The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   PSP VITA (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/393523-psp-vita.html)

Krausser 24th October 2011 04:33 PM

PSP VITA

Hey Guys, Do any of you have a PSP VITA? could you please gimme good reasons for buying this handheld console. I'm planning to buy one but I have no insights about this console and what it can do. Is it worth buying? :)

Cadder 24th October 2011 10:00 PM

I saw it recently demonstrated at a gaming Expo here in Aus - It's not going to be released until December 2011 - February 2012 (depending where you are in the world)

As for what it's like... do a quick Google search, there are some great Youtube links showing the features etc.
Some of the "augmented reality" (AR) stuff looks very cool (imagine taking a photo of, say, the table in a cafe and then having virtual characters running/fighting/etc around the objects on that table during gameplay)
Physically, the unit is like a PSP with thumbsticks, plus it has a touch-screen and a touch BACK.
One of the demos of this they had was Little Big Planet - the player touched the front screen to push a block out of Sackboy's way (ie, "into" the background) and then touched the back of the unit to push another block out of the background into the foreground for Sackboy to jump up onto.

Chief 24th October 2011 10:11 PM

The thumbsticks are what sell it for me, it means action games are going to be much more playable due to there being 2, and they're also closer to ones on a real controller, not like the little nub the original PSP has which I can't use for more than 5 minutes before my hand cramps up.

Lasraik 26th November 2011 05:47 AM

I loved the PSP but I'm not sure I'm going to drop $400 on a Vita when I have other devices (like an iPad) that I can do some gaming on and serve more purposes.

The last few years I've enjoyed sitting on the cough and enjoying games with the surround sound blasting and not so much handheld gaming for extended periods of time. The Vita does look nice, but with the price point I doubt I'll be an early adopter.

Lukus 1st May 2012 04:44 AM

So my wife bought me a PS Vita last weekend (best wife ever!!) and it is super awesome!
Long flights (a regular thing for us :( ) are going to be far nicer :p
It's a serious upgrade on the PSP if you had one of those.

The only gripe i have so far is Sony's PlayStation Network - PSN. It's a joke. The PSV was bought in the States, I live in Africa (where there is no PSN) and i'm an Aussie.
So, which region do i make an account in? I can't make one in Africa (i'm not in South Africa, the only country with access) So i make an Aussie one, seeing as that's my "primary residence". But now i can't play any of the online content on the game from the US... great. Way to screw a paying customer.

So in review;
console = great
games are pretty cool so far, 'WipEout 2048' is really really good.
PSN = Rubbish unless you never want content outside your own region.

SemiproCharlie 1st May 2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukus (Post 3513014)
games are pretty cool so far, 'WipEout 2048' is really really good.

That's one of the next games on my list. I'm still enjoying Uncharted, though it is slow going. Not much of my gaming is done on the go, so it is basically just when I'm looking after a sleeping baby or the TV and consoles are otherwise engaged.

The augmented reality stuff has potential, though at this stage it seems to be just used as a novelty.

I was looking forward to Mortal Kombat too, but it appears it was refused classification in Australia :(

Chief 1st May 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukus (Post 3513014)
So, which region do i make an account in? I can't make one in Africa (i'm not in South Africa, the only country with access) So i make an Aussie one, seeing as that's my "primary residence". But now i can't play any of the online content on the game from the US... great. Way to screw a paying customer.

That really sucks, they don't let you have multiple user accounts each with it's own PSN account like they do on PS3? I use that feature regularly on the PS3 to download demos and free games from the US and Japan when they're not available in Australia.

Ancient_One 1st May 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 3513430)
I use that feature regularly on the PS3 to download demos and free games from the US and Japan when they're not available in Australia.

That's probably why they did it. :p

razalom 8th May 2012 11:43 AM

Loving my vita and especially Unit 13. Awesome game! Cant wait for Resistance at the end of the month.

SemiproCharlie 8th May 2012 02:10 PM

Yup, those are two titles I want to get around to too. That said, anybodies Vita wishlist is going to look pretty similar until we get some more games released!