I think we're going to have to have 2 servers to best meet the needs of the 2 differing types of players.
So with that in mind, I say we keep the current server as it is, if we can trim it down in size to allow 2 servers.... and that becomes the "creative" one, with the settings basically as it is now
- I would like the ability to warp between servers, but if that's not possible I still think 2 servers are going to give better gameplay for all involved than to try to conform 2 lots of players to the one space. I don't like the idea of creating a walled off "safe" area - for the reasons someone else said about that discouraging any exploring or movement out of that area.
Starting map(s) afresh
- While I was against that idea at first, because I'd hate to see our work lost, if we need to start again to have a fresh server with imposed size restriction so it doesn't get out of hand again, then that would be ok. I think creation of a "survival" server would need to be on a new map (for the benefit of there being no buildings there to hide in etc.
- Mobs / Animals - No to all mobs. Yes to animals. Ideally I'd like to see the ability to kill the animals, and if we can drop the spawn rate so there are fewer that would be good. I wouldn't be adverse to removing the animals if thats what people want either (since they serve no purpose and are becoming annoying).
- Damage - no to all damage
- Warps - Yes to warps. Warps allow you to travel to key points on the map to look at what others are doing. Without that a lot of the social aspect I believe will be gone. While there is an argument for creating a rail service instead, it's not going to work. There are too many locations in too many directions to have a rail system that would service the area - not to mention the fact that you can't just plonk rail down where you want to - as people's claimed areas will fall between points you want to connect. I don't want to see a map of rail lines everywhere just to avoid the ability to warp. It seems silly to me.
- Teleporting (yourself / others) - yes to teleporting to others, no to teleporting others to you (should be modmin use only). While I don't think it has been abused yet, the ability to teleport someone to you, against their will, I don't think is necessary.
- Kits - as they are currently
- Mobs / Animals - Yes to mobs (though ideally I'd like creepers off, since they damage buildings). Yes to animals (need their resources)
- Damage - I like Crime's idea for falls to decrease to 1 heart rather than death (though I'd prefer no fall damage). I don't like the idea of other players being able to harm or kill other players... I think that would impact on any community feel and lead to potential problems.
- Warps - Since it seems the survivalists are against warps, I'd be happy for no warps on the survival server. Or perhaps give modmins warp ability so that warps could be created if they are later deemed necessary (like perhaps a safehouse)
- Teleporting (yourself / others) - Again I don't think teleporting others should be on either server. I'd rather have teleporting on (for the social interaction side), but if it's decided to be off that's ok.
- Kits - Restricted, so that you can only obtain resources from gathering them yourself (or trading with someone). That includes no admins spawning things for players.
on warps/teleporting - some argue none should be allowed so that people can't escape from danger... personally I think players should have the choice to do that or not - use it if you want, don't if you don't want....(and I think you'd have more of the "creative" folk willing to venture over if they knew there was always that option to avoid harm if they wanted)... If you respawn at a spawn point rather than where you were last when you die, I suppose you won't get into situations were it would be necessary to warp out (like being stuck in lava, encased in rock or falling off the edge of the world or something), however that is a problem on the no-damage server, where you could otherwise be trapped there forever :P
It could be argued that having a warp thing available where players can travel between servers would allow them to escape danger and potentially mine for resources in the safety of the "creative" server.... I don't know if any limit is (or should be) imposed on carrying inventory across..... (just putting that out there for thought)