Old 14th July 2009, 03:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Average - Post: 184

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
When you buy the new HDD, cable comes with it. It is fast, but only a one shot deal. Once you have moved your files to the new HDD ... that's it. Very easy to do though.
Yes, it was easy. I somehow even avoided a thunder storm during the transfer.

Old 14th July 2009, 07:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Outstanding!
Old 14th July 2009, 09:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

Well I have to admit I don’t know how you had so much trouble.
My son and I did a backup image of our PS3 HD which at the time was less then 20GB.
Upgraded the HD to 250GB and then used the image to reinstall to the new HD. It was flawless and fast.

After talking to my son it would appear that your troubles would be in regards to the Firmware.
My son believes when we did ours the firmware was only installed in the PS3 internal memory but the current Firmware’s are partially installed on both internal memory and HD.

Yes the game data is specific to your PS3 using some sort of code to identify.

Would have been better to add your account to the new PS3, install the game and any patches. Then copy over the save games.

I think in the end that's what you did but in a round about sort of way.

Also expansions are associated to the account which downloaded it. When I had troubles with the Trophy sync I had deleted my account form the PS3 which broke all the associations.
We discovered last night when we tried to play Resistance - Fall of Man that the expansions were missing. All we had to do though was attempt to download ie add to downloads then stop and delete the download before it started.

As the expansions were already installed on the PS3 HD all it was doing was re-activating the association. If that makes sense to anyone. So we are back up and running fully.

This was also the case with a space game HD we purchased from PSN. Just had to attempt the download but not download to re-activate the already previously downloaded and installed game.

I get the feeling you might have been able to do the same without fully downloading all your PSN games. As the image file would have contained the installation.
Old 23rd July 2009, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Update: I just installed a 500GB drive into my 60Gb PS3, and as any good XBOX gamer would ... I hit another snag.

Thankfully it is an easy fix. With the original 60GB PS3's it seems they can be fussy when putting SATA II drives in as an upgrade. I had a "Could not start, the correct Hard Drive was not found" issue.

To fix this you need to dumb down your SATA II drive a bit by adding a jumper to the drive.

The information / image above was not created by me. I found it, and the information on the following web site: Startup Problems After Upgrading To 320GB (Sometimes Cannot Start) - PLAYSTATION®3 Media (Blu-Ray & HD) - Official PlayStation Community -PlayStation.com and the image was posted by BlueSkiesXXV
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

Thank god for that mate. We only installed the slower type. Never had a problem but glad you found some good reference material.

Maybe think of adding a guide in the stick in the Hardware Section for future up graders.
Old 24th July 2009, 04:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Good idea. The PS3 guide is Clicks baby so I guess we should ask him