Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 8th November 2010, 01:50 PM   #31 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
I think a lot is an understatement, even from you Manuzza.
Please note that the pre-release version of that statement had some swear words in it!

Manuzza
Manuzza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8th November 2010, 06:27 PM   #32 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1613

Amused

Far too many markers on there - LOL!

Can you add the option to turn on/off the markers?

Example here:

http://www.geocodezip.com/v2_MarkerCheckBoxes.asp

Should be pretty simple:

markers.visible(false);

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/doc...#MarkerOptions

How are you guys generating the map? (eg language etc)

Last edited by DangerMouse; 8th November 2010 at 06:33 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 07:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

We are using minecraft overviewer
https://github.com/brownan/Minecraft-Overviewer
its python, but Manuzza has some other php script that parses the warps file. I also would be keen for him to add a magic button that toggles the warp points, but I don't know how to do it myself.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 08:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Isn't there any support for hiding markers until you're zoomed in?
Say we add a public.name naming scheme. Then those are the only ones shown when zoomed out, and then when you zoom in far enough the other markers show.

Or somehow dynamically show only say 20 markers at any one time, so you have to zoom in if you want to see all markers.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 08:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4010

Cheeky

No, I like being able to see where the general action is - I wouldn't want to have to zoom to see it... I think an on/off toggle would be a much better option
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 01:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2610

Cynical

People, could, you know, like, delete some of their redundant warps.........
| Aegis: Retaliator
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R
| RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 02:12 AM   #37 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOGAddict View Post
People, could, you know, like, delete some of their redundant warps.........
I'd suggest that a list of the non secret warps be linked here so people can check and delete in-game those which they personally created and no longer need / want.

Note that I'm not suggesting the list be maintained here - just a one off posting for review. I'm all for things like the warps being an automated process rather than tying up the Server Admins with mundane manual tasks.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 04:29 AM   #38 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Personally I'd rather see we have a "public.name" system. While I'm sure people can remove unnecessary warps, will they?

There is also a difference between a warp you want to publicise like daedalus.castle to a warp that isn't secret per say but probably not very useful for someone else like daedalus.temp23.

Therefore I think it's better that you have to put some sort of effort into making a warp public, as to the opposite that will undoubtedly result in warp spam. There isn't any lifetime value on warps so as soon as someone forgets to remove a temp warp it's there to stay and bog up the map.

Optimally I think I'd like something with prefixes like:
public - shown on map, maybe with a limit per user to prevent eventual overload.
[nothing] - not shown on map (but maybe possible to toggle on?), temporary; removed after 30 or 60 days if not used, unlimited number.
secret - not shown on map, not temporary, unlimited number.

So to make something public or private it'll require a small amount of extra work, which hopefully results in most warps ending up in the temporary domain which will help us keep warps to a minimum.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 9th November 2010 at 07:31 PM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 09:46 AM   #39 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4010

Cheeky

Quote:
Personally I'd rather see we have a "public.name" system. While I'm sure people can remove unnecessary warps, will they?
We've been through all this before though... (though yes, people should be encouraged to remove warps they don't need, particularly around spawn)

why should people who are happy for people to go visiting their locations, make the warp name longer by putting "public" infront of it. I use my warps a lot, and I don't want to have to be typing in an extra "public" to each one of my own, or other people's I visit.

Quote:
private - not shown on map, not temporary, unlimited number.
We have that now - it's "secret"

Honestly I think it's cool to see all the warps on there, because it shows the areas people have been in, and can help you work out possible locations for settlement - otherwise you have no idea until you've made your lavish home and started excavating a wine cellar, only to realise you're perched above someone elses lava-filled cavern of doom ... and your rubble (and horrified shriek) interrupts their evil overlord doings.... and badness ensues (involving lasers of course) - just because that wasn't visible from the surface.

The map is so big now it's advantageous to go find yourself a spot away from anyone else's claimed areas, but you're not going to know where people are working unless you can see the warps.

But perhaps it can be filtered so that any .temp ones (including ones named .temp4" etc.) are ignored by the map - since they might move or be nothing of interest...

I don't know if I like the idea of expiring warps... what if we end up losing some warps to great heritage listed locations that aren't visited in that time...
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 10:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2610

Cynical

The only thing that MAY be needed is a map toggle for those that want to see or not see all the warps.

Frankly I like seeing all the warps for all the reasons Obsi just listed. It just needs people to be a bit responsible for their own warps and remove ones that are no longer needed.

Also with all the warps being shown it should be relatively easy for people to see their redundant warps. I know I removed about 8 of my own yesterday once I found out what they were and made several more secret (to cut down on easy warpability - I personally believe exploring should be part of the 'game' - but thats for another topic)
| Aegis: Retaliator
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R
| RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is offline   Reply With Quote