Old 23rd May 2009, 02:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I don't know what that means. Like I said, everything else runs at normal speeds. I've had the ps3 connected directly to the interwebs, to the router, to the router with port forwarding, etc. I get no lag in online games, sometimes it downloads as fast as anything else. And most of the time, updates download stupdly slow. If there's anything else i can try, please tell me.

EDIT: Just download inFAMOUS demo, 1.2 GB in 40 mins, Tried Noby Noby Boy again, 3% in 45 mins...
Can't remember if I've asked you these Qs before:
Are you connected wirelessly, or direct? Is the IP address fixed or DHCP?

I had an issue where games would drop out, and always just before the end of a game. It turned out, long story short, it was resetting connections at exactly half hour intervals. The thing that I couldn't get my head around was that it happened whether I was connected wirelessly or directly. And the really stupid thing was, that it was never completely losing connection. there was a constant activity light, nothing to indicate anything wrong, and the most infuriating thing... I was still connected to the game lobby after I'd been dumped.
And, like you, my PC, laptop and MAME box never lost connection either.

Turned out it was a dodgy or misconfigured router. NFI what the problem was, all the settings to me looked correct. But when I swapped it, the problem vanished.

I know this is a slightly different set of symptoms, but have you tried a different router?
I'm thinking if the connection starts, which it obviously is, it might be dropping the connection in a similar manner - the "hey I'm still alive" signal is still there, but the data itself has long since timed out.

Oh, and FTR, Yes, PS3 update downloads are notoriously slow. But as click pointed out, they shouldn't be that slow.

Last edited by Cadder; 23rd May 2009 at 03:08 AM.
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23rd May 2009, 03:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2175

Confused

Wirelessly atm, but i have tried direct, same problems. Also, downloading another 1 gig demo now, 60% in 20 minutes :S Noby Noby Boy still won't update at a decent speed. They improved the fart effects dammit! I want to play!
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Retired Captain

So ATM it's just that one game? Have you tried DLing it from another server? (ie, using a different user ID set to a different country, eg USA, and downloading from the US playstation store instead of Aus?)
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2

Confused

It's Pain, and Noby Noby at the moment, but good call, I'll give it a try
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:28 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

I have one PS3 connected wireless and the other is wired. I can't say I have noticed a difference in download speeds.

I was discussing it with Scratches and he reminded me that when I first got the PS3 I was raving about how fast the downloads were as well as the free access. (At that stage I was not going to renew my live subscription I was that impressed.)

Maybe with the increasing number of PS3 owners in Oz they need to upgrade the number of servers. Having us feed out of the UK is not good for us, we deserve a local service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadder View Post
So ATM it's just that one game? Have you tried DLing it from another server? (ie, using a different user ID set to a different country, eg USA, and downloading from the US playstation store instead of Aus?)
Click and Cadder is the US servers were you get all your updates? Had not considered trying to log in to a different country.

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 23rd May 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:32 AM   #26 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Chief, LMK what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
Maybe with the increasing number of PS3 owners in Oz they need to upgrade the number of servers. Having us feed out of the UK is not good for us, we deserve a local service!

Click and Cadder is the US servers were you get all your updates? Had not considered trying to log in to a different country.
The point you make about the ratio of users to local servers is more than valid... remember, when there are updates, thousands upon thousands of punters are trying to DL all at once. This also explains why the PC download to memory stick is quicker. I would hazard a guess that it'd be the minority of users that know about, and even fewer know how, to perform an upgrade by USB. I wonder if there's a way to petition Sony for more Aussie servers? Click, as Sony squad leader, I think you should look into it

...and to answer your question, no, I usually DL from the usual Aussie site - or DL to a USB. The latter is much quicker, albeit less convenient.

Last edited by Cadder; 23rd May 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Just did an experiment.

Downloaded last update (140mb) on PS3 (direct wired to modem) ... 33min.

After this downloaded;

Downloaded same file off playstation.com.au (Wireless connection to PC) ... 4min.

Time for an OZ server dang nab it!

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 23rd May 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2

Confused

Well I tried different accounts, no luck. I tried Pain again at about 4am and it went much faster. So I guess it is just the number of users. Lucky I often work late shifts
Old 24th May 2009, 11:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9445

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Well I tried different accounts, no luck. I tried Pain again at about 4am and it went much faster. So I guess it is just the number of users. Lucky I often work late shifts
I used the free code in the Australian Playstation Magazine yesterday around 8am and downloaded the PAIN game 202MB.

After installation it required a patch 324MB.

All was completed by 9am.

I'm on TPG 1500/256 connection and have the PS3 wirelessly connected to my router but set up with manual ip and set in the free zone so the router doesn't have it behind the firewall. Needed to do this also to allow voice coms which was affected by being behind the firewall.

For the record my machine is the original on release Aussie version which is now 2 years old and never had a hiccup.
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Squad Officer
Left 4 Dead
Lethal - Post: 7441

Yeehaw

I've never had an issue with the PS3 download speeds (wireless), they've always been really fast for me. Often faster than my PC and almost always faster than the 360 (wired, go figure).

The system updates take a while, but I do them ~after~ I've finished playing. The demo installs are what annoy me the most. Downloading a 1.3GB demo takes a little while, but waiting for it to "install" is so bloody painful, and it doens't let you do anything else while this happens. The installs usually take longer than the downloads for me. Can't it auto-unpack/install while it's downloading if I'm not playing a game already?

I thought the cell processor was supposed to be good at this multi-tasking mumbo-jumbo!
Drac is offline   Reply With Quote