Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th December 2010, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 76

Bored

It took me that long to write that?!?!? Wow!

Optical Array is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th December 2010, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4010

Cheeky

Quote:
In my experience as a corp leader in EVE I have found out that many players don't look at the forums very often at all.
Well they have to look at the forum to see your suggestion....

Quote:
in all honesty I think you belong to the half empty part
Well clearly you don't know me, and would know that's not true if you did.... but that's fine... feel free to make this a personal attack on me, and make public judgements on my personality - based solely on a few of my posts on this forum... just because I dare to state an opinion that differs to your own...
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 04:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Ace - Post: 9129

Like Obsi, I would not want to make sign posts listing warps in my area. I make sign posts for signs, messages and instructions. The key to all my area is exploration. "Seek or you will not find" is the motto (see sorontar.seek). Hence labelling warps to everything is not in line with this.

That said, there are warps to most parts, but not all. On my thread I have provided photos and descriptions to tempt people to come to my area. In some cases I gave warps to get you to good vantage points or general sections. However, I also discuss areas that *don't* have warps or for which I haven't mentioned the corresponding warps. That is done intentionally.

My eventual plan is make a large Scandavian-inspired section. I do not plan to tell you the warps for every troll cave, every fjord, every drakkar longship. I will tell you how to get to the land but it will be up to the players to find them. I don't want to signpost it.

As to the warp thread, yes I think that is as good a signpost as I ever need outside of my thread. I have listed the warps to the main points but more are in my thread.

So no, including a signpost in my area listing my warps is not good. It is contrary to my aim within the creative MC.
Sorontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Retired Captain
Retired Captain
Elite - Post: 2691

Lurking

It seems like a valid enough idea for those who wish to utilise it. Like the warps themselves, people can choose to avail themselves of it or not. Neither option (signs / forum) precludes anyone using the other also, or conversely requires them to.

I'd suggest maybe instead of a wall on spawn village, set up a suitably sized building scaled and designed to fit the surroundings, say call it the "Travel Agency" and people can add their signs on a couple of the walls inside. If there's insufficient space then excavate one floor below to add more - the lower levels could utilise all 4 walls.
Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

Playing:
Killing Floor - Other Stuff
Thermal Ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 4010

Cheeky

Quote:
I'd suggest maybe instead of a wall on spawn village, set up a suitably sized building scaled and designed to fit the surroundings, say call it the "Travel Agency" and people can add their signs on a couple of the walls inside.
Sounds good!
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Average - Post: 172

Nice, I will use and create warp signs as soon as the building is up. I like to explore (as you know) and have been waiting for a solution like this. It's good this can be optional because of all conflicting thoughs.

The warp central should has its own warp name. Any suggestions?

How to separate and group signs on these walls in a good looking way? Maybe putting signs on different block types. Exploring areas on dirt and constructions on wood blocks?
joohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 11:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8306 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
It seems like a valid enough idea for those who wish to utilise it. Like the warps themselves, people can choose to avail themselves of it or not. Neither option (signs / forum) precludes anyone using the other also, or conversely requires them to.

I'd suggest maybe instead of a wall on spawn village, set up a suitably sized building scaled and designed to fit the surroundings, say call it the "Travel Agency" and people can add their signs on a couple of the walls inside. If there's insufficient space then excavate one floor below to add more - the lower levels could utilise all 4 walls.
Yep this sounds good to me. And as everyone is pointing out it's purely optional to add your warp to this building. If it doesn't fit your style of play then don't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joohansson View Post
How to separate and group signs on these walls in a good looking way? Maybe putting signs on different block types. Exploring areas on dirt and constructions on wood blocks?
Well if it's like my first suggestion you only put up a single sign here with a text like "Joohansson: jooh.index". jooh.index does then exist somewhere else on the map (next to your house in spawn village, up in the air, on the ground or under the ground) and there you make another wall with your various warps. Then it's up to you personally how you want to group them, it's your wall after all.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 12:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
Yep this sounds good to me. And as everyone is pointing out it's purely optional to add your warp to this building. If it doesn't fit your style of play then don't do it.

Well if it's like my first suggestion you only put up a single sign here with a text like "Joohansson: jooh.index". jooh.index does then exist somewhere else on the map (next to your house in spawn village, up in the air, on the ground or under the ground) and there you make another wall with your various warps. Then it's up to you personally how you want to group them, it's your wall after all.
Yes that sounds good.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

Here is my first attempt to this idea:

jooh.warps