The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   PS3: PS3 Bluray dead! (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/363258-ps3-bluray-dead.html)

Pure Mongrel 19th May 2011 01:25 PM

PS3 Bluray dead!

So finally get on the PSN ... YAY!

Find out Bluray drive dead ... Boo!

Considering how I have barley used this console (The original released model), I am disappointed to say the least.

Disks eject ok, but it does not register any disk type.

Anyone know what it costs to get fixed?

Cindax 19th May 2011 01:57 PM

If your doing it yourself and you know what the problem is then as little at $20 for a new chip and up to $100 for a new laser or $45 for a laser alignment upto $170 for a replacement drive installed.

Personally I would get a new one or find out what options you have through official channels but if you dont use it, is it worth it?

Pure Mongrel 19th May 2011 03:53 PM

The only reason I am considering fixing it is because it is the model that first came out with the 4 USB ports, backwards compatibility, etc.

Ancient_One 19th May 2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel (Post 3142332)
The only reason I am considering fixing it is because it is the model that first came out with the 4 USB ports, backwards compatibility, etc.

Until it to dies. Then you will have an expensive brick.

Replace the drive mate in total. It's easy to do yourself.

Pure Mongrel 19th May 2011 09:01 PM

It is? Cool. Can you point to a guide mate or do I just google?

Xavien 20th May 2011 06:55 AM

omg, that really sucks mate :( ive quite often thought about if that can happen. I have a dozen or so blu-rays but dont actually use it a great deal. I hope it doesnt cost you to much to fix. Not sure what i would do if mine packed up. I think i would probably just buy a blu-ray and invest in an xbox and buy ff13 again :/

Ancient_One 20th May 2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pure Mongrel (Post 3142652)
It is? Cool. Can you point to a guide mate or do I just google?

Remember my sticky on the YLOD Fix ?

Just follow the video guide from YouTube - gilksy1's Channel for the break down of the PS3 but obviously only go as far as removal of the BlueRay then reverse the procedure to replace.

I think people are selling BlueRay players for PS3 on ebay but you could source from a reputable seller maybe, then install yourself.

Pure Mongrel 20th May 2011 08:48 AM

I found these guys and the quoted price is $150. I wonder if I should just do this?

Postal Repair Service for Gaming Consoles, iPods, and iPhones

Ancient_One 20th May 2011 03:25 PM

Does that include the delivery fee?

Sounds about right. I heard a friend got his repaired in Chatswood for around $120 but he took his machine in to them and collected it.

Cadder 23rd May 2011 10:33 AM

PM, I have two dead original release PS3 carcasses here, that I never got around to offloading onto Fleabay for spare parts yet.
AFAIK, the blu-ray drives are still working and just gathering dust, because both units were repaired-and-re-failed YLODs. If you're willing to let me tamper with your PS3's innards, I'd be happy to do a drive transplant for ye.
(International Standard Currency rates apply. - ie, for the cost of a decent bottle of scotch)

PM me and we'll arrange a meetup. I'm on the Goldy, as you know.