Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14th November 2010, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

Default RFT: Brdige railway system

I'm inviting railway experts to submit tenders for the design of a rail system for our magnificent bridge. We haven't actually got a name for the bridge yet,but it has been a massive team effort, and I thanks everyone for their donations and labour so far. Samah in particular has been a massive important part of the design and construction of the tricky bits. Now the main road is finished in the middle, its time to lay train tracks and have some stations at either end for passengers to traverse. Please see the warps bridge.w and bridge.e for the location of stations, and the width of trackwork required.

Criteria for the successful tenderer:
* Demonstrated ability of design of cart and track systems, with boosters, passenger interface and perhaps even signalling considered bonuses.
* Extra credit for vision of a greater rail system over the highway that stretches from the bridge back to my place and onto Obsi castle.
* Provision of resources is not necessary, but a bonus. The intention is to mine the required iron ore (already underway).
* Provision for passenger terminals, with facilities and other standard train station equipment.

The intention of this tender process is to discover the individual or consortium that has a passion for creating a kick-arse rail network beginning with the bridge stations (one at either end). Would also consider some modification to allow rail traffic over the arch of the bridge, if a suitable technical solution did not impact the appearance of the bridge in a noticeable way.
Please submit all applications in this thread in the following format:

Name of individual or Consortium:
Previous construction efforts: (list warp points)
Brief Description of ideas or intentions to accomplish the above goals

Applications close at midnight on the 15/11/2010 AEST.

Remuneration for the successful tender includes the following:
* Naming rights of the two stations at either end of the bridge (can be as vain as you like)
* 64 gold bars.
* Other reward is negotiable, as part of the negotiation phase of the tender process.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14th November 2010, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3675

Cynical

one thing you'll need to watch for is the bug where while in a boat or a mine cart, the map does NOT auto generate. You will come to the end of the map, and you will get stuck. I have done this a few times, and restarting the server is the only way to rid your track of rotting corpses.

Once you hop out of the cart, the map generates, and away you can go for a bit more.

It does not make a difference if your fog is set to near or off, the map end at the same point.

Hopefully this bug will be fixed soon, as its hampering my own long rail project!

One more thing, you might need to find a way to keep the cows away, i had mine set up to run, and a cow jumped in it and took off, never to be seen again!

I've got my own test track in nam.outpost, but what i have learned about boosters comes from DangerMouse.

Some other observations:

only passengers work in boosters, empty carts, or create carts don't really work.

the "loopback" and incline boosters work very well.

linear boosters work, ok, and can be used for dual direction travel, loopbacks are one way - well with any efficiency any way.

In closing, we really need the map drawing bug to be fixed for a decent rail system to be implemented. I have tried a multi-stop linear boosted rail link, and it is a real pain!

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious

Last edited by Non Action Man; 14th November 2010 at 04:38 PM.
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3675

Cynical

I take it back... check out this!

Watch out, there's a subway in Minecraft! CraftHub

though this is in single player, and so somethings might be working better than in multiplayer mode.

EDIT: I have made some track points - although some tweaking is requied, as you zip by so fast, you miss the switch quite often!

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious

Last edited by Non Action Man; 14th November 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 02:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Deadly - Post: 1483

Lurking

LOL

one crazy subway
Blizzard BattleTag: Puca#1729
Dela Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4026

Cheeky

OMG - that station is a work of genius! we need one!!!!
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9272

One wonders how much Notch had planned all of these redstone circuit/cartways possibilities. The subway is very impressive engineering.
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1658

Amused

DM's Ride of the Damned is open for business...

Warp to "dm.ride"

"We are not responsible if you catch on fire while on this ride"
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cheeky

Quote:
Extra credit for vision of a greater rail system over the highway that stretches from the bridge back to my place and onto Obsi castle.
I've wandered the path, to see what can be done here.... I don't want the tracks too close to my castle, but there is a road I made going around my land sort of making a border to Foxman's area, which I think could spare a few spaces on one side for tracks... of that's ok with Foxman (or we could go underground basically following my path)

I didn't actually know until today, but the canal that goes from spawn, and goes to Foxman's castle, actually continues under it, to the sea.... So, there are a couple of ways I can see that we can get a rail system from the bridge, right to spawn.

If the track can basically follow your road to blacksock's house.. you then come to a bend in the road... Now.... here's where some decisions need to be made.

Option #1 - If Foxman is ok with the idea... the track can continue straight along the path, to where it starts to rise from the sand, and can then go undergound to meet up with the canal.... if the canal is widened 1 block above waterlevel (effectively making a footpath alongside the canal), the track can then run all the way along the canal right into spawn village (widening for boosters only when needed, in places that doing so won't encroach into Foxman's stuff)

... I think the town hall/library would then need to be converted to also become a train station - which is easy to do and makes that an even more multipurpose building....

Option #2 - If Foxman doesn't want the tracks in Morning Light (which is fair enough), then the track can branch off in one of 3 places........ depending on how close the track is wanting to go ..... I see a new lighthouse that's not on the map yet.... which is on the piece of land to the left of the jutting out bit... so the bottom-most line might be too close (unless it goes underground).... but then there are 2 other lines that could be taken to bring the track level with the edge of my claimed area... and from there it can follow my path on an L shape, to meet up with the canal...

The canal is shown as a blue line... I've scribbled some potential track paths on in purple
Old 14th November 2010, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1365 TOG Platinum Level Supporter

If the railway follows the road to the little beach/bay then goes underground to the canal then that's fine with me. The less surface work the better from my point of view.

A word of caution though, I have some rather extensive 'catacomb' tunnel networks running under my region so widening the canal *may* break into one of my pilot tunnels or a vertical shaft so be sure to use safety harnesses

ArcheAge :: Nesox
Foxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Cheeky

Excellent - thank you Foxman!

Foxman has made a path into the canal, and widened it under his castle, I've widened it the rest of the way to spawn, and laid down track.... we've got both sides done, so you can go up one way and down the other. So it just needs the pathway continued along to the bridge...however you guys want to do that...

I've also marked out a spot behind spawn village for the spawn station.... where I was kinda hoping we could make one of those stations where the carts can continue around the loop on a circuit - at the moment there is no loop, as the track just ends, but surely we could make it loop??