Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Public Forums > MMORPG Games: The Realms > Landmark

Landmark All discussion regarding EQN's world building game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1st February 2013, 02:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3283

Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludy View Post
I agree that EQ2 at release was a bit of a let down but damn did they make it better. The housing, crafting, and mentoring were some of the best in MMO's. The whole idea that a guild could set up NPC gatherers that would supply the guild with a small trickle of raw mats was nice but the whole guild mat storage was fricken awesome. Guild halls mattered and people would some nights just hang out at the fountain (or whatever) and say hi to people as they used the druid circle. I have not seen a game with a better guild hall. EQ2 in the end gave more tools to guilds than just about ever other game.
I'll be honest, I didn't play EQ2 for longer then a few weeks, so I may have missed a lot of the features you speak of. I just wasn't feeling it. I want an MMO where I can't wait to run thru the door at the end of the day and login.
Trimethicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2nd February 2013, 02:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1331

Let me just add: EQ2 is currently the best MMO out there IMO. I don't play at this point for personal/family reasons, but the game is really amazing.

I am excited for EQNext.
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1450

Psychedelic

I still enjoy EQ2 from time to time as well. Definitely one of the best!
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2936 TOG Gold Level Supporter

Cheerful

I read something about EQ Next being heavy on PvP - are there any known info regarding that?
xenoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 652

Bored

I will definitely be interested in checking this out, but I'm kind of burned out on getting excited by upcoming games only to feel let down a bit once they release.

I also have a place in my heart for the original EQ, It was my first MMO and I played it on and off for about 10 years, I was in one of the last 2 Aussie raid guilds in the game until it folded. EQ is still going and still pumping out expansions, it has a hardcore following that Sony throw a bone to every year or 2 by releasing a new progression server, which is usually filled to capacity soon after launch.
Old 3rd February 2013, 02:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 933

Devilish

Lots of good looking games on the horizon, but this one is the big one for me. I just cannot wait.

Ranja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 837

Relaxed

EQ was my first MMO, and EQ2 is my favorite PVE-MMO to date. I'll definitely be excited to get in and give this one a try. I still enjoy revisiting EQ2 and catching up with things occasionally. Love the housing and the trophies and things we could put into our housing. Was lots of fun.

Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2013, 06:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2754

Buzzed

I am interested to see how this project turns out. Primarily because they have chosen to ditch the WOW model and aim for something more Sandbox.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 09:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4310

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbear88 View Post
I am interested to see how this project turns out. Primarily because they have chosen to ditch the WOW model and aim for something more Sandbox.
LOL I would call it the EQ model but I get what your saying

EQ1 was really a middle ground between sandbox and theme-park. EQ2 on the other hand is mostly theme-park in nature. I think that they are just seeing huge theme-parks die in a blaze of discontent. SWTOR I think really turned the industry away from "WoW clones". GW2, Neverwinter, PFO, and Archage all seem to be moving away from it in different ways. Either games are going action based, sandbox, or both.
Ludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 10:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 2754

Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludy View Post
LOL I would call it the EQ model but I get what your saying

EQ1 was really a middle ground between sandbox and theme-park. EQ2 on the other hand is mostly theme-park in nature. I think that they are just seeing huge theme-parks die in a blaze of discontent. SWTOR I think really turned the industry away from "WoW clones". GW2, Neverwinter, PFO, and Archage all seem to be moving away from it in different ways. Either games are going action based, sandbox, or both.
I think we both agree on the main jist but...

I consider what we see in GW2, Rift, WHO and WoW to be slightly different than EQ - hence I term it a WOW clone rather than an EQ clone. The way to level in EQ was to get a good group and grind a tough area together. The way to level in WoW was to run from ? to ? completing silly little quests.

I would love to see a transition back to old EQ and someone making a nice blend of themepark and sandbox. TBH I am not sure I would get much out of a pure sandbox. Cutting trees for 6h to make a little hut seems like quite a yawn to me. This is where EQ Next intrigues me quite a bit. I want to see what they come up with.

----------------
Have you ever really wanted to be a total rebel flipping tables on the enemy? - Vi themesong LOL
solarbear88 is offline   Reply With Quote