The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   PS3: Backwards Compatibility and Save Games (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/254479-backwards-compatibility-save-games.html)

Schizo 21st August 2009 01:50 AM

Backwards Compatibility and Save Games

Ok, I've been searching the internet trying to find a straight answer to these questions and generally coming up with a lot of confusion on my end.

I just purchased a PS3 yesterday due to the price drop. I bought the 160GB version bundled with the Uncharted game.

Now, my stand is getting a little crowded with all the hardware on it, so I was hoping I could pull my PS2 off the shelf and use the PS3 in it's place.

I know the discontinued 60GB model was the last one to offer hardware support for PS2 and PS1 games. Apparently the 160GB model I own offers support through software emulation for PS2 games, but still offers hardware support for PS1 games? I've not had a chance yet to test out my old PS2 games on the PS3 to see how well it performs. I did go through the menus and created virtual memory cards for both PS2 and PS1 games. However, this brings me to my next question.

How can I import my saved games from my memory cards for the PS1 and PS2 over to the PS3? I've read about a cable that supposedly plugs into the USB port that would be able to copy the files, but I'm not sure if that would work with my model of PS3 or not. Also, I would need to know how this device would recognize the save files and use them properly. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance :)

Ancient_One 21st August 2009 07:35 AM

The cable is actually an adapter which connects to a USB cable to enable you to plug in the old PS1/PS2 save cartridges. You can then transfer their contents to the PS3 HD. It doesn't allow the reverse of this. ie it's a one way trip.

Yes they were providing Firmware upgrades which contained emulation of a sort to enable game play of older PS2/PS1 games but only the original 60GB Aussie version and the original American versions of the machines can play PS2 games. The newer PS3's can only play PS1 games.

The originally released US PS3 had both a PS2 chip and a graphics chip for PS2 game play.
The AUS original 60GB version had only the graphics chip but was supported by the Firmware upgrades containing files to support PS2 playback.

Sorry mate. Your new PS3 will not play PS2 games unless they actually create and install as part of a Firmware upgrade a full PS2 Emulator.

Hope that helps mate.

Schizo 21st August 2009 10:07 PM

Interesting...so why do they have a utility that would create virtual PS2 memory cards on the HDD if the hardware is incapable of playing any PS2 games?

I *should* have tested this last night, but I got sucked into a 4 hour marathon of playing MGS4 when I got home from work and forgot all about it ;)

Ancient_One 21st August 2009 11:40 PM

Creation of the memory cards is part of the Firmware which is a single firmware covering all the different PS3's which have been released. You can create the card slots on any PS3.

Silly I know but that's how it is.