Old 23rd May 2013, 10:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7158

Paranoid

And if I were a eccentric billionaire, I'd buy a Super Bowl ad that would consist of someone saying:

"Xbox on! Internet search: Two Girls, One Cup! Play!"

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do something

Check out my TOG Retro Gaming Blog!
psn: Crazy_Schizo xbl: LunaticSchizo
Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th May 2013, 03:20 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3283

Cheerful

NT

ArcheAge:Nekusar:Primeval

Last edited by Trimethicon; 27th May 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Trimethicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 07:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9308

Breezy

I'm trying not to laugh...........no really. Enjoy your new voice activated TV remote.
Old 24th May 2013, 07:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 6640

Grumpy

You are screwed if you get a cold and the machine does not understand you anymore
Old 24th May 2013, 11:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9241

Quote:
You are screwed if you get a cold and the machine does not understand you anymore
As a computational linguist, I am wondering which accent it is trained for, or do you have to train it separately for every person in your house? And what happens if channels are added or change their names? How adaptive is the voice parsing?

Sorontar

Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 05:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2936 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient_One View Post
I'm trying not to laugh...........no really. Enjoy your new voice activated TV remote.
I really loathe to use this word, but this post is what I'd call PS fanboyism at the highest level.
Coming into a thread about a console I presume you had no interest in beforehand taking a jab at people who actually want it. Nice.

They didn't show many games because E3 is two weeks away, there's no point. They announced, what, 15 exclusive titles? They have special deals for COD's DLC.
What on earth makes you think this isn't a gaming console just because they didn't show off tech demos as PS4 did?

I enjoy the discussions around the Xbox in this thread, but this post isn't anywhere near a standard of discussion I hoped to see in TOG.
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 06:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Squad Leader
2R Regiment Commander
World of Tanks
Deadly - Post: 1034

I guess people are just disappointed with the reveal of the Xbox One. Probably most had hope that it could stand toe to toe with the PS4 reveal, though that is not saying the PS4 showcase didn't have it's own downfalls as well.

Personally, I'm not into console. I just agree that the Xbox One reveal wasn't anything special really. Many people are just poking fun at it. No doubt there are some people who do like it and good for them.

I honestly hope that both the Xbox One and PS4 are good upon release because in the end, it's us gamers that benefit the most
burnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 10:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lethal - Post: 7158

Paranoid

Being a console collector, I'm always fascinated by new consoles when they come out. I love seeing the marketing strategies and how it plays out. Seeing competitors go at it is a freaking blast for me. Atari vs. Intellivision. Sega vs. Nintendo. Sony vs. Microsoft.

Already the MBA in me is seeing how Microsoft has really dropped the ball on this one.

The people who are looking forward the most to the new console reveal are going to be the gamers. Having the premier being game-centric and focused on that aspect should have been what MSFT touted. Instead they played up the media aspects of the new console. Reminiscent of what SOny did back when the PS3 was launched...and that hurt them initially (along with a cripplingly high price point).

From a technical standpoint, the Xbox One is inferior to the PS4. There is a really great article I read that tore down the known differences between the two consoles:

AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4

Most telling is in the system memory. Whereas both systems are using 8GB of memory, the Xbox One is only running DDR3 at 2.1 Ghz, while the PS4 is running GDDR5 at 5.5 Ghz. The PS4 has nearly triple the memory bandwidth of the Xbox One.

Now, that being said, the hardware should be a bit cheaper for the MSFT to produce compared to Sony. But wait! MSFT is going to package a Kinect in with every Xbox, which will add to the cost.

The result?

(wait for me to gaze deeply into my magic 8 crystal ball)

I think you'll see two similar consoles releasing at very nearly the same price point. One will be more of a media device that plays games, and the other will be more game focused.

Add in all the other caveats (internet connection required every 24 hours, blocking of used games, subscription fee for online play), and the gamers are probably going to flock to one console. And as we've seen in this generation, an early lead can make all the difference.

For the record, I'm disappointed in both consoles. Neither is a giant leap forward in visual or mechanical prowess as far as I am concerned. I already voiced my displaeasure in the PS4 reveal thread, and since the Xbox One is similar in architecture, I don't think it bears repeating here. I don't see much reason to purchase either at the moment. I'll probably stick to PC gaming and catching up on my backlog of games on all my old consoles for now.

But if you stuck a gun to my head right now and asked me to pick? The PS4 definitely seems like the better proposition on paper right now.

Check out my TOG Retro Gaming Blog!
psn: Crazy_Schizo xbl: LunaticSchizo
Schizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 09:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
Division Captain
Destiny & Consoles
Ace - Post: 9308

Breezy

Nice write up mate. If you're like my son, a Sony fanboy, then it's pretty obvious which console he will buy.
Old 26th May 2013, 08:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 609

Goofy

I still don't understand why Microsoft and the game developers feel they should be getting a cut of a used game sale.

Does any major car maker get a cut when a used vehicle of theirs gets sold?

I was hoping the new Xbox might have backwards compatibility, I was thinking of picking it up with the huge 360 library available. Guess I'll just buy a cheap 360 when the new console goes on sale...f* 'em.