Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th December 2010, 07:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4025

Cheeky

well partly that's because people may have constructions underground which aren't shown as warps on the map (setting a /home or "secret" warp for example won't show in the warps on the map) - so you want to make sure you're not building in a spot already taken by someone else.... and your main reason for claiming it is so that you don't end up with someone building on the land you'd set aside for your own creations.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13th December 2010, 09:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
your main reason for claiming it is so that you don't end up with someone building on the land you'd set aside for your own creations.
Indeed. Most of us like building big but even large constructions can cause problems if they aren't in defined areas. Not every railway is suitable to run past the Kingdom of Atlantis or through Mordor and Mt Doom. Not every new city is well located if Manuzza has already built a giant underground pyramid beneath its cellars. Not all areas have clearly defined walls. Nor are all constructions finished or next to each other in an area. Thus, you set a single .claim warppoint and post a message with the rough area of your claim before you make any major builds.

Sorontar
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 10:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8333 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Well if you really want to be so specific about which areas are claimed and which are not, then we need a much better claim system.

You just can't expect members, especially new members to understand that they have to look through 20 threads where they have to correlate a map picture with a real place in the game and know where the boundaries are. It just can't be done. It's too advanced.

Either a new more easy to understand way has to be used, or you have to expect these kinds of things, just as I warned about when it was discussed the first time. That time we came to the conclusion that we shouldn't be so worried about it, so don't get all upset now, we all agreed not to.

As long as an unclear and sub-optimal system is used for this, you can't blame anyone for making a mistake.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 13th December 2010 at 11:12 PM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 12:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

Cheeky

no, the claim system isn't perfect, but in the absence of any better solution, it's what we have.... and as limited as a single point on a map is - it's still enough to show that there are vast amounts of space seemingly not claimed at all (so could be suitable for building on), and spaces that are claimed.... and if there is a construction in view of where you are.... it's a good indication that there may be someone's claimed area there or nearby...
Old 14th December 2010, 04:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Competent - Post: 467

Sleepy

You can't rely on seeing constructions to indicate claims as some constructions blend into the terrain or are beneath the surface. So until an in game system is implemented I can see the value of a forum based approach.

Sticky a claim thread on the first post have a link to a screen shot or the Google map with the full usable map area revealed and manually update claim zones on to it. Inform all current players on the server and all future players that this thread is the most vital thread in existence for the TOG Minecraftian world.

Don't hide it make it visible and make it current - take a look at the Independence Community Map Project thread from different game as an example ~ Community Map Project v2.0 ~ On Hold.

Its a sticky on the forum - it was manually drawn from exploration and is updated manually as the areas are settled and roads are built etc. Whenever a player has a doubt about their location or areas nearby they look at that map.

We could do something along these lines - the basic idea - use the map to find places to explore, check the map before making a claim or using the land and finally get your claim added to the map. If everyone knows where to look and follows the process there's some 'protection' from 'accidents' and hurt feelings.

Last edited by Orcneas; 14th December 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Orcneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 08:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Cheeky

We used to have something similar to that... but if you look at the map, you'll see that doing something like that in a single image is impossible now.... so the only way to do it would be to make a series of images.... you'd need like hundreds to fit it all in....

Go try doing it... you'll see what I mean (but if you succeed, then that would be awesome!)
Old 14th December 2010, 10:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2760

Innocent

Hey Obsi - with the new map restrictions, I think this could be a bit more possible...?
(no idea on the mechanics, but I may play with a 'claim map' based on previous posts and see what you think - eg - if you have to set your claim on a map at X zoom, then with the new borders it may be easier to collate claims? - what do you think?)

But at the end of the day, I think if you are going to claim a piece of land, you must have a fairly serious piece of work in mind, so we should (as has been said before by Obsi and many others) work together on this...have a look around and be aware of what is around you - post your interest and sit for a day or two - if someone has a previous claim or issue, I'm sure they will let it be known - if not then a couple of days or so delay is not going to have that big an impact on your design.

And if your too impatient to ask and wait, then I might suggest your playing on the wrong server, and shouldnt be too surprised when you are asked to remove something.

The only real rule we need is a bit of consideration, a touch of patience and 20 minutes to look through some posts.
Old 14th December 2010, 11:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8333 TOG Silver Level Supporter

What if someone creates a grid over the map at a certain zoom (that is deep enough to show claims on)? We then number the grid and make a thread named after the number for each cell (with the picture of the cell map in the first post). People who want to claim stuff then check through the corresponding grid thread for any previous claims in that grid, then marks their own claim using the picture in the first post as reference and post an answer to the thread with their claim. We could even name the cells (like counties) instead of just numbering them.

All the cell threads would be stored under a single sticky. At the top of this sticky is the whole map zoomed out so the whole grid is visible, and each cell is numbered so you know which thread is related to it. I'm thinking a start size of maybe 8x8 or 6x6 cells could be good?

Edit: example:
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 15th December 2010 at 12:06 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 03:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Guild Leader
Architect
Minecraft
Deadly - Post: 1667

Happy

If you go with 8 regions, you could 8 grids inside those for specific zones. Which would give edges of 64 blocks keeping in minecraft numerology.

Then a claim could be noted something like 7:2/4:4 for a single map block.

I do think it would be helpful for those who have closer claims to each other. At the very least it would give a better guide, over a hard border.

Though I do admit first hand that the map can take some time to understand scale wise.

My "orignal" claim:

My current..works:

Though I am glad noone is near me yet. My current project is eating more time and land than I ever imagined it would, but it is nearly done. Maybe before Christmas. took a few fraps of the building process will try to but something together. For a sneak peak misnik.overlook or misnik.overlook2.
Old 15th December 2010, 03:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 566

Amused

The other possibility is to do a little traveling and use getpos to mark the 'four corners' of your land - or even just work them out in blocks. I know this precludes circular claims, but nothing is perfect.

We could then all look at who has what claim areas and if you use getpos it is easy enough to see if you are inside somebody's claim.