Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > Console Talk > Hardware Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th February 2013, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2633

Default Rumour: PS4 to be announced on Feb 20. (teaser included)

Kotaku Linky

Old 15th February 2013, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

Hey Cap. Yup it's looking pretty promising that we will get PS4 this year. Worst kept secret of all time. Not sure I will be buying one any time soon unless the games become to resource hungry and require the power of the new console.

What do others think?

Last edited by Ancient_One; 15th February 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Ancient_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2183

Confused

For me it depends entirely on exclusive titles, only reason I own a PS3 now.

If Final Fantasy versus XIII (or whatever they've renamed it to) and Last Guardian are now PS4 games as rumoured then I will likely get one at some point. If Naughty Dog continue the Uncharted series on it as well (and perhaps a Last of Us sequel) then that will certainly sway me.

Hopefully they have a stronger launch library than the PS3 did. It was incredibly weak in the beginning and combined with it's high price tag and being launched a year behind the 360 caused some pretty serious losses for Sony.

Whatever happens, new consoles means nicer looking PC games as they'll finally be caught up somewhat hardware-wise.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain

I'll wait. Probably (inevitably) I'll upgrade when an exclusive comes along that's on my "must have" list.
The only game I'm really hanging out for at the moment is GTA 5... which, is still being touted as a PS3/X360/PC (later) title - console release date announced for September 17. I doubt the PS4 will be out by then.
O... and Lego Marvel Superheroes

So I'll sit in the wings and wait.

Techradar had this to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techradar
Sony has scheduled a big PS4 reveal in New York on 20th February. We expect to find out what the console looks like, what it will actually be called, what the specs are, what the launch titles will be and how much it will cost, among other details.
The PS4 release date is highly likely to be Christmas 2013 for Japan and North America, but we'd be very surprised if the UK and Europe get their PS4 release before Jan/Feb 2014. This is pretty much what happened with Sony's previous consoles and is backed up by various leaks and rumours. At least you'll have plenty of time to save up if you live outside of Japan or the USA.
As for release titles, I've seen speculation of Killzone 4, Day of Sex Deus Ex Human Revolution 2, Little Big Planet 3, Gran Turismo 6, Infraworld (from the devs of Heavy Rain), Assassin’s Creed 4, Uncharted 4, Blizzard MMO Titan, A PS4 Need For Speed title, Crysis 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid 5, Madden NFL, Fallout 4, Infamous 3.

As I said, most of these are speculation only... and the biggest "all-but-confirmed" is Killzone 4.

Last edited by Cadder; 15th February 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9492

Breezy

Son will want: Gran Turismo 6, Infraworld, Need for Speed and Killzone 4.

I will want: Assassinís Creed 4, Uncharted 4, Fallout 4 and Infamous 3.

If any title forces the upgrade then that's when it will occur.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1636

Amused

I cant believe it's almost twenty years since the original playstation, and its only on its fourth iteration. By that rate it'll be 2020 before the next PS.
Old 16th February 2013, 05:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6657

Grumpy

Doubt we will see this released this year - It will be day 1 though when it is released.
Old 16th February 2013, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain

I'd buy it for Just Cause 3.

Last edited by Cadder; 16th February 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Cadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7178

Paranoid

I just can't get excited over the idea of a PS4.

I have way too many games on the PS3 I just haven't had the time to finish (or even play!). The PS3 still looks jaw-droppingly beautiful to me.

Every generation of console has impressed me less and less when it comes to updated visuals. The only way I can see this console improving upon what we already have would be to run all games at 1080p and a constant 60fps, but I doubt the casuals will notice a difference. And let's be honest here, the hardcore gamers will be the early adopters, but if Joe Schmoe can't tell the difference between a PS3 and PS4, they're gonna be a tough sell 2-3 years down the road.

And don't get me started on the idea that the console could potentially be digital distribution only (hey Sony, how'd the PSP Go work out for ya?) or restrict the use of used games. All in all, Sony (and Microsoft) are really going to have to do something to wow me with their 8th gen consoles.

Check out my TOG Retro Gaming Blog!
psn: Crazy_Schizo xbl: LunaticSchizo
Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 09:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizo View Post
The only way I can see this console improving upon what we already have would be to run all games at 1080p and a constant 60fps, but I doubt the casuals will notice a difference.
...how about 3D at 1080p in 60fps with 3D positional sound ?

And new peripherals.