Old 22nd April 2009, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

Default xbox360 or ps3

what is the best buy as i am after a console either a ps3 or a xbox360 i am unsure what either are like so any suggestions are welcome

thanks
d3v1l127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd April 2009, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Not an easy question to answer without more info. Everyone here has their favorites, but it will come down to things like:

1) Who will be playing the console?
2) What style of games do the players enjoy?
3) Will the players want to play online?
4) Is movie playback a consideration? (Is DVD fine, or are you looking to watch Bluray as well?)
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

1) Who will be playing the console? me
2) What style of games do the players enjoy? fps and third person shooters. aircraft sims, sumulaters the list goes on lol those are the main games i play tho
3) Will the players want to play online? yes of corse
4) Is movie playback a consideration? (Is DVD fine, or are you looking to watch Bluray as well? im not fussed as i have a dvd player and a blue ray supported dvd player in a laptop but dvd playing in my personal pc
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Than I would suggest the XBOX 360.

Having played a varied range of FPS titles on both consoles and I feel that this genre plays better on the XBOX. I can't quantify it but for me the 360 controller seems better suited to the task. (If you said fighting games like Street fighter I would have recommended the PS3. The SONY controller is far superior to the XBOX one in this genre.)

XBOX boasts the largest online community, but there is a catch here as while the PS3 is free to play online, the XBOX has a monthly, 3 monthly or yearly subscription fee.

While paying to play does suck, the trade off is that the XBOX live system has been more stable, has better voice communication and the majority of downloads don't take any where near the times experienced on the PSN.

There are also currently a wider selection of FPS games on the 360, with some exclusive title having a large and very active online community; HALO 3 (FPS) and Gears of War II (Third person shooter). The major cross platform titles like the Call of Duty and Tom Clancy games also have large communities.

Just to be fair though (and hopefully not add confusion to your choice), the PS3 does have a couple of FPS games with large communities; Resistance Fall of Man 2, Killzone 2 (FPS) and SOCOM (Third person shooter).

So you won't miss out which ever console you pick .... (Just pick the 360 )
Old 23rd April 2009, 02:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

the main game i would most likely playing is battlefield.. have played killzone 1 and not sure what killzone 2 is like so thats a option but think its only on the ps3 cant think of anything else at the moment maybe it is best to get them both lol
Old 23rd April 2009, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 419

Devilish

I've got a related question:
Is it worth the money to own both consoles?
Other than the fact that it alows you to play with friends that might own a console you otherwise wouldn't, does anyone who owns both consoles think it is worth the expense?
GiantDave7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

I was thinking of doing that when i return to Australia. I have the wii and PS3, but really want to get involved in the XBOX to see what P_M keeps going on about

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2839

Amused

We own both. And the xbox gerts most of the use.
urgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Umm ... (wow this is going to sound bad ... )

I have 2 PS3's and 3 XBOX 360's (oh and a WII .... collecting dust)

It's an addiction ... I would seek help, but ... What can I say, I like my toys.

My poor wife has come to terms with having a big kid for a husband (and secretly she enjoys playing console games ... though she will never admit it).

I rarely drink, don't smoke and don't gamble so as vices go its not that bad (is it?).

After the house the only other "money pit" I have is my 4X4. (Speaking of which is getting some more mods in a couple of weeks )

But I digress ... In short it is cool having both consoles. You get to play all the exclusives and you can play the right games on the right console (FPS on 360, arcade fighter on PS3, etc.)

My 360's get used the most for gaming, but the Bluray player in the PS3 is still one of the best on the market so it get used a lot by the whole family. Also when it comes to down loadable games, I generally buy them on the PS3. 1) Most of them are better & 2) they are listed in real dollars which is far cooler than stupid MS points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I was thinking of doing that when i return to Australia. I have the wii and PS3, but really want to get involved in the XBOX to see what P_M keeps going on about
I hope there is a Tiger Woods coming home with that console!
Old 24th April 2009, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
I hope there is a Tiger Woods coming home with that console!
That's the reason i'm getting it.

George is offline   Reply With Quote