you upgrade the HD, fix or buy a new console, you will be able to re-download anything you purchased as long as you use the ID it is purchased with.

I "think" you can do this on up to 5 PS3's.
Old 25th January 2009, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
Purchased items are linked to the ID not the console or HD. If you upgrade the HD, fix or buy a new console, you will be able to re-download anything you purchased as long as you use the ID it is purchased with.
Correct.
When I had my PS3 fixed (ie, replaced), all of the download packs I had purchased for Warhawk, Resistance, etc were flagged and ready for me to download from PS Store again.
Old 26th January 2009, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

thanks for the help fellas.
now im fully looking foward to downloading all the new(upcoming) Burnout content!
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote