The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   PSP good? (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/403656-psp-good.html)

Fox 10th December 2011 11:21 PM

PSP good?

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/...ml#post3364593

Drac has summarised well for me. Any others with tips?

(I locked that thread)

Ancient_One 11th December 2011 08:20 AM

I had a PSP Slim (3000) and used CFW (Custom Firmware) on it to enable me to use questionable software which included homebrew (user created software).

The Slim was a good machine only problem I had was the thumb stick which I had to change myself after 12 months. Not really a problem but was a common issue with the Slim.

PSP Go came out which was purely downloadable content I decided to stop using the PSP's all togeather. Was not sure abotu the future of gaming for this plateform.

The new PSP Vita has touch screens and better thumb sticks x 2 which sets it up for some pretty impressive games in the future. FPS games being one of them.

If your starting new to PSP the Vita might be the go if not interested in CFW. It's not going to be cheap though with pricing as high as that of a full console.

Anyone else like to comment.

Chief 11th December 2011 01:45 PM

The original PSP has a huge library of great games to suit all tastes, with CFW it's one of the best devices around. The latest CFW even lets you switch between custom and official firmwares hassle free. They're also pretty cheap, I picked mine up a bit over a year ago 2nd hand in perfect condition for $100.

I do find the little thumb stick really uncomfortable though, and it cramps my hand after about 20 minutes. But that's why I'm looking foward to the Vita, it has 2 sticks meaning action/shooter type games will be much easier to play, and they're actual sticks this time instead of little nub things like the current PSP has.

It also has some pretty nifty features like remote play. When I can't sleep I plug in the headphones, use remote play to turn on my PS3 down in the lounge and just chill in bed watching stuff on ABC's iview streamed via the PS3, all without waking the Mrs :)

plebc 10th May 2012 12:11 AM

apologies for posting months late, but I still love my psp. I have one from when they first came out (the 1000, from 2005, although the umd drive has died, but it still downloads and plays wireless against my other one) and a slim (the 2000, from 2007) which is still going strong. In fact I travelled with one for a year once and used it to do my banking via the very, very basic web-browser; stored my photos to show people; listened to music etc.

I'm probably going to buy a 3000 from the US as well so I can make sure I can still play all my games in 5 or 10 years, although I won't buy the E1000, sold in Aus/Europe, which doesn't have wireless. second-hand 2000's or 3000's should be $70-$90, although you'd be able to pick one up on ebay with a bundle of games for $100-$150.

loads of games available for $15 now in the shops, some absolute rippers. And it is the business for old arcade classics, retro games etc (check out - The Sony PSP Retro Compilation Library | RetroGaming with Racketboy).

I must have clocked up thousands of hours on mine, especially puzzle games - loved lumines and lumines II to death, every extra extend, gunpey. loved tekken, sf2/3, blazblue. loved williams/gottlieb pinball (arcade perfect recreations of tables from the past 50 years).

games aren't region-coded, so you can buy them from anywhere.

the new PS Vita looks cool, but is EXPENSIVE, and there is no backwards compatibility with umd discs (which has put me off buying one for the moment). the psp is also much more of a serious gaming machine than the DS/3DS (of which I have both - the 3DS is fun, though, especially for my young kids).

plebc 10th November 2012 12:31 AM

and now .. i have a ps vita. and I vote for it.