The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Hardware Talk (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/)
-   -   Xbox One (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/494185-xbox-one.html)

xenoph 22nd May 2013 05:07 AM

Xbox One

So....

I'm getting it. :p

What do you all think? I've not watched the whole thing yet, only bits, and read selected portions - but it all seems very promising.
The integration of Kinect looks great.

Tachyon 22nd May 2013 07:35 AM

It looks cool, though for me it will depend on the details... subscription cost along with the cost and availability of entertainment sources. I'm pretty frugal, and happy with my current gaming options, so if it's a money sink, I'm probably staying away.

Chief 22nd May 2013 08:15 AM

That was incredibly underwhelming.

Kinect required to run, xbox live still costs money, dashboard still full of ads, controller still requires AA batteries. Rumour that used games will require a fee although I think microsoft are denying this now. I think games will require online activation though. No real game announcements, apart from Quantum Break everything else was just expected sequels.

Useless TV features, don't know about you guys but I really don't have that much trouble looking at a TV guide in the paper then pressing a button on a remote. Not that I even watch TV, that's what torrents are for :p

Wait and see what happens at E3 I guess.

Sony stock jumped up 9% after the conference so I guess I'm not the only one left unimpressed.

Trimethicon 22nd May 2013 09:37 AM

NT

Kaimahi 22nd May 2013 10:43 AM

Ugly looking, not backwards compatible and a fee for used games (from what I have read you need to download the disc to the HDD to play and you will be charged to do that on a 2nd hand disc which may cost the same as buying the game new....) so not that impressed so far but lets see what E3 brings.

On a good note the HALO tv show sounds awesome.

burnx 22nd May 2013 11:04 AM

A fee to play used games - Check
Always online - Check
Need to install games - Check

Underwhelming - CHECK!

Chief 22nd May 2013 11:10 AM

I think this sums it up nicely :p

Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights - YouTube

SemiproCharlie 22nd May 2013 02:31 PM

Bwahahahah! Great link Chief.

I happened to be up late working so I had the video streaming on the other monitor. To me it wasn't hugely overwhelming, but it left me about as impressed as the PS4 announcement. That is to say - it all looks cool and sounds promising, but as a gamer I'm still not entirely sure what I'm going to get out of it.

I like that Kinect comes standard in the box - it means developers can count on gamers having it and treat it as a serious part of the console. Especially with the improvements they have made this should allow lots of bits of gaming innovation, both big and small. Same for SmartGlass - with it being integrated in to the console rather than an add-on, it can be treated much more seriously.

The TV features aren't important to me, and I assume that they will work significantly better in USA then they will in the rest of the world, including here in Australia.

I haven't played a Call of Duty game for years, but the trailer for this one did look very impressive.

xenoph 22nd May 2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnx (Post 3835502)
Always online - Check

Can you show me where that has been said? As far as I've gathered, that's not the case.

PS4 isn't backwards compatible either. And they haven't even shown their console yet (who knows if it's actually built).
Overall, I think Xbox One looks way more promising than the PS4 - I'll reserve total judgement until I see the games at E3 though.

Ctrl+Alt+Del - Reveal (2013-05-22)

Ulric 22nd May 2013 05:24 PM

XBox 1 its only 359 steps backwards.

For those who are not in the USA and have access to unlimited bandwidth, and the video services that are geo locked to that country, I am failing to see the great attraction.

Paying to use second hand games or no taking a game over to a mates place, plus the requirement to pay to play online means that I am not likely to venture down the path of this console like I failed to with its predecessor.

I now eagerly await the next sony console to see if that will make me want to go out and spend $$.