Old 22nd May 2013, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Lethal - Post: 6723

Apparently the TV reception includes HDMI input, IPTV, but also over-the-air broadcast via a TV tuner (probably sold as an attachment), so that part should work in Australia just fine. Whether on not they launch with that functionality in Australia is a different question.

Regarding the always-on requirement - Microsoft have said that the console will support connection to their Azure platform, and various publishers may use this for off-site processing, or one-time authentication, or weekly check-ins, or always-on DRM or nothing at all. If "always-on" isn't a fundamental part of the console, I'm happy with the options provided to developers.

From Exclusive First Look at Xbox One | Gadget Lab | Wired.com:
Quote:
Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoft’s Azure cloud computing platform. That leads to a few obvious and immediate applications: All your downloaded and installed games and achievements are synced to the cloud and can be accessed and played without interruption on any Xbox One you sign in to; stable, dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participant’s console; even multiplayer matches that can grow to 64, even 128 participants, rather than the usual limit of 16 or 32.

But other possibilities also come to mind. If developers are able to offload significant chunks of processing power to the cloud—conceivably even fundamental game mechanics like physics engines or collision-detection systems—that frees them to use local processing for even more intensive processes. In other words, the possibilities are limited only by the imaginations of thousands of game programmers. “It’s not like on day one, everyone will have figured out how to take advantage of that power,” Whitten says. “It’s just one of those stakes we’re placing.”
While they may still hamper used game sales, it looks like they might actually make it easier to take your game over to a mates place and play a few rounds.
SemiproCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22nd May 2013, 06:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2942

Cheerful

The ones makes the most out of used game sales are the stores anyway.

Personally, I don't really like buying used games since I know that the only one making a profit is the store (and what a profit they make - take in a game and get £5 for it - they'll sell it for £30+. I've often seen used games cost more than new games!!), and it means that the company making the game doesn't see any money, nor do they know if I as a consumer like the game and would purchase similar in the future.
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Squad Leader
2R Regiment Commander
World of Tanks
Deadly - Post: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenoph View Post
Can you show me where that has been said? As far as I've gathered, that's not the case.
Xbox One Does Require Internet Connection, Can't Play Offline Forever

Quote:
Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.
Couple that with Kinect always being on and "listening" to you also make people kind of worried what kind of information they are gathering with the console about their consumers :P. Then again you can just unplug the Kinect IF the Xbox works without it :P
burnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Cheerful

Once a day is hardly always on, though. Saying that, living in a country where it's unnatural to -not- have high-speed internet, I've never seen the issue with always on either - so I shan't argue too much on that subject regardless.

The kinect is only listening to the phrase 'xbox on'. Say what you want about Microsoft, but I doubt they'd be recording things unless you sign up for it.

Quote:
We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7178

Paranoid

Microsoft completely underwhelmed me with this one.

The 360 was the worst console I've ever owned. Cheaply made, chock full of ads, and requiring a monthly subscription to use features. I vowed that the next offering had to really wow me to even be considered worthy of my money.

So now they're pushing a device that replaces my cable box. Whoopty-doo, I already have a device that does that - it's called my cable box.

Do I need voice commands? Well, considering how well they work on my phone, I'll pass.

And finally, because I am an avid collector of old consoles and games, the online portion of the console disturbs me. What happens when they shut down the servers it connects to years down the road? I'll be a useless paperweight. Just like my 360 that doesn't output video anymore.

No thanks Microsoft.

Check out my TOG Retro Gaming Blog!
psn: Crazy_Schizo xbl: LunaticSchizo
Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6657

Grumpy

It is built around Kinect that is enough for me to say NO.

The only thing that will get me to buy it is if Red Dead Redemption 2 is an exclusive.
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

a game console that wants to be a tv remote, wow.
Mr.BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 22

Quote:
We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that.
thing is they could hide some language in some eula crap that we all agree to before we load any update, game etc, and there is your opt in.

I dont trust em at all. Data collection = big bucks.

and all of this because why? because having a person push a power on button was some sort of 18th century brutal chore?

Last edited by Mr.BigDaddy; 23rd May 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Mr.BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Advisor
Advisor
Lethal - Post: 6723

Currently, to play my PS3 I pick up the controller and press the PS button in the middle - the console and TV do the rest. It's really convenient and makes me much more likely to kick about in a game for 10 minutes while I wait for my wife to get ready to go out.

I think being able to say "Xbox on" and have it rapidly boot the console, turn on the TV, change the channel to the Xbox input, do the same to my surround sound, etc - that's all good stuff. Sure, I was capable of standing up and pushing a button or two, but I'm also capable of walking to work, and yet I drive. These little conveniences are... convenient!
SemiproCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BigDaddy View Post
and all of this because why? because having a person push a power on button was some sort of 18th century brutal chore?
So you still go over to the TV and use the buttons there, not a remote, I presume?
Progress and convenience.