TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Old 18th December 2009, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy
Question Play TV - Move recordings?

Ok you PS3 guru's ...

Can you move your Play TV recordings off your PS3?

Old 18th December 2009, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 308

Mellow

From PlayStation 3 PlayTV

Quote:
Can I copy PlayTV recordings off my PS3?

Note that Freeview compliance for Australia means this function has been removed. It can be accessed by setting the location to 'other', copying files to the XMB, and then setting location back to Australia.
Yes, but only if they are smaller than 4GB. 4GB is the largest file that can be stored on a FAT32 formatted USB drive, which is the only device that the PS3 can copy files to.
Effectively this means you can copy a 1 hour SD show or a half hour HD show. Movies (SD or HD) will be too large to copy.
The PlayStation 3 and PlayTV does not (yet) have any way of splitting a recording into 4GB chunks.
So yes it is possible but requires workarounds.

Freeview compliance has also resulted in the 1min skip ahead and 120x fast forward features being removed for Aust users.
Flibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Added question, can you get it to record longer than the show you ask it to record. Many stations run over time so I end up missing 5 to 10min of the end of the show

You know I am starting to get really pissed off with the level of Government involvement in my daily life.

My internet is crap because the government won't do what it has promised to do.

My games are being cut to crap because I am apparently not old enough, or responsible a parent enough, to make my own decisions about what I and my family can or can't see.

And now I can't save a program for later viewing the way I wan't (but I can with TIVO if I want to pay extra money).

We live in a free country right?

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 18th December 2009 at 02:03 PM.
Pure Mongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Caretaker
Console Forum Manager
Ace - Post: 8941

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
We live in a free country right?
Well........

As for PlayTV. It comes with 2 tuners can't you record 2 TV shows at the same.?

I didn;t buy one so not sure.

I know you can record TV while playing a game so can't see why if your not playing that you can't record 2 TV shows.

Did they not think people would do that.
Old 18th December 2009, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Actually mate it can record while you are watching a DVD / Bluray or playing a game.

What I am angry about is that when they released Play TV in Australia the government would not give it the "freeview" tag without SONY removing the ability to copy recordings to the XMB, thereby stopping people in Australia from moving recordings off the PS3 onto external drives, etc.

TIVO, which is also Freeview approved (and owned by channel 7) does allow you to move recordings off the TIVO to your PC, etc ... but you have to pay a large some of money to get the software.

A lot of double standards at the moment with out governing bodies.

MW2 can have a level where you can kill innocent civilians, but L4D 2 is highly cut because the censorship board were upset that players could kill "Virus Infected" humans.

THEY ARE ZOMBIES FOR &^*$%&%^$ SAKE! YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO %&^$&^$ KILL THEM!

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 18th December 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 18th December 2009, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
What I am angry about is that when they released Play TV in Australia the government would not give it the "freeview" tag without SONY removing the ability to copy recordings to the XMB, thereby stopping people in Australia from moving recordings off the PS3 onto external drives, etc.

TIVO, which is also Freeview approved (and owned by channel 7) does allow you to move recordings off the TIVO to your PC, etc ... but you have to pay a large some of money to get the software.

A lot of double standards at the moment with out governing bodies.
Freeview has nothing to do with the government. Freeview is owned by the free to air TV stations and they have a secret list of requirements that equipment has to meet before it can carry the Freeview tag.

It is not a requirement that equipment be Freeview complient, that is up to the manufacturer. Sony, who consider themselves the champions of DRM, have decided to fall in line with the TV stations and go the Freeview route. Many other manufacturers produce both Freeview and non Freeview complient equipment. That way they get to sell to Joe Average, who thinks he has to have Freeview branded equipment, and the tech savvy who know that Freeview is a crock of #$%@.

Ultimately Freeview is a scheme cooked up by the free to air stations to try and prevent people skipping adds and copying material to pc's etc.
Old 19th December 2009, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 669

Cheeky

wow, 4gb for a 1hour SD tv show.... guess it doesnt use any form of compressed formatting... i'd much rather stick to dling all my TV shows off the net... similar quality, much smaller files, 700mb for a typical 42minute tv show (1hour on tv cuz of ads). and since australia always airs stuff much later than the US, i get to watch the shows before most others :P

as for the classifications for gaming, thats is all BS and just about any one with half a brain realises that Michael Atkinson is an idiot. Its not like banning the games has ever stopped people from getting them in australia. all it does is promote pirating or importing from other countries, and in the end the only ones that suffer are local retailers (and the unfortunate few who cant import or dl).

as for freeview, its just a typical scheme that the major corporations have promoted as the "basic requirements" for a good entertainment set up. unfortunately, the majority of australians arent very good with technology so they can pull these stunts off without much public backlash. give it another 20 years when the so called gen y, z & alpha become the main market target, those companies are gonna be screwed since most of us grew up with laptops, iphones etc and can understand atleast one form of programming language. pullign the wool over our eyes in terms of technology is indeed going to be a challenge.

^.^
Mysterio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2009, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibbs View Post
Ultimately Freeview is a scheme cooked up by the free to air stations to try and prevent people skipping adds and copying material to pc's etc.
Then I take make my rant regarding Government control on TV.
(Now I need a TV exec to vent my rage at ... )

But they still messed up my Holiday Zombie killing fun!

I recorded an episode of Stargate Atlantis (standard Def) the other night (1 hour show) and it was just over a 1.5 gig.

As a side ponder: The Play TV unit is a USB device, I wonder if you can use it on your PC?

Last edited by Pure Mongrel; 19th December 2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 19th December 2009, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mellow

Funny you should ask that. I came across a driver for playtv the other day while looking for a PS3 controller driver for win 7 64bit. Found one but couldn't get it to work. Had it working great under xp but alas not with win 7.

Anyway, have a look at this post for using the playtv with a pc. Sony PlayTV Windows Driver available! - PlayStation®3 General - PlayStation.com Forums