Old 24th November 2010, 05:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dangerous - Post: 569

Amused
Default Chunk Borders

Hi,
As I am planning a largish rail system in the clouds and I think it may cross some kind of a boundary I just wanted to check how you can tell them.

I have a line where I cannot attach a block one the side of the block next to it. It appears to be a long line like this. Is this a chunk edge?

Thanks,
C.
Cheith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th November 2010, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheith View Post
Hi,
As I am planning a largish rail system in the clouds and I think it may cross some kind of a boundary I just wanted to check how you can tell them.
I have a line where I cannot attach a block one the side of the block next to it. It appears to be a long line like this. Is this a chunk edge?
I have never encountered that before. Chunks are most visible in the ice on the map. I don't see them ingame except (I think) when warping into a new area whilst the chunks are being loaded. I am not aware of any barrier to construction except the top and bottom of the world (and bedrock blocks).
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3674

Cynical

the clouds are only a few block under the max world height, maybe your hitting the ceiling?

the only other reason i could think of is that your connection to the server is dropping out and not loading the new chunks.

You can only really see where a new chunk should be when you have fog turned off, the farthermost "on" fog setting pretty much eliminates seeing the unloaded chunks

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Amused

Okay, thanks guys. I guess it is just a weird bug or something then. I have a multi-block long line where you cannot attach a block to one particular side or an already placed block. It is at all altitudes. It is basically a vertical plane through the game space that seems to have no other effect than this.

I am sitting right on the top of the clouds, as in my current base block is split horizontally in half by the top layer of clouds, so I have plenty of upward build space for what I am doing here.
C.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Guild Officer
Warrant Officer
Star Citizen
Elite - Post: 2673

Cynical

Also just check to make sure they aren't just invisible, I have that problem on occassion with fences and stairs, some will be fine but then I'll get a line of them that go invisible unless something is placed ontop of them.
| Aegis: Retaliator, Reclaimer
Origin: M50, 325A, 350R, 890
| RSI: Aurora MR, LN, LX, Constellation
Banu: Merchantman | Xi'an: Khartu-al
MMOGAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOGAddict View Post
Also just check to make sure they aren't just invisible, I have that problem on occassion with fences and stairs, some will be fine but then I'll get a line of them that go invisible unless something is placed ontop of them.
Yup, checked that thanks. When I try and attach I don't even get an 'attaching' sound like you usually get. It just refuses to do it.

The line actually intersects my large cylindrical tower (which is about 60 blocks high or something like that) so I've tried this a lot!! It is just strange.
C.
Old 24th November 2010, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9236

Known bugs - Minepedia - The Minecraft Wiki!

It may not list your problem, but it is rather extensive.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 3674

Cynical

Ahh, I remember getting the same thing when building my elevated road. the only way i found around it was to start again a few blocks along, and build back to where you stopped.

NAM

"I am a Pantera's box you do not want to open" - Mr. Furious
Non Action Man is offline   Reply With Quote