Old 21st April 2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
EVE Division Captain
Ace - Post: 9079

Lurking
Default Considering a change

I love my wii. It's fun and gets me moving. The problem is the kids. They are now aged 12, 10 and 7. My 10 year old daughter is quite happy sitting for hours playing Sims2. But the boys are a different story. My eldest has started making grumbly noises about how 'baby' the games are. I looked at titles on offer for the wii and found them to be...limited.

I am considering a change to ps3 but am still not quite so sure. I can do a trade in and cut down the price considerably but it will still mean buying games all over again etc etc.

How good is the ps3? Please don't talk to me about xbox. I really don't like them....they irritate me for some reason.

thank you Birko for the sig
Ebonytears is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21st April 2010, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2439 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Goofy

The PS3 doesn't have many console exclusive young persons games - most of the games skewed towards a younger audience are multi-console so you'll find them on the Wii as well as the PS3.

They do have Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, Buzz - the quiz game, and Singstar, which is not only great for kids, but drunken parent parties as well

This might change with the PS3 Move - Sony's answer to the Wiimote device - but that's not due out to later this year.

I find the best thing about the PS3 is it's media streaming capabilities. I spend more time watching downloaded videos and playing music than actually playing games on it.
FunkyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9494

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJ View Post
They do have Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, Buzz - the quiz game, and Singstar, which is not only great for kids, but drunken parent parties as well

This might change with the PS3 Move - Sony's answer to the Wiimote device - but that's not due out to later this year.
Agree with everything FunkJ said. All games listed above are great and obviously as they get older they will be looking at the more hard core games like FPS, RPG's etc.

I have my fingers crossed that PS3 Move might fill in the gap for younger players but will depend on how many developers get onboard.

You could go middle of the road and add to your existing gaming system with a PS2. Still available and the games are as well. Then you could have a mix of family and hard core games on a cheaper budget.
Old 21st April 2010, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

I think you will enjoy the PS3 and it now has quite a few games for a younger audience ... but I would advise keeping the Wii. You and your family obviously enjoy it and I think you will regret trading it in.
Old 21st April 2010, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

My kids (the ones that play frequently) are 4, 5, 10 and 15 yrs in age.
They love *all* the Lego games (which are multiplatform anyway), Little Big Planet, Sonic, and any game that they think they're not allowed to play 'cos it's Dad's. (for instance, my 5yo girl has just discovered Burnout Paradise...)
I also have a 500Gb external drive that contains a heap of trailers, moves, and music that they also watch on the PS3.
If you really need something to clinch the deal, remember the PS3 has a built-in Blu-Ray player.
For a gaming console, I deliberated for a long while and weighed up the pros and cons between the various boxes. I haven't regretted my decision. (In fact, now my household has 2x PS3s and still no Xbox or Wii.) The other thing, if you play online, PSN is free to use. (until Sony realise they could charge...) AND you could play online with the rest of us Console Consortium reprobates. (Buy MAG and join the Raven Lunatics squad.. there's still a place that Click left vacant )

If you like the Wii because of the fitness/movement thing, I'd be inclined to keep it - you won't get as much for a trade-in once you consider how much you've spent on the games already. But then again, I've been accused of being a hoarder before now, too...
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 720

Not sure if anyone else has this issue but I find my wireless Xbox 360 controllers don't last a long time (maybe 12 hours), whereas my PS3 controller lasts a hell of a lot longer.
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Probably the difference in power consumption between radio and bluetooth
Old 22nd April 2010, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 720

Didn't think of that before, that could explain it.
Old 22nd April 2010, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
EVE Division Captain
Ace - Post: 9079

Lurking

Thanks guys Thinking I might keep the wii and start stashing money away for a ps3. Might even see if the kids are willing to fork over some pocket money

thank you Birko for the sig
Ebonytears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 09:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9494

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonytears View Post
Thanks guys Thinking I might keep the wii and start stashing money away for a ps3. Might even see if the kids are willing to fork over some pocket money
Now that's a good idea.