Old 19th May 2009, 02:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Considering how "traveled" your XBOX's are Exploit, I am surprised they lived as long as they did. I do agree that 360's (especially the launch units) are a little on the fragile side, but I am told the latest units with the new chip sets are far more robust.

The biggest killer of gaming consoles is dust, heat and humidity. As Exploits consoles have been in various locations of far north Queensland you could perhaps excuse them for finally going RROD.

My launch 360 finally died after my son played it for hours in a closed room in the middle of summer. (This unit survived travel from Brisbane to Townsville and back by road ... it took the abuse of a nine year old to kill it )

My Elite also traveled the same distance as my launch console but after a couple of months after returning to Brisbane the Rom drive died. M$ repaired it under warranty and after a 7 day turn around I got my console back with 1month of free XBOX live access. It has been fine ever since.

Exploit has every right to be annoyed ... it does suck losing a console to malfunctions (especially twice) but thankfully M$ is fixing it.

Just keep in mind no console is designed to travel the distances or terrain that Exploit and I have exposed our consoles too, nor are they designed for tropical locations.

Old 19th May 2009, 03:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
Considering how... ...for tropical locations.
PM, that's the worst attempt at justifying your allegiance I've ever seen.
Old 19th May 2009, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

My PS2 did die after years of constant abuse. All the air vents were blocked with dust. But it had traveled from England to Australia with us.

My PS3 looks like going the same way, but again it's gone half way around the world and we now live in the dustiest place on the planet.

I must try and clean the vents but can't get passed the on switch

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadder View Post
PM, that's the worst attempt at justifying your allegiance I've ever seen.
No it's not. I am sure if I gave it some thought I could have come up with all sorts of crap!

For the record ... PS3's don't like the tropics either!

As to allegiances ... Call me the devils advocate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
My PS2 did die after years of constant abuse. All the air vents were blocked with dust. But it had traveled from England to Australia with us.

My PS3 looks like going the same way, but again it's gone half way around the world and we now live in the dustiest place on the planet.

I must try and clean the vents but can't get passed the on switch
Say what you will about the XBOX ... It is in no way the dust magnet the PS3 is! Thats not a dig at the console ... just a fact!
Old 19th May 2009, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Fine

You're right there. Has anyone got the white one? I wonder if that's such a dust magnet

Old 19th May 2009, 08:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

There is a white one?
Old 19th May 2009, 08:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Fine

I thought i seen one at the local games shop the other day, but i didn't take too much notice. I didn't realise it had a white controller. I'll have a look at it next time i'm in there

Just seen this picture

Now your talking. A new meaning to "White Goods"

Last edited by George; 19th May 2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Average - Post: 184

Amused

Oh... did someone mention "tropical"?

Tropic=Crysis, so this is not offtopic at all:

“It’s been tricky, but we’ve got a strong PS3 engine with all the major systems running on SPUs. With middleware, what you want is for someone else to do all that so the developer can just concentrate on making games. We have parity between the platforms now: both run at the same speed ... If the game’s shader-heavy it runs a bit faster on 360; if it’s compute-heavy with physics and particles, then the SPUs take over and it’s a bit quicker on PS3.”

Hear that? Quickly, every 360 fanboy become a rapid fan of shading and every PS3 fanboy immediatley fall in love with compute-heavy physics and particles.

SOURCE:
Destructoid - How does CryEngine 3 run differently on PS3 and 360?

So if you just love physics, it's not a problem at all. Some people love collecting stamps, ants and bottle caps. That's perfectly ok too.

But if you love shaders, oh boy, those shaders are so essential part of gaming. Even one shader can make a difference. One gets never enough of shaders.

Oh glorious shaders, I shall make an ode to you.

Yea, I know, I felt a bit nuts atm. Way too much coffee today.

So, back to the basics, the CryEngine3 seems to work well in both consoles. Nothing sucks, life's a bliss.

Last edited by Zaxvien; 20th May 2009 at 05:45 AM.
Zaxvien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 06:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

The white PS3, AFAIK, was for the Japanese market only. Feel free to correct me if you know otherwise.
That being said, I have a white controller for my Black PS3. It's the one the kids don't touch ('cos the thumbsticks are f*cked on the other two, from 4yo abusing them)
I got it on eBay from Hong Kong, cheaper than I could buy a standard black one retail here.
...and yes, it's a genuine Sony white Dualshock 3 with the vibration, etc.
Old 21st May 2009, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Fine

I'm sure i seen it here. The only thing is I can't remember where. I though it was at the shop where i brought my PSP yesterday but it wasn't. I hope i'm not going mad.