TOG Latest

Chris Roberts Recognises the Star Cit...

The rising interest in Star Citizen in TOG has gai...

Warthunder heard throughout TOG

The sounds of Warthunder is being heard throughout TOG

Dota 2 Release

DOTA2 Released.

Planetside 2 Release 20-Nov-2012 PST

The long awaited and critically acclaimed PlanetSi...

Division Latest

TOG MindCrack - Mining, Machines, Mag...

TOG's MindCrack Minecraft server offers all that's...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Machines and magic in Minecraft - 'Fe...

Over the vacation period, a "Feed The Beast" Mod p...

Get to know your guildmate interview ...

Ral Partha interviews TOG member and Guild Wars 2 ...

Go Back   The Older Gamers Forums > TOG Strategy, RPG and Other Games > Minecraft (Public Forum)

Minecraft (Public Forum) Build it and they will come

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19th December 2010, 04:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ace - Post: 8254 TOG Silver Level Supporter

Smile Suggestion

How about creating a second message board in the TOG village?
On this message board every player would place one sign with a warp name to their "HQ". At this warp there is (optionally) a second message board with all the warps this player want to publish.

This way it's easy for anyone to find warps and publish warps. No need to go through numerous threads in the forum to find someones specific warp name.

For an example look outside daedalus.tower where I have a small message board with my warps.

I'd love if everyone had this so I easily could go around and check stuff out at my leisure.

See it as a folder structure: The spawn village message board would be ROOT. You then choose a sub catalog based on each member name (warp listed on the message board) and warp there. When you arrive you are presented with a secondary message board that is a sub catalog to the particular member. On this all their warps are listed and you can jump around and check their stuff out. This secondary message board position isn't important, it could be in the middle of nowhere for all I care, all it needs is a warp leading to it, and a list of warps on signs in the vicinity of it.

I guess this sounds more advanced than it is. As a user all you would have to do is:
1) make a wall with your warp points written on signs somewhere
2) create a warp there (calling it maybe just [your name] or [your name].main or [your name].index)
3) put up a sign on the spawn village notice board with the name of that warp.
GW2 characters:
Little Molok Asura Engineer

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 19th December 2010 at 11:23 AM.
DaedalusAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19th December 2010, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Deadly - Post: 1597

Amused

Yeah sounds good to me.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3995

Cheeky

well I have 2 different areas, and I know others have 2 or more... which would we put up the warp to? and I don't want to have an out of place notice board in my areas giving people the warps anyway...

There was a text file of all the warps, if you don't want to look on the map or through the threads. I can't recall off the top of my head what the url for it is.... but we do also have the warp thread... which we stopped using because all the warps are now published on the map and to the text file, so it wasn't really needed... but I'm happy to keep updating the warp thread if people want to post their warps
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Team Fortress 2
Deadly - Post: 1389

the text file for the warps is: http://tog.swoit.as/minecraft/warps.txt
its updated everyday.
exekewtable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

My point was that I wouldn't have to go out of the game and get my immersion broken if I could find all warps inside the game grouped by user. Consider if it's a long and complicated warp name. You can't have the game in fullscreen and see the warp name at the same time, and you can't copy and paste in minecraft. Sure a minor annoyance as you can just shrink the window, but still an annoyance you wouldn't have if you read it off a sign ingame.

Many of the warps in the textfile is very uninteresting, having the highlights pointed out by the one who made them is much more useful for a casual explorer. You can also have small explanatory texts for each warp if you show them on signs ingame, which you can't get in the textfile.
Sure you can have all this in the forums, but again I don't want to have to search through the forum to find some warp I read about 5 days ago where I only remember the name of the one who made it.

I don't understand why you are so anti all my ideas Obsi? You seem afraid of all kinds of new thinking. And turning down this idea just because you have two main areas is down right childish and you know it. Just put it on a wall next to your house in spawn village and it doesn't matter how many main areas you have, it's just a relay anyway. It's not even like I'm forcing you or anyone else to use this system, I'd just like to see it available.
GW2 characters:

"Each day I don't get an attempt on my life by a robot from the future I see as a personal failure"

Last edited by DaedalusAlpha; 19th December 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite - Post: 3995

Cheeky

I'm not against all your ideas... I'm just stating my opinion...

Quote:
Many of the warps in the textfile is very uninteresting, having the highlights pointed out by the one who made them is much more useful for a casual explorer. You can also have small explanatory texts for each warp if you show them on signs ingame, which you can't get in the textfile.
I agree, which is why I like the warp thread better - where I've separated them into some categories and given a description... but that's only possible to do when people post the warps to add... But if people won't post their warps to the warp thread, I really can't see them going to the effort of making warp signposts for people...

Quote:
And turning down this idea just because you have two main areas is down right childish and you know it.
It's not childish, and that's not the reason why I was turning the idea down.....I was simply pointing that out (given your idea seemed to be an idea to find one person's warp on a noticeboard, then go to there and find their other warps all conveniently listed on a board) that people would have to either pick one place to have as their main warp and then have an extensive noticeboard in their area listing all their other warps... or have more than one HQ listed on the spawn noticeboard (which then doesn't make the one convenient warp thing it seems you want).... or set up a special warp-listing spot just to have their noticeboard of warp signs...

