The Older Gamers Forums

The Older Gamers Forums (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/)
-   Minecraft (Public Forum) (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/)
-   -   Portals (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/minecraft-public-forum/327317-portals.html)

DaedalusAlpha 1st November 2010 03:30 AM

Portals

So I tried the portals out a bit on a local save. The wierd thing is I seem to never be able to get back through the same portal I entered! When I go back into the portal in the hell dimension I end up in some other portal (than the one I entered through) in the real world. Does this always happen or am I just unlucky?

I destroyed one portal I got through in the real world, and it just resulted in me teleporting to yet another portal the next time I teleported from hell ;)

Results in a lot of involuntary spelunking for my part as the new portals are always inside huge cave systems :)

If there are a lot of portals around the one I created I guess it's not impossible I end up in one of those instead and I have to destroy a couple until I have only my portal left as a destination. But if unlucky the game will always create other portals than the one I entered through, which results in a pretty useless travelling system.

MadMax 5th November 2010 01:29 PM

Interesting :

Hires well known artist, portals jumping across servers, ...

Survival Mode Multiplayer is priority #1 : The Word of Notch

Quote:

also want to make the portals able to teleport players between servers, both on different IPs and just to a different port on the same IP. Player equipment will follow through the portal and everything! (that will be agreed upon between the servers, so they donít have to trust the client)

DaedalusAlpha 5th November 2010 08:17 PM

This has already been mentioned in another thread and is not related to my question :)

Thermal Ions 5th November 2010 08:36 PM

Haven't tried the portals yet. Just asked Opti and he's mucked around with them but not ever tried to go back through the same one. Will see if I can get him to try it out a bit at some stage with the portals he has.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha (Post 2945520)
So I tried the portals out a bit on a local save. The wierd thing is I seem to never be able to get back through the same portal I entered! When I go back into the portal in the hell dimension I end up in some other portal (than the one I entered through) in the real world. Does this always happen or am I just unlucky?

Now seen some Youtube videos with the same thing happening, so not just you. While it's probably an approach that's got it's unique advantages, it seems a strange approach that's likely to be more annoying than beneficial in most cases.

Thermal Ions 5th November 2010 10:26 PM

Word from the TOG Minecraft server chat is that the issue has been rectified in today's patch.

DaedalusAlpha 6th November 2010 05:50 AM

Well I could have lived with it, as long as you destroy all offending portals, with enough tries you will probably find your own again ;)
It was also a damn nice way to find large caves.