Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16th November 2010, 01:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3666

Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
The main challenge was understanding the wiki diagrams (Redstone circuits - Minepedia - The Minecraft Wiki!).

So, a few questions before I visit your place again tonight
  1. How do you stop a cart?
  2. What happens to a cart once you exit?
  3. How do you get a new cart (or get into the old one)?
  4. How do you start the cart?
Sorontar
1. A dirty great wall.
2. ATM, nothing but one you get out, a booster will come and return it to the magazine. When you arrive, just before you get to the wall, you go over a reverse biased curve turning to behind the side wall. The booster will then come along and push the cart back, then it will hit the curve you traveled over, taking the cart into the inner working of the station.

3. Currently, you have to press a button to get a new cart from the magazine. I want to change that to auto dispensed once you have ridden off in the current one. But as I mentioned, cattle might end up using all the carts.

4. Get in!

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th November 2010, 03:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1249

Amused

Is it possible to just have a really long loop and the carts just move around the loop, and you just jump on one as it goes past?

Can you have several moving on this same loop at intervals?

I have no idea what is or isn't possible with carts and what sort of rules they follow. how to place them, start them, stop them etc

Made a start on my underwater subway last night, but not sure what to do with the tracks etc
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 03:52 PM   #43 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9159

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Is it possible to just have a really long loop and the carts just move around the loop, and you just jump on one as it goes past?
At the moment, any cart that isn't in the same world chunk as people, won't be up-to-date. It might not even exist. The bug with people trying to move in a cart between chunks got MCDiga stuck earlier today and I had to restart the server before teleporting him away. The minecarts have lots of bugs. People should only think of local usages until they get fixed (but that doesn't stop you doing large scale designs).

I am also worried about the lag on the system this might cause when trying to keep up-to-date. I don't know whether this will be an issue but it is a concern of mine.

Quote:
Made a start on my underwater subway last night, but not sure what to do with the tracks etc
Keep them dry And don't feed them after midnight.
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 04:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 2056

Lurking

Actually, i have found a booster every 23 blocks can happily carry unladen carts around quite a sizeable track

What you can do, is have 1 booster every 23 blocks, after the 7th booster, a missing track block missing, so the cart stops, you get off, push it, wait for the regen, then jump back in as it approaches the next booster, then go back to 7 booster stage

Or, have a loop where the cart is travelling around, you can board a cart as its travelling past you, jump off at the 7th booster area where the cart turns back, then wait while world-regens, then board the next loop

Edit... addition

have the loop with a break in it, so when you return, you know there is a cart there waiting for you

postcount=++
SnakeTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 04:41 PM   #45 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 76

Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeTails View Post
What you can do, is have 1 booster every 23 blocks, after the 7th booster, a missing track block missing, so the cart stops, you get off, push it, wait for the regen, then jump back in as it approaches the next booster, then go back to 7 booster stage

Or, have a loop where the cart is travelling around, you can board a cart as its travelling past you, jump off at the 7th booster area where the cart turns back, then wait while world-regens, then board the next loop
7 boosters would be a large enough distance for 2 stations to be apart anyways. We could just force it that you have to hop out of the cart, into the station, instead of having a loop, that could last forever. If the cart/world-regen bug gets fixed, then we could just go back to having our "stop or don't stop" way, just like Mad Hatter's.

Also, you can hire me to place all the tracks/redstone/switches in our subway, if you wish. You guys will have to build the tunnels though (presuming its underground) or do something to show me where the tracks peices go.
Optical Array is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 10:19 AM   #46 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8318 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Nam I checked out your station, really cool stuff

I added a booster in a place where it seemed to be needed, I think the cart returning works a bit better now. Although it still wonks out from time to time.

It's pretty funny with all animals entering carts. I had one hilarious moment when a cow entered a cart that was reclaimed. The cow followed it all the way up and into the cart storage
When I recalled the cart again the cow was still in there
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 12:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 816

Breezy

with regards to carts, can they be removed from use and put back into your inventory. single player its workable, but Multiplayer I dont think so. Anyone found otherwise?

MCDiga
Old 17th November 2010, 02:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

a touch of TNT renders the cart pick-up-able every time.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 02:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2818

Drunk

Really? That's my strategy for getting feathers too!
Old 17th November 2010, 03:02 PM   #50 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9159

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_one View Post
Really? That's my strategy for getting feathers too!
And fishing? Barrumandi is a bloody big fish.
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote