Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th October 2010, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1467

Default A few questions and observations

I was wondering about using the console commands in single player, is it possible?

I had an idea after watching a youtube video of someone making obsidian. I may be mistaken but i am sure i saw someone make a lava flow. Making a lavaflow and a waterfall together would make an never ending obsidian generator.

I found a massive cave by plugging a water course and following it down, there was more diamond than iron in there and tons of redstone and about the same amount of gold as i have iron. It seems iron is more rare on this map than diamond... at the moment. Not saying diamond is not rare so you get how little iron i have. Anyway, as i followed to water courses lower and lower i found lava and used a bucket to quench them into obsidian. I have been mostly using stone picks and the occasional iron one for redstone diamond and gold but now i have a fair bit of diamond i am wondering if obsidian can be mined with a diamond pick?

I found a dungeon and i was in peaceful mode and i looted the chests and mined up all the green cobble and then i turned my attention to the steel cage with fire in it in the centre of the room. I thought i might be able to take it with me so i used a pick to break it... and it broke. No block, gone. Then i found out what it was. I don't suppose i can spawn one of these with the console i spoke of up there?

I found a great way to get gunpowder from creepers. Make a big pool of water 2 blocks deep and lure them into it. When you kill them, their fuse goes out and they drop gunpowder... most of the time.

I found a hallelujah mountain.

More to follow.
Yvnu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th October 2010, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3916

Doh

Not sure about the console commands for single player. I was going to look into that myself to set a few warp points in my current map (keep getting killed).

Obsidian can only be made from stationary lava - not flowing lava. So your idea wouldn't work.

If you really need to know where resources are on your map, there is small program called Minutor (located here). The slider at the top cuts through each level in the map and you can quickly locate the closest diamond or iron. Can also be used to find the mob spawners if you are looking closely. (square shapes in the display).

Yes, obsidian can be mined with a diamond pick.

I've also tried to take the mob spawners (cages) with me but they can't be taken. I now construct a water trap just outside the room to kill the mobs. If you want to stop them spawning surround the cage with four torches.

From what I understand, spawning a cage from an admin command only will spawn pigs.

Hope this helps.
Old 8th October 2010, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Harmless - Post: 28

Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!at View Post
From what I understand, spawning a cage from an admin command only will spawn pigs.
An endless supply of pork? Fantastic!
nom nom nom
Neoccu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Cool i just learned how to make water traps. I have a few ideas to make them better.

I used Minutor and found 4 monster spawners under my base so i made a crap load of ladders and have made my first trap. I walled the room in nice and tight so there is only three sides that are open around the cage and then put water flowing across the floor leading into the trap. The trap itself is three wide and has three blocks of water feeding it. This is where i am going to improve the trap, i am going to make 2 more water sources flowing in from the sides so the monsters get pushed into the middle and are less likely to be able to tread water. The whole front of the trap is made from glass so i can see what is going on on the other side.

So far the cage only spawns skeletons and i am getting arrows but hopefully the other three will spawn different monsters.

I havn't destroyed the chest i found in the dungeon either. I don't know if they refill randomly over time but after having destroyed the first monster spawner and the chests in the first dungeon i found i have learned my lesson.

I also had a look at my world map. I am surprised that the world is so small considering i got lost for a day and a half trying to mine some stone to mark my spawn point properly. It took me three days to find the spawn again and it was right near where i built my base anyway.

I am trying to figure out how to get a screenshot of the entire map. I have mountains, islands, oceans, undersea structures, waterfalls, a halelujah mountain and there is a whirlpool type thing behind my island that eats cows and pigs (like a natural water trap) that i have found so far. This map is so nice if i could box it in and keep it in a rectangle shape around where i have explored i reckon i could be busy for 6 months.

Last edited by Yvnu; 8th October 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12th October 2010, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired Advisor
Retired Advisor
Lethal - Post: 7407 TOG Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvnu View Post
I found a great way to get gunpowder from creepers. Make a big pool of water 2 blocks deep and lure them into it. When you kill them, their fuse goes out and they drop gunpowder... most of the time.
Check out this monster collector machine
Old 12th October 2010, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 113

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Web View Post
That, simply put, is awesome.
Old 14th October 2010, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

I thought of another one, what i had in mind was a cascading waterfall, bordered in at the bottom and flushing into a drowner, with an island in the middle with a tunnel to the drowner. You stand on the island and act as the bait for the creeps to get washed into the drowner.

Is there a monster spawner that makes Creepers? I have drowners on monster spawners that spawn Spiders, Skeletons and Zombies. I can make arrows and get feathers from chickens the only valuable spawner i have is the Spider one for the string. Still it's nice having arrow, feather and string vending machines but it would be even better to have one for gunpowder.

I started a new world the other day and as i was building my home in the dark a Creeper jumped over the one brick that makes the wall on the bottom floor as i had forgotten to brick in the floor for the second level which makes the roof of the first. That was about thirty seconds of tense swordplay, running backwards around the central column before it blew the floor out of my house. I first bricked up the gap where the Creeper got in and then fixed the floor.
Old 16th October 2010, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 113

Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Web View Post
Monster collector active at wizen.collector. More to come at that location.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8350 TOG Silver Level Supporter

I have one at daedalus.zombie.park as well.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired Advisor
Retired Advisor
Lethal - Post: 7407 TOG Legend

luurverly!