The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   PS3 allegedly Hacked (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/281653-ps3-allegedly-hacked.html)

rokaan 27th January 2010 03:50 PM

PS3 allegedly Hacked

Hi all

A person has claimed that he has finally hacked the PS3 and that he can use it to play "Backup Game's" ( well not exactly what was said but read between the lines).

George Hotz says he's hacked 'unhackable' PlayStation 3 | News.com.au

As the saying goes ..What science invents,science can also circumvent.

--------------------------------------
Guild Wars:
Arack the Bold W/R 20 : Defy Pain
The Sandgroper N/E 20 : SS
Abigail E/Me 20 : Master of Magics

Chief 27th January 2010 03:53 PM

It is hacked, but can't be used to play "backup" games yet. All it does it let you insert and force execute code, so useless for most people but no doubt someone will use it to write a "backup" launcher soon. Hopefully Sony get on top of it quickly.

Pure Mongrel 27th January 2010 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info rokaan. :D

I moved your post here as it relates to hardware.

Dragonhammer 28th January 2010 06:56 AM

The Blu-ray drives can't be flashed and are locked, also the blu-ray disks contain encrypted keys that can't be copied and are needed to play the game.
So you won't see any pirated games for a long long time.

Pure Mongrel 28th January 2010 08:02 AM

The argument for moding a console so you can play internationally released games is now mute on the PS3.

There is no hiding that this is about games piracy. As chief said, I hope SONY get on op of his one fast.

jander 19th February 2010 10:05 PM

Everything is hackable. But it takes time and knowledge. After 3 years we have access to the PS3 kernel. Which means its almost 60% done.
Im sure that the blu ray will be decrypted soon.

ozivillan 19th February 2010 11:25 PM

would like the bluray side of it region free.

Pure Mongrel 20th February 2010 07:58 AM

I order many Blu-Rays from the states as there are many titles that don't make it to Oz.

Check this web site out. I use it to find out if a movie is region free, or will work on our players.

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray Players, Blu-ray News and Reviews, Blu-ray Release Dates, Blu-ray DVD

ozivillan 20th February 2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel (Post 2702400)
I order many Blu-Rays from the states as there are many titles that don't make it to Oz.

Check this web site out. I use it to find out if a movie is region free, or will work on our players.

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray Players, Blu-ray News and Reviews, Blu-ray Release Dates, Blu-ray DVD

loved HD DVD no region coding what so ever very high quality at a garuanteed low price form anywhere. blu ray needs to pull it's head out of it's arse very soon and deliver what we pay for. i object to having to pay between $30 to $40 for a region 4 BD with infirior audio tracks when other regions benifit from cheaper disks and superior audio tracks. and the latest balls up from Blu ray like others they have produced over the years Remastered disks. FFS get it right the first time. latest victim is gladiator. released on the shapire lable by Paramount. eagaerly anticipated release, which now has now fallen into the 'we did not do a very good job the first time around' so we are going to remaster it and get some more coin out of you. to be honest there are other sources for 720p and higher content at a fraction of the price
end of blu ray rant

Pure Mongrel 20th February 2010 04:39 PM

My biggest Blu-ray bugbear has been The Watchmen so far.

Within in 2 months or so of the release, they released the extended directors cut.

Just put the best edition out first (or at least at the same time) then that's it. I really want to see it, but refuse to fork out more money out of principle.

Not happy Jan :mad: