Old 21st May 2009, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy
Angry PS3 Sux ... up all my game time !

Ok, so the XBOX has been getting a flogging of late ... but at least I can play a game on it when I want to.

I bought SOCOM today and thought I would give it a whirl as I suddenly found myself with a spare hour to play.

4pm I turned on my PS3 ... which informed me I needed a software up date before I can play. So I agree to the update and wait ...

5.30 pm rolls around and the software update finally finishes ... so I put in SOCOM.

My PS3 than informs me I need to install 2.3Gb worth of files on my hard drive, so I agree ... and I wait ...

After the install I fire up the game and am informed the game needs a software update so I agree to the 157mb download and wait some more ...

It is now 7.10pm and the download is only 33% of the way downloaded.

Now before anyone starts bagging my internet connection, I can download files on my PC of this size in mere minutes and XBOX updates take 5 minutes tops!

If this was a one off occurrence I would not be bothered, but it seems every time I try to play my PS3 I have to wait extraordinary amounts of time and usually have to turn off the console once I have updated because I ran out of time.

XBOX live may cost me to use, but I would rather pay for a quality service than deal with a free crap service.

Old 21st May 2009, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

I was the same last night trying to link up my PSP with the PS3. Are all the Sony servers in the US? the PSN store takes some time to dl as well.

When I got my PS3 in the UAE it hadn't been on-line for over a year. It took me most of the day to go through the system & game updates. In fact the only game that didn't need updating was Oblivion. Not sure why that was?

It's never nice losing gaming time mate. At least you had time to clean the dust off it

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2181

Confused

I have the same problem, PSN servers are rubbish. I assume there's no Aussie servers too, so we're downloading everything from the US or something.

I've been wanting to play pain, but everytime I start it up it says there's a 350mb update. I tried to update once but after about 4 hours it was at 30%, then told me an error occurred.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

ok .......you got us there mate. those f#*%ng slow updates piss me off! to.
they've blown many a' game session.
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Correspondent
Retired Advisor
Correspondent
Retired Advisor
Elite - Post: 2913

Lurking

LOL! Yeah, that has been my chief complaint with my new PS3 and it has canceled many a gaming session. I also think there should me more trial versions of PS Store downloadable games...seems like they are mandatory for Xbox.

"...through victory my chains are broken"
Arep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

HANG ON JUST A MINUTE

Yes the servers are slow (located in England) but as for the rest of the stuff I don't agree

- Updates means new content, you should be happy to update
- They are free, I don't think they are that bad that you would rather pay I mean come on
- At least the PS3 works constantly
- If you don't login for awhile expect an update
- Update overnight - By this I mean you can put of the update until your ready. System and game updates can be delayed. So you can play games straight away. In your case Pure there was noway around since SOCOM is MP only.
- Download the update via your PC then update via a usb stick

I thought the main problem in gaming was company's that put out consoles/games and then stop supporting them. Well here is a company that does provide support and we complain about it. It just makes no sense

Look sometimes I go to play and there is an update. I am a bit pissed because I wanted to play straight away BUT then after the update I can choose custom soundtracks or drop back the the media bar from ingame and think it was worth it.
I don't think the PS3 sux because of it.
Just think to yourself after you do the update WELL AT LEAST I AM ABLE TO PLAY A GAME ON THIS WORKING CONSOLE
see >> XBOX SUCKS!!!

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170

Last edited by click; 22nd May 2009 at 09:35 AM.
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
- They are free, I don't think they are that bad that you would rather pay I mean come on
- Update overnight - By this I mean you can put of the update until you're ready. System and game updates can be delayed. So you can play games straight away. In your case Pure there was noway around since SOCOM is MP only.
- Download the update via your PC then update via a usb stick

I thought the main problem in gaming was company's that put out consoles/games and then stop supporting them. Well here is a company that does provide support and we complain about it.
True dat.
And besides; even if you don't update overnight, updates give you time to trawl the TOG forums, right?

Last edited by Cadder; 22nd May 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2144

Breezy

Download the PS3 update via the sony PS3 aussie site, throw it on a USB stick and walah

As for game updates there isn't much you can do about that
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2181

Confused

Tried to play Noby Noby Boy last night, 563 MB compulsory update. In 2 hours it got to 8% then it said "an error has occured" yet again. Guess I won't be playing that ever again
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Tried to play Noby Noby Boy last night, 563 MB compulsory update. In 2 hours it got to 8% then it said "an error has occured" yet again. Guess I won't be playing that ever again
This is not a server problem, there must be something else wrong
I downloaded the inFamous demo (1.2g) today and it took 3hrs
You said you have had a problem D/L the pain update aswell, maybe it's your end
Downloads don't take that long

Have you tried running some tests

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote