The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   Game controls (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/279225-game-controls.html)

rokaan 13th January 2010 03:31 AM

Game controls

I don't know if it is only me but have you noticed that some games require you to be able to do gymnastic moves in order to play the game.
Developers seem to think that to make a game with more complex controls will make it more successful ( more special moves etc) but it tends to be the opposite imho.

I do not wish to fight with the controls if I want to run and gun , the controls should be kept simple so I will be concentrating on the game and not the controls, keep it simple and the player will enjoy the game, and not get frustrated with the controls and give up playing the game, or throwing the controls down in disgust and frustration.

There are games that may have you moving the mini joystick(s) while pushing some buttons while you also push the shoulder buttons down just to execute one move and then it only works some of the time. I don't care how good the game is but if the controls have a steep learning curve then a lot of people will not have the patience to invest their time to learn them ( some of us don't have as much time as we used to :) ).

The K.I.S.S. method should definitely be used when applied to the controller controls for games.

A grumpy old mans opinion on the newer games that have overly complex controls.

Fall-Of-Enosis 13th January 2010 06:49 AM

Completely agree rokaan. I just had that issue with a game I just bought the other day. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. It will be going back to game stop come tonight. The controls are hopelessly broken and the game being insanely hard make for an unhappy gaming experience.

And dont forget to add you Gamertag to the the new 2010 gamertag list!!!

Pure Mongrel 13th January 2010 07:14 AM

I felt that way about Killzone 2.

I loved the game, but the controls were sluggish and it felt like you were always fighting them. Killzone 2 could have been PS3's HALO.

Following your K.I.S.S principle ... who else thinks all FPS should use the same button configurations?

The amount of times I have been playing a game like Rainbow 6, than get invited to game like CoD MW, only to throw a grenade at myself or a team mate because the buttons are different ... :oops:

Incise 13th January 2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel (Post 2656659)
The amount of times I have been playing a game like Rainbow 6, than get invited to game like CoD MW, only to throw a grenade at myself or a team mate because the buttons are different ... :oops:

LOL I know exactly what you mean, them 2 games dont mix well.

Fall-Of-Enosis 13th January 2010 09:35 AM

Totally. I think CODMW has the best feeling controls all around.

Mysterio3 13th January 2010 01:23 PM

wow, i actually think they should try to put more complicated controls into console games because without a mouse and keyboard, there just isnt enough buttons to do stuff. eg would love to be able to give commands to my team/squad using a comm rose interface that.
and i never really minded having to click multiple buttons combinations to do stuff... then again, im used it from the hundreds of key stroke combinations on PC, so its refreshing to change to a controller and only have like 10 different button combinations....

Pure Mongrel 13th January 2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysterio3 (Post 2657031)
wow, i actually think they should try to put more complicated controls into console games because without a mouse and keyboard, there just isnt enough buttons to do stuff. eg would love to be able to give commands to my team/squad using a comm rose interface that.

In single player a few games have that feature (R6V, Ghost Recon, etc), but not in multiplayer ... I think (Operation Flashpoint maybe :confused:)

As to my favorite "controlls" for a FPS. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 hands down.

Chief 13th January 2010 03:04 PM

I don't understand why console games don't allow fully customisable controls. They usually offer a few different combinations but none of them are ever exactly as I'd like them to be.

Although The Conduit was a huge flop, that was one thing it did perfectly.