Old 20th June 2013, 11:12 AM   #101 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 2507

Hot

If their willing to make a drastic change like this, what's to stop them from making another drastic change back?

They're setting more precedence for them flip flopping on the fly.
Thymos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th June 2013, 11:20 AM   #102 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Lethal - Post: 6721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
The Xbone is bad move by Microsoft mostly because they're removing consumer freedoms whilst not actually giving anything else to compensate.
For me, the part I've bolded was the biggest problem. I didn't mind a 24-hour check-in because I'm never offline for that long. The problem was that the move was made 100% for Microsoft's benefit - the consumer got nothing out of it.

Well, that's not accurate either. The real problem was that Microsoft failed to sell the benefits to the consumer, which as I see it was their "family sharing" concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rica View Post
I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed about the reversal. I was looking forward to some of the features that came along with it. Mainly, not needing the disc again after you installed the game. IMO it's a step backwards
You won't need a disc for digital downloads, so if you don't like this change, just buy everything as a day 1 digital purchase and you are no worse off, with the possible exception of family sharing which will need further clarification from Microsoft.

Most of my games for PS3 are digital downloads (thankyou PS+), and discless gaming is so much better.

I'm happy with the move, because I think the original plan was bad for the industry. It had some good concepts, but it was aiming in a very "corporate greed" direction. I would have handled the revision differently though.

Firstly, I would have asked the community directly rather than just going off what the angry mob was yelling. Lay out that removing the check-in was going to cost users the family sharing option and discless play, and ask for feedback from fans, not from nay-sayers.

Secondly, if I wasn't going to consult the community, I would have left the 24-hour check in available as a choice, and bundle it with something for the consumer like family sharing. If you turn off the 24-hour check-in option or have not checked in, then your entire family sharing library gets disabled until you do. You could still play offline, but your family doesn't get the benefits of family sharing. Easy and fair.

Their used game policy was always a step backwards.
SemiproCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 11:23 AM   #103 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Lethal - Post: 6721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymos View Post
If their willing to make a drastic change like this, what's to stop them from making another drastic change back?

They're setting more precedence for them flip flopping on the fly.
Remember the outcry when Sony removed the Linux option from PS3? Imagine if the change they made after the fact actually affected someone. Imagine if it actually affected gamers! Imagine if some of those gamers were American lawyers!!!

I think Microsoft and Sony saw the ramifications of screwing over the customers. I don't think either of them would try this midway through a console's lifecycle.

I don't think.... I do stand to be corrected in the future
SemiproCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 02:28 PM   #104 (permalink)
Guild Leader
Guild Leader
The Old Republic
Deadly - Post: 1006

Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproCharlie View Post
I think Microsoft and Sony saw the ramifications of screwing over the customers. I don't think either of them would try this midway through a console's lifecycle.
I think Sony saw an opportunity to get back on top of the console game market simply by not being Microsoft and decided to seize that opportunity. When Microsoft realized another company was providing their customers with an option, they decided they would need to change their policy in order to prevent losing customers.

The backlash against Microsoft's decision started when they first announced it, they only changed their mind after gamer's were given another choice. After watching gaming companies continue to ignore the complaints of their customers time and time again, it is really refreshing to actually get a win for once.
Old 20th June 2013, 02:46 PM   #105 (permalink)
Average - Post: 237

Stressed

latest announcement from Microsoft regarding, is they've retracted the 1 game 1 console theory - wait long enough they'll see the writing on the wall for the rest of it and revert to the same plan as sony

Too many ppl complain, no one buys, they'll change it too make it more appealing, sony did the same thing last time round, announced a bunch of stuff then scrambled to do what the other guy did
Psyxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 03:47 PM   #106 (permalink)
Division Captain
The Elder Scrolls Online
Elite - Post: 2507

Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproCharlie View Post
Remember the outcry when Sony removed the Linux option from PS3? Imagine if the change they made after the fact actually affected someone. Imagine if it actually affected gamers! Imagine if some of those gamers were American lawyers!!!

I don't think.... I do stand to be corrected in the future
I was being a little facetious. I've enjoyed my PS3 since I bought it a long time ago. I still have an old gigantic PS3 80gig. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is that it doesn't read DVDs anymore. That's not so bad, since I already owned another DVD player. Plus, I like the controller more, but that's most likely due to owning the first 2 Playstations. I did have the real Xbox 1, but that crapped out on me. I was going to get a 360, but I didn't like how they handled their HDDs. I've been able to put a 500gb HDD in my PS3, which I was able to pick up for quite a good price without having to buy a sony HDD.
Thymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2013, 03:51 PM   #107 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 931

Hot

I think Sony Had the same deal with DRM and connection check in as MS. BUT after seeing the backlash MS got, they changed it so they would look like the heros of next gen and capitalize on it. Which is what happened.

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
Rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 12:49 AM   #108 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2938

Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac View Post
Haha, Xenoph, don't get upset about people expressing their opinions.
I don't get upset, I get frustrated that people are so eager to hack and slash at something without even attempting to see what is attempted at being done.
Especially so since it's 'pop' to hate on Microsoft (or any big company) while accepting the very same from other sources (Steam, anyone?).

The new Xbox One – what we lost and why it matters | Games | Geek.com
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2013, 03:55 AM   #109 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6656

Grumpy

Understandable but at the same time.....pussies.
Old 21st June 2013, 06:18 AM   #110 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Guild Officer
DOTA2
Deadly - Post: 2175

Confused

I really see no reason why they had to force their new system on people? Couldn't a game just come with a key you can tie to your account. You can then play as much as you want without the disc, share with friends etc as long as you have the 24 hour check in.

But then, if you have no internet and can't check in you simply have to have the disc in the drive to play.

Anyway, removal of the region lock is fantastic either way, all that ever does is screw over Australia and most of Europe.
Battlelog ~ PSN - Trent_Steele ~ Steam ~ Battle.net - Chief#6843

Last edited by Chief; 21st June 2013 at 06:25 AM.
Chief is online now   Reply With Quote