The reason *I* don't like the idea is that I don't want an ugly noticeboard in my area - which won't be in keeping with the way I've set up my area - just for the benefit of others who don't want to look at an external thing to find my warps.... Yes, I'm selfish, but I don't want to go out of my way and spoil the look I'm trying to achieve in my areas just for the benefit of others (who may or may not ever actually visit my locations anyway)

If some people want to do it, that's fine... but people have a right to give their opinions on an idea you want us to participate in... particularly if it's involving erecting a large new noticeboard in spawn, which is a public area.

There are also several other flaws in that plan... like if a warp is a long and complicated name it's going to be spread over several lines in the sign.... you can more easily provide a description of the warp in something like a warp thread...I'm hoping eventually a cut and paste thing will be available in game, which would make a warp text file or forum list more useful than an ingame board.... It's a reasonable amount of work for people to do, just so that you don't have to un-immerse yourself from the game for a few seconds to go look at a warp list.

Last edited by Obsi; 19th December 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Obsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsi View Post
... But if people won't post their warps to the warp thread, I really can't see them going to the effort of making warp signposts for people...
In my experience as a corp leader in EVE I have found out that many players don't look at the forums very often at all. Perhaps as many as 50%. I don't know if this holds true for Minecraft but it would seem likely we have similar numbers here. So people not posting their warps in the forum does not mean they won't do it ingame as that is seen as easier than going to a forum you're never on. I know it seems trange to us who are often on the forums, but it's just the reality.

Quote:
The reason *I* don't like the idea is that I don't want an ugly noticeboard in my area - which won't be in keeping with the way I've set up my area - just for the benefit of others who don't want to look at an external thing to find my warps....
In that case I would suggest burying it underground. Perhaps in some creepy cave or tomb or similar. Give it no exit and it all gets even creepier
(I'm thinking of the Stargate SG1 episode where they first met Thor by being teleported into a dark room with no exit and having to complete several trials)
Or build a grand underground cathedral with magnificent water and lava falls with the only purpose of displaying your warp points. In short, make something good out of the bad. And just hide it away to not distrupt any ground views, with no exit it can't possibly be seen from the outside. Or don't do it at all, I wouldn't force anyone but I would expect it to be in ones best interest if they wanted to show off their work to as many as possible.

Quote:
If some people want to do it, that's fine... but people have a right to give their opinions on an idea you want us to participate in... particularly if it's involving erecting a large new noticeboard in spawn, which is a public area.
Sure I want people to give their opinions, but there are two ways to give them. Either you try to find everything bad you possibly can about the suggestion, nitpicking and not trying to understand the underlying idea, or you see it as it was intended to and locate the parts you don't like and suggest changes to make it better. It's a glass half empty / half full sort of mentality. And in all honesty I think you belong to the half empty part. If I want people to come down on every idea I have I can go to the EVE forum with all its trolling, but in here I sort of expect a more grown up way to analyze suggestions and ideas without immediately seeing them as crap.
GW2 characters:

Old 19th December 2010, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 76

Bored

I think both of you have very good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAlpha View Post
...go out of the game and get my immersion broken...
Yeah, once I can no longer see Minecaft on-screen, then I lose some of my will to play.

Quote:
...have more than one HQ listed on the spawn noticeboard...
I can understand your reasoning there, so here is my proposal. Have the noticeboard list the "spawn-house", and have a noticeboard in there listing all of someone's HQ's.

Quote:
...if it's a long and complicated warp name... ...annoyance you wouldn't have if you read it off a sign ingame...
You're conrtradicting yourself there I think - if it's a long name, then it won't fit on a sign!

Quote:
...The reason I don't like the idea is that I don't want an ugly noticeboard in my area... ...?...
Huh... it seem's I'm reading stuff that isn't there. I thought Obsi said something about people not wanting their warps public. Well either way, not wanting an ugly noticeboard is fair enough. You shouldn't have to force everyone to participate. This system could be just a secondary way of finding warps. And even though you didn't say anything about it at all, I still agree about public/private warps. Though you could list the public ones, while not listing the private ones.

Quote:
...Many of the warps in the textfile is very uninteresting, having the highlights pointed out by the one who made them is much more useful for a casual explorer. You can also have small explanatory texts for each warp if you show them on signs ingame, which you can't get in the textfile...
Point...

Quote:
...But if people won't post their warps to the warp thread, I really can't see them going to the effort of making warp signposts for people...
Something to do in-game perhaps?

Quote:
...anti all my ideas...
Watch out, you'll make Obsi angry!

Quote:
...Yes, I'm selfish...
At least you admit it.

Overall, I think I would go with the noticeboard thing. But I would very heavily go against forcing everyone to do it.

Optical Array is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 01:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mostly Harmless - Post: 76

Bored

Huh, you post just before me DaedalusAlpha...

Optical Array is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2010, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nah I was a good 20 minutes before
But good points
GW2 characters: