Old 29th January 2011, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9330

Breezy
Default Controller Question

I have a controller here which squeaks when you use the R2 or L2 buttons.
Like plastic on plastic rubbing sound.

I also think this controller was one provided with the new PS3 so might have a warrantee claim I can approach Sony with as I have only had it for 2 months.

Does anyone else have this issue at all with their controllers. I have another 5 controllers and none of them squeak like this one and some of them are original Aussie release controllers.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 29th January 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Ancient_One is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29th January 2011, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 4587

Fine

I have one controller which I think must have taken a beer spill to its face... It doesn't move nearly as smoothly as the others! Have been looking forward to getting out the jewellers screwdriver and disecting it!
Old 29th January 2011, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 2187

Fine

One of my controllers rattles as i've dropped it a few times. The rubber on the left stick spins around as well. I lost it once for a few days and found it in the eldests doll house. It still works perfectly. I've never heard the buttons squeak, but I'm normally shouting at the TV when ever the controller is in my hand.

Remember if it doesn't move and should use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't use duct tape.

George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
I have a controller here which squeaks when you use the R2 or L2 buttons.
Like plastic on plastic rubbing sound.
In between the L@ and L1 button on the PS3 controllers is a little plastic cover-piece that "fills in the gap" that's left when the two halves (top & bottom) of the controller go together. Just check that's seated properly. I had one squeaky like that (on one side), and it turned out the controller had been dropped (by a none-too-careful junior player) and that little filler piece had shifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghoidal View Post
I have one controller which I think must have taken a beer spill to its face... It doesn't move nearly as smoothly as the others! Have been looking forward to getting out the jewellers screwdriver and disecting it!
Dissecting controllers isn't that hard. There're a few instructables on the 'net. If you can't find any, do a google search for "PS3 controller LED Mod". They can be a little fiddly to put back together, but not difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
One of my controllers rattles as i've dropped it a few times. The rubber on the left stick spins around as well. I lost it once for a few days and found it in the eldests doll house. It still works perfectly. I've never heard the buttons squeak, but I'm normally shouting at the TV when ever the controller is in my hand.
Remember if it doesn't move and should use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't use duct tape.
One of my original-release controllers is now f*cked, since that's one (of two) that the kids play with. The thumbsticks not only spin around, but don't return to centre any more either. And on the broken one, the L2 is in a permanently "on" position.
I have several controllers. I especially bought a white controller when they first came out. ALL my kids (ranging in age from 2.5 to 16) know they DON'T touch Dad's white controller, on pain of death.
All the other ones are colour-coded with a coloured rubber band around them so we know which one is which (red, blue, green and yellow). The blue one is now defunct. The green one is next to go.
As an aside, I was looking on ebay and you can now buy pink, red, blue and orange coloured genuine Dualshock3 controllers for a fraction of what they used to be. I was considering in investing in one each for the kids next Christmas.
Old 1st February 2011, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9330

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadder View Post
As an aside, I was looking on ebay and you can now buy pink, red, blue and orange coloured genuine Dualshock3 controllers for a fraction of what they used to be.
Gee whiz your right mate. They are like half price then Aussie stock.

So who gets the pink one.?
Old 1st February 2011, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
So who gets the pink one.?
My 6yo Daughter. I'm hoping they bring out purple ones for when Miss 3 is old enough to want one