TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Old 17th December 2009, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tux
Elite - Post: 2780

Lurking
Default Looking for an Unbiassed opinion

Heya
Im moving cities and after ive relocated im going to give away PC games and buy a console.
Im looking for an unbiassed opinion on which to buy. I currently have a Wii and am looking to buy a PS3 or XBOX
Input from someone who has both consoles would be really appreciated.
Im looking at online content mainly but am after some chat about who has the best games etc etc.

Sorry if this has been asked before but im after input thats up to date since the firmware obviously changes.
Apologies again if this is posted in the wrong area

TYIA

Old 17th December 2009, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 8943

Breezy

You came to the right place my friend. A few TOGGERs have both machines and could probably give you a comparison between the two systems then obviously it will still come down to yourself making a enlightened decision.

I myself have a PS3. In fact 2 of them.

Blueray, previous PS2 console, backward compatibility (no longer available on new machines) and a great range of games influenced my decission.

The latest build of the PS3 is a slim form factor which fits into most peoples entertainment areas.

Add to that the ability to increase the HD without voiding warrantee is an added bonus. Simple procedure with a screwdriver will set you right.

Space is your friend.
Old 17th December 2009, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 110

Lurking

I'm not sure of the exact figures and this is purely my experience, xbox live seemed to have a larger online communty than the Playstation network, BUT you have to pay for it, whereas PSN you don't.
Old 17th December 2009, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1391

Happy

Regarding the PS3 vs 360 battle provided console exclusives aren't a huge factor in your decision, I would like to know aliyyle more of what you want from the console.

To break it down a bit:

Do you want media support? Both have it but PS3 is Bluray, both can stream from a PC, and both consoles are pushing into the online streaming of movies and TV shows straight from the unit.

Storage doesn't matter both offer models with a few hindered gig, although PS3 is easier to upgrade further.

Networking and online play. Despite the PS improving and being a free service (for now), 360 owns it but you do have to pay to play. I find myself opening ports for the PS alot more then 360 in regards to hosting and joining squads in certain games. Which leads me to connectivity, the xbox is more so plug and play where the PS can require some tweaking and manual setup of ip sub and DNS (depending on router) even with PC as you would expect the box is childs play. Multiplayer is more stable on 360 and even more so for voice comms (but that's what u expect u pay for it), so straight up if it's multi console release based heavily on multiplayer and nit coming to PC for awhile I almost always go the 360 I hate comms not working.

Interface, to me the PS has a more mature feel although the avatars on the 360 are pretty sweet even lil games u can get for them, I don't use home on PS so eh lol. Xbox has a larger arcade range that u can trial and buy and more remakes of well know titles then PS and as for the old box and ps1 games they both off nice choices but I don't get into that.

PS3 games are not region coded I know this works as I (when the dollar is sitting nice) buy alot of my PS3 games from play-asia (plz check it's US unless u can read japanese hehe) where the box requires mods.

Looking to the future ... Well 360 has a few more years on the PS3 and most new titles on the box are really puhing the limits of the hardware an look great, but give true PS3 devs more time added with the space avalible on bluray there are huge possibilities but by then something new will be out.

Oh man so much more but I got a brain block, please let me know I you would like me to expand on anything or if it has been helpful. At the end of the day I play both, and flirt with both, but PC is my true love.

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!

Last edited by delushin; 17th December 2009 at 10:11 PM.
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Mate it really depends on your gaming preferences and if you are looking at the whole home entertainment package.

I will give you (personal opinion only) pros and cons so you are not making a choice blind, but at the end of the day get the console that suits your needs best.

XBOX Pros:
  • Cheaper of the two
  • Better controller for FPS (IMHO)
  • More stable online play than PSN (IMHO) and communication (voice and message) is more user friendly than the PS3
  • A more active online community in most cases.
  • Updates are ultra quick
  • Exclusives such as HALO series, MASS EFFECT series, Gears of War series, Forza series, etc.
  • collects less dust than the PS3 (Laugh if you will, but it does for some reason??)

XBOX Cons:
  • Not as solid a build as the PS3 (Although later models are better than the old ones)
  • Online products are purchased in MS points and most items are way over priced! I hate &$%(*& Microsoft points!
  • You have to pay a yearly subscription to play online (offset by a far better online service though)
  • Transferring files between consoles is at best a pain in the arse, at worst impossible.
  • You have to pay about $150 extra for wireless connectivity (although there is a work around if you PC is close) and you can only use a proprietary hard drive, biggest 120Gb (unless you buy the 250Gb MW2 limited edition console)

PS3 Pros:
  • Bluray! (If you have a HD tv you need Bluray )
  • Better console for platform games and fighting games
  • Better controller for fighting games by a long way and internal battery is better than XBOX battery. (D-Pad is way superior than XBOX D-Pad.)
  • Exclusives such as Gran Tourismo, Uncharted series, Killzone, Little Big Planet, etc.
  • Online Market place is better (IMHO) than XBOX market place and shows costs in "real" dollars. Also you can use your purchases on up to 5 PS3 consoles.
  • You can upgrade the Hard Drive easily and are not limited to proprietary units. (I upgraded both of mine with 500gb HDD for less than the price of 1 X 120Gb XBOX HDD).
  • Now has the ability to record HD and SD TV (With Play TV)
  • Ability to pair your PS3 with a PSP or PSP-GO for some cool features
  • Many USB PC devices will work on the PS3, such as Keyboards, headsets, etc.
  • Bluetooh connectivity
  • Logitech make the best racer steering wheel and it is exclusive to the PS3 (oh and PC, but we are not talking about PC's! )

PS3 cons:
  • Online connectivity is not as stable as XBOX Live (but it is free ) Online gaming is far easier and more stable on the XBOX
  • Updates take FOREVER on the PS3 compared to XBOX. This is my biggest pet hate of the PS3 ... THE $#%&^&%^ UPDATES! They are constant and take forever to download!
  • Online comunication is a pain in the arse. I still can't get the hang of the mail system and have missed many messages XBOX has this hands down over the PS3
  • The dust I mentioned earlier (but I don't know if this applies to the new slim models??)
  • Gamer points are cooler than Trophies IMHO )
  • No Master Chief!

As I said go with what suits your needs best. As a media unit, the PS3 is far superior with the Bluray, but both can play MPEG 4, DIVX, WMA, etc.

IMHO the XBOX "feels" better for gaming (especially FPS's) but the PS3 is closing the gap at a rapid pace (and fighting games blow chunks on the XBOX unless you fork out for an arcade stick). In the graphics department they are about the same.

So if it is only for gaming I would recommend the XBOX 360.

For a complete entertainment unit (especially if you want a good Bluray player) I recommend the PS3.

My ultimate recommendation though ... Get them both!

See Click's PS3 guide here
See my XBOX 360 guide here

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 17th December 2009 at 04:22 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 669

Cheeky

i have both consoles but i prefer my 360 because my main use for consoles is online gaming, and the 360 easily kicks the PS3 in that department.
the ps3 just kinda sits there and only gets used when i want to play my blu-ray movies (i only have 2 lol, dark knight and transformers 2)

for the media playing part, the PS3 is now very easy to integrate into the home entertainment setup, especially with the PlayTV component. However, if you have a decent PC hooked up to your entertainment system, it will easily do better.

so my vote is for the xbox if you're main use is gonna be gaming.

^.^
Mysterio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by delushin View Post
Networking and online play. Despite the PS improving and being a free service (for now), 360 owns it but you do have to pay to play. I find myself opening ports for the PS alot more then 360 in regards to hosting and joining squads in certain games. Which leads me to connectivity, the xbox is more so plug and play where the PS can require some tweaking and manual setup of ip sub and DNS (depending on router) even with PC as you would expect the box is childs play. Multiplayer is more stable on 360 and even more so for voice comms (but that's what u expect u pay for it), so straight up if it's multi console release based heavily on multiplayer and nit coming to PC for awhile I almost always go the 360 I hate comms not working.
I disagree. Place your PS3 in the Demilitarized Zone of your router and you don't have an issue with communications or online connectivity.

Actually I don't have issues period but maybe that's me.
Old 17th December 2009, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
Online connectivity is not as stable as XBOX Live (but it is free ) Online gaming is far easier and more stable on the XBOX

Updates take FOREVER on the PS3 compared to XBOX. This is my biggest pet hate of the PS3 ... THE $#%&^&%^ UPDATES! They are constant and take forever to download!

Online comunication is a pain in the arse. I still can't get the hang of the mail system and have missed many messages XBOX has this hands down over the PS3
Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) will solve your issues if going through a router mate.
Old 17th December 2009, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Do you have any instructions for how to make this magic happen?

Edit: Is ok, I found some

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 17th December 2009 at 07:46 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1391

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
I disagree. Place your PS3 in the Demilitarized Zone of your router and you don't have an issue with communications or online connectivity.

Actually I don't have issues period but maybe that's me.
DMZ does own and I love it ... But it might just be my router? However I can only have 1 DMZ, and with 2 consoles I choose to have the 360 set to it as I use that for more online gaming then the PS3.

If you know how to have two IP's in DMZ please hit me up man I would love that <3

It would mean less setting changes.

I dont mind if I have to change routers let me know

True to type organic, heirloom and open pollinated seeds, join the revolution against modified foods and enjoy the taste of home grown food.

Grow fresh, eat fresh!

Last edited by delushin; 17th December 2009 at 10:14 PM.
delushin is offline   Reply With Quote