Old 4th January 2011, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2540

Question Steering wheel controllers: worth the effort?

I just purchased a not-Logitec brand (I'm purposely not naming brand - I believe one TOGger referred to them as craptastic) USB steering wheel controller, because... well... I have no idea why, really, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and the price seemed reasonable)
Anyhoo; some detail:
  1. I've never used a wheel controller on my PS3 before.
  2. it's specifically designed for the PS3.
  3. It connects via wired USB
  4. the flippers, pedals (x2) and gear shift are re-programmable.
After a little minor reprogramming of the buttons, I've configured it in such a manner as it now works and functions to my satisfaction with the only 2 Driving games I have; namely NFS:Hot Pursuit and of course, Burnout Paradise. (Haven't tried it on ModNation Racers, since that's pretty much been laid claim to for the kids' PS3)
I also have GT5 waiting at the post office for me to pick up (since the PO wasn't open over NY ).

However, after giving the new wheel a burl last night, I was a little disappointed to find that my NFS times were around 20seconds down on those I had previously achieved with a standard PS3 controller - even on occasions where I'd thought to myself "that was a pretty good run".

My questions for my fellow PS3 TOGgers who have such a controller (irregardless of brand) are;
  1. How do you get on with your wheel?
  2. Do you generally do better or worse with a wheel than std controller?
  3. Does it depend on the game you're playing at the time?
  4. Do you find the some games are "more fun" to play with a controller than a wheel?
  5. Am I just bleating because I'm not used to using a wheel?
  6. Does it get better?

Old 4th January 2011, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 5501

Pensive

1. How do you get on with your wheel?

Great, I buy it a drink now and then and we get on famously.

2. Do you generally do better or worse with a wheel than std controller?

Better, but see my next answer

3. Does it depend on the game you're playing at the time?

If the wheel support isn't done well or its super arcade-y I use a controller.

4. Do you find the some games are "more fun" to play with a controller than a wheel?

No game that supports a wheel properly.

5. Am I just bleating because I'm not used to using a wheel?

My standard response to the initial "wheelshock" most ppl suffer is "If your still getting bad times after using it as long as you have a controller then you have an issue."

6. Does it get better?

Yes!

Ultimately I think a good wheel and pedal sets will give you better times, under certain conditions.

My recent experience with GT5 was that find every damn assist in the settings and turn it off (leave abs and traction to your liking). The seem to be put in place for pads not wheels and will make it harder for you.

Also if your striving to really drive your vehicle and turn all the assists off a wheel will help you do some much better than a wheel. If your racing under these conditions pretty much no one using a controller will be able to touch you.

Forcefeedback will help you feel the the car and your traction level and give you a greater awareness of the camber and contours of the road. The downside of forcefeedback is people ramming and nudging you, rumble strips and losing contact with the ground will affect your control of the vehicle in a way no pad will.

Speculating races run by ppl using wheels looks more natural and like real racing, its hard to explain but there is a real difference.

TL;DR Wheels kickass!

I do use a G27 however so YMMV.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
"It takes just as much work to achieve failure as it does to achieve success."

Last edited by King_Rocket; 4th January 2011 at 04:49 PM.
King_Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4298

Goofy

Without knowing (or testing) the wheel you have Cadder it is hard for me to answer the question.

I love using my Steering Wheel, but it is only really useful for sim style games such as GT5, F1 2010, etc.

The Need for Speed games, and other arcade racers, are better played with a controller. (Dirt 2 leaps to mind as a game that is better with the controller).

A steering wheel does take time to get use too, but once you do (and you have got a handle on manual gears), your times will improve immensely.

This being said, there are only two console games currently one the market I would entertain getting a wheel for, Forza 3(4) and GT5 IMHO. (F1 if you are into that that style of racing.)
Old 5th January 2011, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel View Post
(Dirt 2 leaps to mind as a game that is better with the controller)

It really isn't but the hardware auto detect system doesn't work properly so it treats all analogue steering inputs as if it were a control stick.

If you crack open the configure file and manually set it you get real 1:1 steering.

Its a good example of the game failing and making the wheel look bad.

"If a job's worth doing, no further justification is required." - Alice: Madness Returns
Old 5th January 2011, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2540

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Rocket View Post
If you crack open the configure file and manually set it you get real 1:1 steering.
How does one do that on a PS3?
Old 5th January 2011, 03:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pensive

Sadly it isn't an option for you, only Mongrel (he's been playing Dirt 2 on PC).

This bug was ported over from grid, it still affect all know versions AFAIK.

Before you make up your mind, get GT5 running and do some of the licences with your wheel.
It has some of the best wheel support for a game, any format.

Old 5th January 2011, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 913

How do you get on with your wheel?
Love it!
Do you generally do better or worse with a wheel than std controller?
Can't play with a controller.
Does it depend on the game you're playing at the time?
I find wheels are best suited to GT/Forza/F1 styled games. Perhaps not as suited for rally/crashbash/kart stuff.
Do you find the some games are "more fun" to play with a controller than a wheel?
With a wheel I find gaming much more immersive, and on the whole a better experience. A shit game is a shit game though, and won't get any better for using/not using a wheel.
Am I just bleating because I'm not used to using a wheel?
Yes & no. If you've scored a cheap, bodgy wheel just for the hell of it, you're probably getting a proportionate return on your investment. If you took the time, studied and then acquired an appropriate wheel, perhaps bought or built a stand, you'd no doubt get out more of it.
Does it get better?
It won't be long before you can't play with a control either.

okkervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6615

Grumpy

Bit much ?

Thrustmaster T500 RS – PlayStation.Blog.Europe