The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public Forum) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/)
-   -   Zombies! (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/326179-zombies.html)

MadMax 25th October 2010 11:59 AM

Zombies!

Well after a lot of underground exploring and excavation, mainly because I haven't had an inspiration for what to build above ground I guess, I was digging away and there were all these noises, like either a growl or a loud snore. I kept diggging trying to locate the source of the noises and hacked away some cobblestone looking block above me and a zombie dropped on my head haha!

I've excavated right around the spawn crate now and plan on encasing them in glass but I was just wondering what I should do with it? DO I set up traps of some sort to kill them so they drop stuff or are they pretty useless? I did pick up a few items from their 2 chests. String was one of them.

So what should I do with my new plaything?

p.s. If you want to visit I created a warp:

MadMaxToo.zombies

Lots of natural underground caverns, flowing water and lava abounds in this area too.

Regards,
Max

Obsi 25th October 2010 12:20 PM

if you leave the chests there, will more stuff appear in them over time?

Sorontar 25th October 2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMax (Post 2939353)
So what should I do with my new plaything?

Use the string to put them on a leash and teach them to rollover. Even better, take them for a walk. A bit of sun won't do them any harm <evil grin>.

Justin Kace 25th October 2010 01:36 PM

If you leave only the block that spawns them and dig out a massively deep pit under it, will they spawn and plummet to their doom, leaving all the tasty treats at the bottom of the pit?

Yvnu 25th October 2010 02:31 PM

OK i have found several of these and boxed them in and made drowners with glass walls so they come towards me and then drown and give up their loot. It's like a vending machine.

The only thing you have to be careful of is make sure the area on the other side of the glass is doored or bricked off and well lit so you don't have any surprise visitors on your side.

This one is 2 blocks wide for spiders, not sure if they would fall down a single brick water collumn but for skeletons and zombies you can make it one brick wide. I havn't found a creeper spawner and i don't even know if they exist but if i did find one it would be a prize.

Having the flowing water in the room helps move them into the drowner. I am not sure if you have to keep the spawner above water but i do anyway.

So you see how it works, the monsters get in the water and with all the water pouring on them they drown and then the loot washes out the sluice at the bottom for you to pick up.

Beware spiders fit under the sluice but can't get up through the single brick space but they can get you when you drop into the sluice to get the loot.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3887/plansh.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Red = Spawner
Indigo = Water Block
Turquoise = Flowing Water
Light Turquoise = Glass
Light Yellow = Ladder
Grey 50% = Coblestone
White = Air

DangerMouse 25th October 2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yvnu (Post 2939441)
It's like a vending machine.

LOL - Someone (cant remember the name) built something like that next to my house at spawn village!

DaedalusAlpha 25th October 2010 06:34 PM

I found one at daedalus.zombiespawner if someone wants to play with it. It's in ground level inside a shallow mountain.

Thermal Ions 25th October 2010 07:27 PM

Come across 2 of the spawners so far. One above ground beneath a cliff overhang (just get them to chase you into the daylight) and one underground which I've glassed in the top of but not done anything else with for now.

They may come in useful at some point if/when damage and mobs are working properly. For now it's simply practice or perfecting one's trap design.

Obsi 25th October 2010 08:25 PM

there's a zombie spawn over near the canal near my castle :D