Old 6th March 2010, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9445

Breezy
Default Backup PS3 Old > PS3 Slim

My son has decided he would like to have his PS3 Slim back but wants to get his protected content from the old PS3 to the new slim the main reason he went with the old PS3 in the first place.

To compound this we will also change out the 250GB and 500GB HD's from one system to another.

So this weekend we are going to do a mammoth task of making it happen.

Since Firmware 3.15 we have had the ability to move protected content from one PS3 to another.

We intend to test this out tomorrow, Sunday 7th March 2010.

The setup:

PS3 Old with an external HD connected
PS3 Slim with an external HD connected.
USB Flash drive for Firmware Update.
LCD TV with 2 HDMI connections.

The plan:

Step One

Backup PS3 Old to external HD (overnight Sat)
Backup PS3 Slim to external HD (overnight Sat)
Download and setup USB flash drive with current firmware 3.15

Step Two

Copy Save files from PS3 Slim to USB Flash Drive. (no protected content)
Connect PS3 Old to PS3 Slim via a network cable
Tell PS3 Old to transfer to other system.
Tell PS3 Slim to transfer from other system.
PS3 Slim wiped of content.
PS3 Old content transferred to PS3 Slim.
PS3 Old Protected content deleted from PS3 Old

Step Three

Transfer PS3 save files from Flash drive to PS3 Old.

Safety Check

Confirm transfers have taken place correctly on both machines.
If not then a full restore can be done hence why we did backups on both console.

Step Four

Backup PS3 Old to external HD
Backup PS3 Slim to external HD

Step Five

Swap the HD's over between the PS3's.

Step Six

Reformat and install current Firmware both consoles

Step Seven

Restore HD's with backups.

Step Eight

Test both machines to ensure save files, games etc all work.

Okay so wish us luck and I will post our progress as the day goes.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 6th March 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Ancient_One is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th March 2010, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Good luck, A_1.
I've just been through this job (but without the HDD swapouts) only yesterday.
Bought a new slim PS3 so the kids can play on "the big TV" during the day, but I can still have the option to play either on "the Big TV" or in my office area when mummy's watching TV on "the big TV".
Big TV gets new slimline, My office has original 60GB, everyone has their same profiles, everyone is happy.

Unless you play Little Big Planet. (Which I know you don't, A_1 (I checked ), so you're OK)
Which is a Little Big Problem in my house, because all my kids have customised sackpersons, etc.

Official Sony Site has this to say:

Limitations of the data transfer utility (as of 10 December 10 2009)

Some types of data cannot be transferred using the data transfer utility, and some types of data can be transferred but not played on the destination PS3 system.
For the latest information, visit the support site for the data transfer utility. The following types of data are not transferrable:
  • Video content that has been downloaded as a rental from PlayStation Store (file type: MNV).
  • Tracks (including SongPacks) for SingStar software that have been saved on the PS3 system’s hard disk.
  • Game data from LittleBigPlanet.
  • Copyright-protected video files (file type: MGV).
  • Video files that are compatible with the DivX® VOD (Video On Demand) service.
  • The following PlayStation 2 format software titles, if they are installed on the PS3 system's hard disk: [FINAL FANTASY XI] and [Expansion Discs]; [SOCOM II: U.S. NAVY SEALs] and [Related discs included with OPM* Issue 87, OPM* Issue 88, OPM* Issue 89, OPM* Issue 90].
* Official PlayStation Magazine
For the following data types, you must perform some additional steps after completing the data transfer to be able to use the data:
  • Application data for Life with PlayStation®
Download and install the Life with PlayStation® application on the destination PS3 system. You can continue using your contribution points for the PlayStation Network ranking system of the Folding@home™ channel.
  • GripShift
When you start the game for the first time after the data transfer operation, an error message will be displayed and you will not be able to play the game. To play the game, download and install the game again.
  • Saved data for Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters: The Video Game
The saved game will not be recognised when you start the game for the first time after the data transfer operation. To use the saved data, quit the game, and then start the game again.
Old 7th March 2010, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2175

Confused

Quote:
Step Nine
Organise a full TOG squad MAG game to celebrate successful transfers.
Sounds like a lot of work, good luck with it mate
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843

Last edited by Chief; 7th March 2010 at 03:45 AM.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles

Breezy

Update One.

It is and made harder by our first setback.

We have 2 external HD setups.

The first is an iomega 1TB fixed unit.
The second is a unit which allows 2.5 and 3.5 HD's to be slotted into it.

The first unit had a large number of files requiring transfer firstly to one of our main computers. Then we tried to formate the HD from NTFS to fat 32 and swissknife would not allow it. No matter what we tried it refused to allow us to make the HD in iomega a 32 fat file system.

The second unit allowed us to format the 3.5 250GB HD easily with swissknife to 32 fat file system. We then put it to work on backing up PS3 Old overnight.

Then I remembered we still had the 2.5 120GB original HD from the slim. So this morning I managed to format this and it's currently backing up the slim now.

We are now delayed by the fact it took so long to get both units backed up and by the fact later today backup and restore functions will be through one external HD unit, Steps Four and Steps Seven.

As you know if you don't want to loose any content it takes 2 - 4 hrs per backup depending on the size of the HD.

I guess no MAG for me tonight.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 7th March 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 7th March 2010, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles

Breezy

Update Two.

Progress has been slow to say the least. The backups were completed by 10am.
We then manually copied the save files for 2 accounts from the slim to a USB flash drive.

This is very painfull given that you have to do each save file 1 by 1. This and the fact we realised Assassins Creed II is protected content. I sacrificed this save file to allow my son to transfer his 5 Protected Content files to the slim.

At 11:30am we started the PS3 Old to PS3 Slim transfer. It's now 4pm and after 4hrs 30min we still have around 1hr to go according to the timer.

It appears this will not be a single day process.

Please Note: when doing this sort of thing delete all content you don't want to save. It will speed up the whole process that much more quicker. My son wants everything, game demo's, music, trailers etc etc. 200GB worth of (shit). Don't you get caught in the trap.
Old 7th March 2010, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles

Breezy

Update Three.

It's been 9 hrs since the transfer started and it finally finished at 8:30pm.

We have decided to put off Steps Four through Seven until next weekend.

The transfer was perfect, nothing lost and only the protected content was deleted from the old PS3 so at present both machines look the same figuratively speaking. ie. folders, demo's, trailers etc.

Will install MAG to play for the week. See you in game.
Old 13th March 2010, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles

Breezy

Update Four.

Completed Step Four last night for both machines.

This morning I swapped out the HD's which only took 10min. Very easy to do once you have done it once before. Step Five complete.

Step Six issues:

PS3 Old was perfect. Recognised the HD suggested I format it then booted into the XMB. The PS3 Old retains the firmware as it has more flash RAM then the slim.

PS3 Slim was a pain. PS3 slim required the firmware to be available before it would format the HD. It had issues with my USB flash drive but we had a few on hand so was able to finally overcome the problem. The HD was formatted and then the Firmware installed.

Step Seven:

PS3 Old took around 2 hrs to restore the contents. 80GB backup image, 111GB of content.

PS3 slim is still restoring after 6hrs but all looks good so far.

Step Eight completed on the PS3 Old. Will complete Step Eight on the slim later tonight but I don't expect any problems.

Well I have to say it's been fun and it was interesting to see some of the major differences between the older and newer machines.

I think I prefer the older machine overall but that is obviously my own opinion.

Hope this helps anyone else who might be considering a similar upgrade.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 13th March 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

purchased a new PS3 slim today. was going to replace the hdd in the old PS3, then thought, stuff it; just get a new console.
have no idea what i'm supposed to do first, when it comes to setting up the new one & transferring all the data ect from the old PS3

so far all ive done is copy game save data onto 3 USB sticks. but there's more things i want to keep, ie-- some inbox messages & photos.

what do u guys suggest as a start point?

PSN: sellfcon
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles

Breezy

My Step Two above will help you mate but to clarify:

1. Sync your trophies to PSN.
2. Disable the wifi connection on the old PS3.
3. Switch off.
4. Connect PS3 Old to PS3 Slim via a network cable.
5. Switch on both machines.
6. Tell PS3 Old to transfer to other system.
7. Tell PS3 Slim to transfer from other system.
8. Go and get a beer as this will take some time depending on the amount of stuff to transfer.

Notes:

1. This will go more smoothly if you have both machines connected at the same time to the one TV. You can just switch between the channels to view the steps your taking.

2. All content on the old will be copied to the new.

3. All protected content will be transfered permanently to the new and deleted from the old.

Does that help a little.?
Old 10th April 2010, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 342

Dead

might have to use the slim PS3 as a temporary for when the old PS3 goes in to be repaired/reconditioned.

after the old one is reconditioned, i'd want to move all the data back to it.

PSN: sellfcon
maggot_bag is offline   Reply With Quote