Old 17th April 2011, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

Fine
Default The dreaded YLOD

Hi Guys,

Well, it's happened. My beloved 4 year old PS2-backwards-compatible PS3 has died. Ironically, it happened while playing Persona 4 - a (PS2) game I was trying to finish bearing in mind that my PS3 was probably on its last legs. It was.

Just wondering if you could tell me about your experiences with the PS3 repair process. In particular:
  • Did Sony repair it for you, or did you do it yourself?
  • If Sony did it, how much did it cost? How long did it take? Did you get back the same console, or a replacement? If the console still had a disk inside when you sent it, did you get it back? Did the repair last very long?
  • If you did it yourself, was it difficult? Did your fix last very long?
  • Anything else you can think of?
I'm primarily looking for comments from the Aussies here, since I'm in Sydney and will have to deal with Sony Australia. Happy to hear of others' experience though.

- YellowMegaMan

Old 18th April 2011, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

I created a guide in the Hardware section mate of my experiences.

I took the machine apart and fixed myself using flux, a heat gun and silver thermal paste.
Got my game back and even managed to do a full backup of my harddrive via network transfer from the old PS3 to a new slim PS3.

I then sold my old machine and so far have not heard that it has failed.

Click indicated the machine he fixed got him 3 weeks of game playing before it died. A second fix last even less time.

I'm under the impression if you send it away you will get it back minus anything on the hard drive as a new motherboard will not like anything you had previously saved on the hard drive so it gets wiped. This was the main reason I decided to fix myself, that and the fact it will cost you dearly to fix through Sony. Like the cost of a new one.

Not sure if anyone else has gone the Sony repair route.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Fine

Thanks Ancient_One. I see you fixed yours in December, so if it is still going, that's pretty good for a repair job.

I'm considering all options, but leaning towards getting Sony to repair it. I'm aware that Sony will reformat the HDD, but I still have the original 60Gb HDD I removed when I upgraded it. I plan to swap the HDDs back so Sony reformats the old one instead. Then when I get the PS3 back I'll swap them back again.

If that doesn't work, I do have a backup on an external drive I can restore... but it's 4 months old. But that's better than losing the lot.

Just waiting to hear from Sony about the cost.
Old 18th April 2011, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

Sorry mate but I think that will not work. It will work for standard save game files but any protected game saves will be lost for good as they are tied into the existing HD and Motherboard.

Actually I'm thinking if you swap the HD after replacing the motherboard it will want to format that hd. You will have to use the backup image you made but again you will not get the protected game saves only the standard one's.

Last edited by Ancient_One; 18th April 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Ancient_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fine

As I understand it, the limitations of the backup utility apply only if you restore your backup on a different console. If I have to restore to the same console (because Sony wiped the HDD), everything should restore normally.

Or is your point that Sony will replace the motherboard, meaning my backup restore (and swapped HDD) will think the console is a different one? That's a good point - I will add this to my list of questions for Sony.
Old 18th April 2011, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1464

Goofy

I have read and know someone that it has happened to, if you send it to SONY you won't get your 60gig back you will get a reco 40gig one.

I think from memory it's about $200-$300 including postage to get it fixed and you only get a 3 month warranty on repairs.

Try and fix it yourself. Your machine doesn't work so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Trust me and A1 it's is dead simple to fix. Just follow A1's thread.

Good Luck

PC - TOG|Click PS3-PSN - clickaus Guild Wars 2 - clickaus.9170
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 57

theres a decnt video one on youtube too,if fancy repairing it yourself.
i went to my local phone shop,the kind of place that fixs anything,he charged me 40 was fixed for day after,and well redo for free if ever fails(and all my hard drive data was saved)
diggers is offline   Reply With Quote