Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25th November 2010, 12:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2629

Cynical

Ah ok, well if its rendering the 'blank' areas then the proposed circle should 'fix' it as if those blank areas are filled in at a later date it shouldn't be making that much of a difference? So prune to the proposed circle sounds ok.

One of the admins correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes I too noticed that warping seemed slower, not sure if that was being caused due to a similar issue, I think somebody said there was literally like a million files in existance on the server at the moment.
| Aegis: Retaliator, Reclaimer
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R
| RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th November 2010, 10:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9210

Default Border at 8500 block radius on Monday

The Admins have discussed the various possible ways to trim the present world and we have decided to set the new border at 8500 blocks from Spawn. This is a circular radius and will be set on Monday. From that point, no-one but Admins will be able to travel, warp or teleport further out. You will be stopped and a message will be displayed on the screen informing you that you have reached the border. This border will be invisible, but the community can manually set up beacons or fences where it is deemed necessary.

Now this border (and the subsequent trimming) will mean that some existing constructions will be inaccessible and removed. This is unfortunate but necessary so that we can all get the most out of the hardware and software we have available. The delay until Monday is to allow people to take photos of their works and remove any items they have beyond the future border. We ask that players still respect each other and respect the work and playing of others, even if their constructions will soon be gone.

The trimming will not necessarily occur on Monday, but the border will. We will tell you when the trimming will happen as we will need to shutdown the server during that time.

As a guide as to where will be affected, I have roughly indicated the border on this copy of the last map.

The warps that will be beyond the border are believed to be:
TopOfTheWorld, aquarium, dm.lavafall, dm.north, dm.pool, dm.rocks, dm.waterfall2, dm.waterfall3, dm.waterfall4, dm.waterfall5, dm.waterfall, exe.exp, exe.northhouse, exe.pumpkinbarn, frozen.lake, frozen.sea, jooh.exp10, jooh.exp11, jooh.exp12, jooh.exp13, jooh.exp14, jooh.exp15, jooh.exp16, jooh.exp17, jooh.exp2, jooh.exp3, jooh.exp4, jooh.exp5, jooh.exp6, jooh.exp8, jooh.exp9, jooh.exp, jooh.wonder, mmog.ice, mmogaddict.claim, muz_explore, muz_p2n, muz_p2w, nam.outpost, nam.temp, orcneas.claim, snaketails.incline, snaketails.lavacave, snaketails.mine, snaketails.sandmine, snaketails.shaft, snaketails.splunking.adventures, snaketails.tunnel.n.top, snaketails.tunnel.n, snaketails.tunnel.w.top, snaketails.tunnel.w, snaketails.1, zombies.on.ice

I repeat myself. On Monday, these warps and the lands beyond them will no longer be accessible. The TOG world may be shrinking but hopefully it will allow us to improve the game.

Sorontar.
Sorontar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 12:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

pumpkin barn removed, and then blow to tiny pieces
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 09:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1639

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
no-one but Admins will be able to travel, warp or teleport further out
Just wondering why an admin would do this? Also it looks like there is only really a hand full of explorers which caused the map to be trimmed... if admins decide to go walkabout wouldnt it just cause the same issues... Im not saying that they will but they could
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 09:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

I think the admins will be restricted shortly after everyone else. just in case something is missed or mistaken
Old 27th November 2010, 09:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1639

Amused

Cool... I was just wondering, thats all
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 10:35 AM   #27 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2629

Cynical

Will the new boundry allow for exploration inside it? Cause one of the reasons for exploration was for interesting Biomes, so to 'replace' some of the lost stuff we would need to explore some of the blank bits inside the new circle.
| Aegis: Retaliator, Reclaimer
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R
| RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 10:56 AM   #28 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

The whole idea is to get people to explore the area within the border rather than starting tendrils on the map (which increases the size of the map). After all, you have around 246517000 surface blocks to find. That might take a while.
Old 27th November 2010, 10:58 AM   #29 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2

Who could ever want more than 246million blocks?
Old 27th November 2010, 11:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain

Not to collect Exe. I meant for all avid cartographers to add to the map once we can start updating it again. Even with the trimming, it will be a massive world. Just think of how much we have managed to put in the 1000x1000 block around spawn without stepping on each other's toes too much. A 8500 radius circle will still be plenty. After all, a lot of the map adding so far has been caused by people having high range sight on, i.e. a lot of the chunks generated weren't actually visited. Therefore, you don't have to go to unmapped sections in order to find new wonderous places.