The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   PS3: what to get (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/430828-what-get.html)

Ninja Gizmosis 6th May 2012 04:44 AM

what to get

OK, with Dust coming out, it looks like I will be getting a ps3.
But what should I be looking for?

I am not an avid console user, in fact I think I will use a keyboard and mouse for playing dust.

Any help will be appreciated.

NG

SemiproCharlie 11th May 2012 10:31 AM

I'm not sure what you mean? If you have decided to get a PS3, then you have already made 95% of the decisions you will need to make! Your best bet is probably to keep an eye out in catalogs for PS3 sales and just jump on the next one that is bundled with a game you are interested in.

I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a Dust bundle, as they are aiming at the PC crowd a little.

Once you have got the console itself, you will need to buy a HDMI cable separately (or do they bundle one these days? They didn't for my 2 PS3s) if you have a HD TV to plug it in to. You could also decide if you want to buy a second controller, though I suspect that you won't need one of those if you are already talking about using a keyboard and mouse. I assume there is information out there suggesting that Dust supports those? I don't think any games supported keyboard and mouse for in-game controls.

Also, I'd recommend giving the controller a fair chance. I love my PC but kicking back in a beanbag or on a recliner for some console gaming is pretty good too.

George 11th May 2012 03:38 PM

There's plenty of gaming bundles around with various sizes of hard drive. If that's all you want to play the i suggest getting a PS3 with the small HDD. You can always upgrade your HDD at a later time and we have various threads on how to do it. As semipro said above i too wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a dust bundle that come out.

Don't be too hard on the controller side of things. It's really not that bad once you get used to it.

Funnily enough i'm looking to go the other way and get back into PC gaming. I've been lounging around with a controller for about 4 years now so going back to sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse is going to take some time to get used to.

Chief 11th May 2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George (Post 3524366)
Funnily enough i'm looking to go the other way and get back into PC gaming. I've been lounging around with a controller for about 4 years now so going back to sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse is going to take some time to get used to.

The beauty of PC gaming is its versatility. I have my computer set up in the spare bedroom and often connect my PS3 controller, set it to emulate a 360 controller and play console-ish games with the greatly improved graphic fidelity, framerate and loading times while lounging on the spare bed :D

Ninja Gizmosis 11th May 2012 09:26 PM

Aparently Dust will support keyboard and mouse as chatting between people will be required for taking contracts and such.

I wont say no to a controller ( used them before ) but I like my KBD/Mouse configuration.

And Dust will be on the EvE server/shard with the PC players..... Boy this is going to be good!

Trimethicon 6th June 2012 07:39 AM

I'm a diehard pc gamer, but I'm a gamer first, and I do own every console under the sun. Having 4 kids we've purchased every console from the Nintendo 64 to the XBOX and the PS3. I think NOT having a console you shortchange yourself because there are a lot of console only titles that are fantastic (i.e. Metal Gear Solid 4, etc.). I digress........

These days you're going to spend around $200-$300 for a new PS3, the price difference is based on HDD size. IMO, you need a 320 GB model unless you plan on downloading A LOT of movies. I've had a 160 GB model for 4+ years and I still have room. There are 2 types of PS3's, the "slim" and the "fat" model, the slim model is the newer of the two, SONY reduced the size of the original fat quite a bit. I'm still using the fat style. I'm always hoping mine dies so I can buy a newer slim but the darn thing just keeps working!

I'm like you; I cannot aim with a console controller, so I bought a console KB/mouse combo but its very finicky and we cannot get it to work. So, I'd be curious as to what your experience is, if you find something that works and works well please let me know.

The thing I LOVE about consoles - their cost and the fact that you don't have to invest money into upgrades every two years. And they require very little fuss to get them working. What I don't like is the controller on first-person shooters, I can hold my own in an online FPS pc title, I cannot on a console. I just purchased a new pc for Star Wars: The Old Republic, so I'm back to playing more games on the pc since I don't have any performance issues as I did with my old computer.

I think the pc is the ultimate gaming platform but sadly the pc gaming landscape has become a forgotten realm for most developers looking for shorter development cycles and increased revenue.

jbanzon 8th June 2012 04:56 PM

I have a 160Gb version of the PS3 and it already suffices me. I am not too heavy with music and movies though I have a separate hard disk for that so I think that would serve you just right.

Been using it for over a year now and I have never thought of getting an ever bigger hard disk for it. I guess that would just depend on what your priorities are with it.

Ancient_One 9th June 2012 11:20 AM

Gee whiz guys your doing well. Long story: Fat PS3 died. Got a free slim PS3 with a 3D TV. Swapped out the HD as soon as I got it with a 500GB. 160GB doesn't cut it with all the game installs and save files.

Maybe I have to many games.