Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk > Hardware Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th August 2009, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 9198

Breezy
Default GC 2009: PS3 Slim and Price Drop Announced

It was the worst kept secret but they finally announced it this morning Aussie time.

Unfortunetly K-Mart leaked it first 5 hrs prior to the announcement on their website foe sale details here.

The videoe of the actual announcement PlayStation 3 now $299, slimmer version coming September 1st is posted here

Details as we know it..........

US, August 18, 2009 - The worst-kept secret in gaming is official: the PS3 slim is real. During its Gamescom press conference today in Germany, Sony announced the new system, which will retail for $299 US (or 299 Euros and 29,980 yen) and will hit shelves September 1, 2009.

What we understand of the system is very much in line with our guesstimates from yesterday. The new design has all of the same features of the current system, including WiFi, Bluetooth and whatnot. Our guys at the show say that it looks pretty much exactly the same as the current model, only smaller. It's 34 percent lighter, draws 34 percent less power and, most importantly, comes with a 120GB hard drive.

Oh, and as a bonus, the current system is dropping to $299 as of tomorrow (so don't buy one today).

The system measures 290 mm by 65 mm by 290 mm in terms of width, height and length, respectively, and includes a couple of new features. If you connect the unit to a Bravia TV via an HDMI cable, you'll be able to operate the XMB via your TV remote control. This feature is called Bravia Sync, and it also means that when you turn your TV off, the PS3 will automatically turn off as well. The PS3 also eliminated the "Install Other OS" feature that was on the previous run of PS3s.

The details were, err, slim from the show, but we'll update as soon as we have more information. For now, check out the gallery for more shots of the system.

More images on the website.

Old 19th August 2009, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Oooooooo pretty!
Old 19th August 2009, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

They have said that the HD will ship with 120GB and it's upgradeable but I can't see on the picture where you would do this. No removable panel.

I did notice the memory card slots appears to be in a removable panel but not sure how you would remove it as all the screws are covered.

They are also indicating Firmware 3.0 will follow shortly.

The price in Aussie is estimated to be $499. My son wants one in his bedroom for his birthday on the 4th September.

I like the Matt Black myself. Anyone interested in an Aussie backward compatible 60GB shiny black PS3. Would sell for $1000.
Old 19th August 2009, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2142

Confused

Shame about the price, was hoping we'd see a better drop. I paid $450 for my 40GB one, new, spent the other $50 on a 500gb hdd for it at a swap meet.

299.00 USD = 361.009 AUD

Another rumour going around is that they're planning to add backwards compatability to all consoles via a Firmware update, maybe that will be in 3.0? Wouldn't be surprised if it happens since they did this last month.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 02:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

I'm interested in the Bravia sync feature. Just have to wait another year for it to reach the desert

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Thinner PS3 / Playstation 3: Price Cut To $499 | Sony PS3

SMH have reported all PS3's stock will be reduced to the new price of $499 from Monday.
The new PS3 will hit the shelves on 3rd September.

I noticed EBGames have already started advertising it.

I think we shall see sales hit the roof on this.

Not sure about the firmware backward compatability, that's to be seen I guess. Will keep reading the stories online to find out.

I know where your coming from with the exchange rate but I guess they factor in transport and shipping costs, plus taxes from the government, plus profit for the seller, hence the $499 figure.

Haven't seen an announcement on packages as yet.
Old 19th August 2009, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2429 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy

A lot of guys at work are thinking of buying one now. I'm getting one for sure

$500 is the magic price point.
FunkyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 04:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 8

Less power consumption sounds great. Older PS3s push out quite some heat, so the fan is working away most of the time - which is background noise I could do without.

As for the option to install another OS I doubt it'll be sorely missed. It was something for fiddlers to play with, but effectively only allowed you to run the PS3 like a substandard PC. No insult to Linux lovers, but having a non-Intel CPU and no access to graphics acceleration kind of limts that side for the PS3.

I'm not so sure if backward compatibility is as big a selling point as it was, years back. A second hand PS2 is dirt cheap and if you have a big PS2 collection you're probably still hanging on to the PS2. I admit that my telly has a PS2 and GameCube plugged in permanently, as well as the PS3. The older consoles hardly ever get fired up because I can't stop playing cheap but good games off PSN.
misternicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

I agree with you misternicky. I get the feeling "Backwards Compatibility" is like a security blanket. You don't really use it, it is just comforting to know you have it.

It comes from the notion that people won't upgrade if they feel they can't use all the stuff they have bought in the past.

It is time to just let it go!
Old 20th August 2009, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1213

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by misternicky View Post
... Older PS3s push out quite some heat, so the fan is working away most of the time - which is background noise I could do without.
You don't own an XBOX360 do you?! Shockingly loud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misternicky View Post
I'm not so sure if backward compatibility is as big a selling point as it was, years back. A second hand PS2 is dirt cheap and if you have a big PS2 collection you're probably still hanging on to the PS2. I admit that my telly has a PS2 and GameCube plugged in permanently, as well as the PS3. The older consoles hardly ever get fired up because I can't stop playing cheap but good games off PSN.
Even with the PS2 backwards compatibility, after playing a PS2 title, going back to a PS title was not going to happen. Maybe it's just in our house... who knows.

DrunkenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote