Old 25th April 2010, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official Battlefield Welcomer
Deadly - Post: 2012 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Asleep
Default Which one to get for family?

Hey Toglodytes, SWMBO and myself are looking at getting a console for the family. I am a happy PC gamer and have never felt the need for a console (I'm old and don't cope too well with change ) lol, last "console" I had may have been the C64 with its cartridge games! Anyone remember YouTube - C64 Gamevideo 20 - International Soccer ?

However, my wife likes the idea of the Wii as it means more movement rather than just sitting on the couch pressing buttons. She is not a gamer at all, but has admitted to liking older style games like pacman and frogger.

We have a 5 year old that we really don't want exposed to too much violence while we can avoid it, so I have been thinking that the Wii may fit the above criteria of more movement, and simpler, less violent games. Am I on the right track?

I have been reading a few threads through this board, and I appreciate the comments. Its good to see some robust debate (at least in regards to PS3 and Xbox).

The extra queries that I absolutely no idea about are:

• expected prices - I am guessing that accessories will blow out costings.
  • longevity (I see PS will have a new system at end of year? PS Move, that will probably wipe the floor in comparison to current Wii?)
Probably more that I haven't considered though.

So in sum, after a somewhat rambling post, my question basically is, "Is the Wii any good as a family friendly platform or should we stick to one of the other systems?"

Thanks!!
Tulgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25th April 2010, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9295

Breezy

Mate I think your spot on for choice their. I can say with a 5 year old and a wife who is not a gamer the Wii will be the best choice. Not to mention the fact your a PC gamer.

Wii Sports games get everyone up and playing, from swinging a racket or bat to riding a jet ski.
Wii Skate or Skate It come with a skate board and will be fn to play on.
Wii Fit obvious choice for in house exercise during the winter months.

Get some Mario Games like Mario Kart, Mario World and so on.

I see your in Brisbane so Australian prices wil kick in I suppose.

Allow $400 for the initial setup. Console, controller, nunchuk and game.
Depending on how many are playing you might have to buy at least 1 more controller and Nunchuk at around $100. 2 more if the whole family is playing. ie. three players.

Mario Kart will set you back $75 with a steering wheel. If all in the family are racing then 2 more wheels around $19 each depending on if they are Nintendo original or third party.

Wii Fit will set you back $150 I think with a board.

Personnaly I would say you could easily spend $800 - $1000 on the whole set up depending on the number of players and the type of games.

Early days for the PS Move which would mean it could take up to 12 months to see some really good games come out after release. The Wii might be your better option for a youngster.

Kiz should be able to provide a better run down once she see's this post.
Old 26th April 2010, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1242

Relaxed

PS2... cheap console (about $90), cheap and current games, kids pick it up in no time. Unless you get a Wii Fit, the amount of activity they'll get is negligible compared to whatever else they would do (ie. getting outside, running and riding etc). But yeah, you're right, peripherals will send up the price of any console regardless of which you choose.

DrunkenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4349

Goofy

Not to discount my learned division brothers but I would go the PS3.
(Give it a second for the XBOX boys to stop yelling traitor at their computer monitors )

My reasonings:

1) Although the most expensive of the three initially, the PS3 is the most complete and robust of the three consoles. It is the only one with Blu-Ray, DVD, Bluetooth wireless network access and flexibility regarding peripherals and upgrades. (You can use any USB keyboard, microphone or head set. On top of this you can upgrade the Hard Drive with almost any over the counter lap top Hard Drive and you don't need to know anything about putting computers together). Prices for the PS3 have come down quite a lot, but you are still looking in the $500 range for the console). There are hidden costs with the XBOX (No wireless networking without purchase of an adaptor, only propitiatory hard drives can be used, no Blu-Ray at all, etc.) and the Wii is only a games console.

2) Having appropriate material for you child to play is one thing, but you will want to use it as well. As PC Gamers, after the novelty of the Wii wares off you will find very little to keep you interested unless you are hard core Nintendo fans. There are many games available for the PS3 that will be appropriate for a 5 year old (EyePet would be my first recommendation). So for over all family use the PS3 is miles ahead of the Wii and has some advantages over the XBOX 360.

3) Accessing the PSN (Playstation Network) is free. XBOX requires a monthly or yearly subscription to play with others online.

4) The Online Playstation store has more games for kids that than the XBOX Market place IMHO and they give costs in real money, not Microsoft Points so you have control and a real understanding of what you are spending.

5) The PS3 is launching a Wii like motion controller this year, with similar games to that on offer by Nintendo. So you will not miss out on Wii style games by going to the PS3. As PC gamers you will not be impressed by the Nintendo's graphics I fear and as a family of gamers, I think you will want more choice than the Wii can offer.

The PS3 is the Hub of my families home entertainment. It is used to play our movies, our music and most of our gaming now (we use to be very XBOX focused ... but that is changing). It is even our PVR as with PlayTV we use it to record TV shows.

If I was forced to pick one console for my family, it would be the PS3.

My two cents for what it's worth
Old 27th April 2010, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Average - Post: 230

Confused

Even though I am a XBOX person I must say that even though Pure makes some good points about the PS3 I would still recommend a Wii cause of the young one you have. I have a Wii for my two girls who are 12 and 9 and they love it. I think the Wii offers alot more kid wise then any of the other systems and sure XBOX may have great games and PS3 may be able to play blu rays but its about the little one in the family and really the Wii takes no big learning to get it going its just a matter of swinging the controller. Any game for Wii pretty much tells you how to use the controllers as you play the game and the Wii Fit with its board is really good for the kids mine like the ski jump and a few others even though their mother and I are always telling them to use the other exercises in the game lol.

So in the end I would say stick with the Wii it is for sure the easiest and the most kid friendly on the market.
DarkMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 926

Mellow

Wii is for people that are not gamers and don't want to be gamers,just take one look at their game catalog it tells you one thing, total crap.
Waving your arms around and looking like a fool infront of your TV set may seem like a good idea but gets old real fast.
Gaming is about having fun in a challenge,sinds the Wii is designed for people that have never gamed before in their life you soon discover that the challenge isn't there and will leave you wanting.
Your wife like's games like pacman and frogger those games despite their looks are real hardcore and unforgiving, just try pacman i can garantee you get your ass handed to you.
You can download those games on the playstation network by the way.

Last edited by Dragonhammer; 27th April 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Dragonhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

I was EB games the other day and a guy was trading a Wii in. They offered him $100 for the unit and a Wii Fit, just to letting you know

PS3 all the way

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I was EB games the other day and a guy was trading a Wii in. They offered him $100 for the unit and a Wii Fit, just to letting you know

PS3 all the way
Did you offer him $150?
Old 30th April 2010, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official Battlefield Welcomer
Deadly - Post: 2012 TOG Bronze Level Supporter

Asleep

Thanks all for your help and useful comments. Wifey went on a mission despite info and ended up getting an x-box 360, with 250Gb mem, 2 controllers and 2 games for $420. I had a quick check on shopbot and that seemed pretty good?
Tulgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulgar View Post
Thanks all for your help and useful comments. Wifey went on a mission despite info and ended up getting an x-box 360, with 250Gb mem, 2 controllers and 2 games for $420. I had a quick check on shopbot and that seemed pretty good?

Hope she got a warranty

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote