Even if you are not going to put a new Hard Drive in your PS3, for the love of Dog, please back up your PS3.
I recently backed up one of my PS3's and as an experiment I tried to put that back up on my other PS3. I figured I should have no issue as the accounts on both consoles are the same.
BOY WAS I WRONG!
The only thing it transferred across was the save files and user accounts ... no game data. (While you can download games you bought on the PSN on up to 5 consoles, once the data is saved on a PS3, that data will only be accessible by that console).
So I set about reinstalling the games I had purchased from the PSN and get the latest game updates for some of my games.
I started at 7.30pm Saturday night. I finished at 12.55pm Sunday! (Note: I stopped at 1pm Sunday and started again at 7.30am). The games I reinstalled / updated:
From the PSN
- Battlefield 1943 (twice and both times the installer failed to work, I still don't have this game ... after over 1GB of downloads )
- Pain (After downloading the game, you than need to up date it with a file bigger than the original game)
- Echochrome (Update after downloading original game from PSN about as big as the original game)
- Pixel Junk Monsters (Update after downloading the original from PSN. Again update bigger than original game)
- Super Stardust HD (Another freaking update as big as the original game)
I have quite a few more PSN games, but I think my brain would explode if I tried to download them (not to mention my download limit). Does anyone know why they don't put the latest game files on the PSN store?
Games I own on Disk I updated:
- Burnout Paradise. (Without doubt the biggest and slowest update of the lot. All up about 1Gb in updates. To update this game alone it took a whopping 4 hours+ !)
- Killzone 2 (Not as bad an update and only took 45min).
I have other games, but again I am way to scared to update for fear of dying of sheer boredom.
This time wasting is not because I have a slow internet connection. (Nor is my speed capped because I have exceeded my limit).
This post is not to bag the PSN, it is just a warning to all PS3 users ... back up frequently! On the day you decide to upgrade you HDD, or Dog forbid your HDD dies, if you don't have a back up, be prepared to not play for a very long time!